Need Advice! Munich to Strasbourg to Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2014, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a trip to Europe this May and am thinking that I will visit Munich, Strasbourg, and Paris. I plan on staying in Europe for 2 1/2 to 3 weeks, spending about 3 or 4 days in each city. I will fly into Munich, travel by train between the cities, and fly out of Paris. Should I purchase a Eurail pass? If so, which one? Or should I purchase point-to-point tickets? I am on a student budget so I am trying to keep the costs low.

Any additional advice on where to stay or what to do/see in those cities is greatly appreciated!
Old Dec 26th, 2014, 03:24 PM

You're previous post is similar, are you sure it doesn't answer this question?

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-and-paris.cfm
Old Dec 26th, 2014, 04:10 PM

As you will be making two(?) total train trips, I fail to see how a Eurail pass makes any sense.

FYI, buying tickets well in advance can save you a lot of money especially on the Strasbourg-Paris train which is a TGV train. You want to shoot for a "Prem" ticket (non-refundable/non-changeable), which can be purchased only 90 days in advance, and they can sell out quickly.

Also, if you really want to save money, you can take a bus from Munich to Strasbourg. Looks like you can travel for about $30 USD (www.MeinFernBus.de for example - looks like the bus runs only a few times a week, direct, 6:40 travel time). I see there is also a daily direct TGV train that you might get for $60 USD if purchased early. The train is of course likely to be much more comfortable.
Old Dec 26th, 2014, 04:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Andrew is correct and that $60 price is for a direct, no-change, timing, too. Book the ticket 90 days out; you can do the Munich-Strasbourg leg using the Bahn.de site. If you register you can pay online with a credit card and print your ticket out at home.

You do NOT need, or want a pass for this two-part journey.
Old Dec 26th, 2014, 04:58 PM

With 3 cities in 2.5 weeks you will have time to do a couple of day trips.

Without knowing your interests it's hard to make specific, but you could do:

for Paris - Versailles, Chartres or Giverney

From Strasbourg - Colmar, the wine road south from Strasbourg, Rheims and Eparney for champagne houses

From Munich, possibly Innsbruck, some of Mad Ludwig's Castles and the bavaian alps
Old Dec 26th, 2014, 05:37 PM

I would do a day trip to Salzburg too from Munich if you have time.
Old Dec 26th, 2014, 05:40 PM

Where the bus makes more sense from Munich to Strasbourg is in the case where you haven't finalized your plans and need to be more flexible. Booking a week or two out, that TGV train may cost 2X or 3X more if you hadn't booked it yet, but the bus is likely still to be about $30. If you can commit months in advance to the Munich-Strasbourg train, I'd book that at the 90 day mark to get the cheapest price.
Old Dec 27th, 2014, 01:24 AM

Buses are very much the down-and-outs mode here in Europe, avoid.

Take a train, far more smooth and spacious, it's the civilised option - if you book early at www.bahn.de/en Munich-Strasbourg starts at just 29 euros - $35.

Then book Strasbourg to Paris from 20 euros at www.capitainetrain.com
Old Dec 27th, 2014, 08:03 AM

There's nothing wrong with the buses in Europe - I've taken them a few times in various countries. They are nothing fancy but a step up from buses in the US in my experience. I always prefer trains (doesn't everyone?) if the choice is practical and not 3X the cost or 2X the travel time or something. Someone traveling in Europe on a "student budget" as the OP notes may indeed wish to take a bus to save a few bucks.