Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   21 Year Olds in Europe-Suggestions Please (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/21-year-olds-in-europe-suggestions-please-111373/)

Bonnie Mar 10th, 2001 07:16 PM

21 Year Olds in Europe-Suggestions Please

Looking for first-time trip ideas to Europe for three 21 year-old females. They like night life and daytime beach atmosphere(they'll have worked really hard to make the money for the trip and are happy to relax and soak up the local atmosphere.) They'll be in Europe for 28 days. Need countries to see, hotels or B&B's to stay at, and restaurants once the itinerary is planned. They're counting on all the knowledgeable Fodorites out there. Thanks.

ting Mar 10th, 2001 07:24 PM

There are no beaches in Europe.

Brian Mar 10th, 2001 07:35 PM

Beaches and nightlife! <BR>Greece (Athens & Mikonos) <BR>Italy (Capri, Cinque Terre) <BR>France (Cannes, San Tropez) <BR>Spain (Barcelona, Ibiza) <BR> <BR>I don't have any info on hotels / restaurants...grab a Lonley Planet or Let's Go guide at a bookstore for all that info. <BR> <BR>If you are travelling in the summer, try to firm up your plans ASAP as things get really really busy. <BR> <BR>All of these cities are great fun, have good nightlife and most have fantastic beaches! <BR> <BR>Enjoy!!!

Anna Mar 11th, 2001 05:01 AM

Be sure they read Europe Through the Back Door by Rick Steve's, it is an excellent information source for first time travelers to Europe. They'll probably have the most fun staying at youth hostels with other travelers near their own age. www.eurotrip.com is a good place for information too.

Bonnie Mar 19th, 2001 08:06 PM

Thank you for narrowing down the areas to look into. Could someone suggest what small hotels in these areas would cost, approximately? What should they budget for per day?

Philippe Mar 19th, 2001 10:00 PM

I'm sorry but you don't explain exactly where you want to go.Beautiful beaches are numerous in France.Where do you want to land from USA ? Paris ?Lyon ? Nice ?Do you want only to see beaches,to enjoy the sun and sea, or do you want to know how France is beautiful ?That's the real question. <BR>I probably help you to make your trip but please,explain us your goal... <BR>Friendly .Philippe <BR>I am french and I live in Lyon.

Ben Haines Mar 20th, 2001 01:00 AM

Fodors <BR> <BR>Rather boozy nightlife and beaches are available at Ibiza in southern Spain and Siofok on the southern shore of Lake Balaton in Hungary. Pleasanter spots for both are Barcelona, and Kesthely, on the northern shore of Lake Balaton. On Lake Balaton hot pants are in. <BR> <BR>In general, apart from Krakow and Prague, the countries of central Europe are a third of the price of countries in western Europe. By central Europe I mean Poland, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania, and Bulgaria. For beaches and nightlife there they might look at three areas. First, the Masurian lakes near Olsztyn in Poland. From Dusseldorf or Berlin overnight trains with couchettes take you to Warsaw, change for Mazuria. Second, for night life, Cesky Krumlov in the Czech Republic, five hours from Vienna by day trains, or overnight from Frankfurt via Prague. Third as I said, Lake Balaton, a day train from Vienna via Budapest. The Baltic shores of Romania and Bulgaria are probably too far off, unless they're going to Tranylvania anyway, an overnight train from Vienna or Budapest. <BR> <BR>In these countries restaurants are not a question, since they can afford pretty well anything they see -- or can eat at 7 dollars a day in milk bars and fast food joints (national style, not American). <BR> <BR>Please write if I can help further. Welcome to Europe. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR>

george Mar 20th, 2001 06:27 AM

I suggest Contiki tours, they specialize in youths going to europe and they have a blast, I recently booked 3 guys just out of college who loved the tour, they really cater to the youth and they offer alot of options

Carey Mar 20th, 2001 06:36 AM

First they should get a Eurail Pass. Then using the Eurail map, highlight where they would want to go. Schedule out the best way to use the Eurail (I had a 5 day pass, and went to Belgium, Netherland, France, Italy, and Greece) remember that the Eurail pass can be used for the boat ride from Italy to Greece. Check out Ios in the Greek Islands, it is full of College students, and many english speakers. But it is definately a party island. I would only go to Athens to see the Acropolis, and then on to the greek islands, they will meet many people if they stay in hostels. If they are still in college they can get a student pass, and a youth hostel membership. If they know anyone who has friends or family in any part of Europe, connect with them. Europeans welcome guest so much more than we do in America. We stayed with friends of friends all through france and Italy, and it saved us a lot of money. I would say too, hit the big cities for your first time to Europe. You can find all accommidations in big cities, and they are very "back packer" friendly. It's also the best way to get a taste of a lot of different countries. Most important have fun, and keep an open mind. write me if you have any questions, or want any more help. C

Brenda Mar 20th, 2001 06:51 AM

Best beaches and nightlife for young people is without a doubt Croatia. Anywhere down the Croatian coastline you will fine beautiful beaches, lots of young people, many cafe's to sit around have have a drink and to people watch, many boutiques to go shopping, there are clubs if you are into that.... the young people there really know how to live it up. You can get a pension (zimmer, sobe, etc) from someone there. I stayed at one last summer. Total cost for the room was $15.00/night right on the beach! Had a balcony - a view... We even had our own kitchen!