I am a newbie on this forum and from South Africa.
I am planning a trip to Europe in the winter (8-29 January) of 2015 for 21 days to visit some places of interest and do some skiing in France. We (wife & I - both in early 30's) know it will be cold this time of the year, but we wanted this trip to be something different (I have never experienced real snow) and we have chosen this time due to lower number of tourists, cheaper flights & accommodation tariffs (or at least that is what we read up on). We will make sure to dress appropriately for these conditions.
The idea is to travel to France first and spend some time in Paris to see the Eiffel Tower, Louvre and some other sites. We have allowed ourselves 3 days in the city. Then we want to head to the Porte du Soleil area (Morzine - Les Gets) to do some skiing (6 days). After the skiing, we want to go to Switzerland (4 days) to experience the Jungfrau, Matterhorn & take the Bernina/Glacier express to Tirano. Entering Italy (5-6 days), we want to head to Rome and also visit Naples.
We will depart from OR Thambo International airport in South Africa to Charles de Gaulle in Paris and fly out from Rome back home.
Here are a few questions to start off with:
1. I read somewhere that some attractions are not open during this time of year in Paris,
is this true? We wanted to visit the tower, a museum or two and walk through the city.
2. What area in the Prote du Soleil is the best for beginner skiers?
3. Visiting Switzerland in this time, can you still visit attractions like the Jungfraujoch,
Matterhorn or is there a possibility of trains not operating due to heavy snowfalls?
Hope to hear from you soon!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 2 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 3 two days in rome
- 4 Pubs showing NFL football in London?
- 5 Looking for Good Eating in Valencia
- 6 Avignon
- 7 Laurel and Hardy in Drag Do Bangkok
- 8 Preliminary planning for Croatia May or June 2017
- 9 Lisbon neighborhoods
- 10 FCO hotel for late arrival?
- 11 Budget trip
- 12 Rome to Greece on a Ferry
- 13 Where to Eat in Barcelona
- 14 Favorite London memories
- 15 Planning to visit Italy in first 2 weeks of Jan
- 16 Provence and Cote de Azure
- 17 Adventureseeker returns to Italy! As glorious and detailed as before!
- 18 Provence Trip Report
- 19 8 months around Europe
- 20 Tentative Spain/France Basque region itinerary
- 21 9 Day Paris & Rome with Family
- 22 Transylvania - June 2018
- 23 Turkey, Threats, Reprisals, Travels
- 24 Czech Republic & Germany in Eleven Days
- 25 Anthropology and Archeology for the Turkey Traveler