Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   21 days Brussels to Munich - Is Berlin worth the trip? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/21-days-brussels-to-munich-is-berlin-worth-the-trip-235958/)

Mike & Julie Jul 1st, 2002 05:29 PM

21 days Brussels to Munich - Is Berlin worth the trip?

First time traveller's to Germany wondering if Berlin should be in the iteniary? Or should we stick to Germany's west coast and maybe Switzerland.

holly Jul 1st, 2002 05:51 PM

DO NOT MISS BERLIN!! <BR><BR>There are some wonderful sights there. The Kaiser Wilhelm cathedral is powerful. It has been left in partial ruins as a war memorial, and is a startling sight - somewhere between breathtaking and hair raising. <BR><BR>The Berliner Dom is magnificent. The church's interior is all carved wood. <BR><BR>The Charlottenburg Schloss (I am not certain I spelled this correctly) is wonderful and put me in mind of Versailles. <BR><BR>Of course, the remains of the Berlin wall and Checkpoint Charlie, as well as the Wall museum shouldn't be missed either. <BR><BR>Also, the contrast between the parts of Berlin that were in East Germany and those that were in West Germany are quite striking, too.<BR><BR>There is a neat space needle in what was East Berlin, and it has a good restaurant atop. You get a wonderful view of the city - a neat way to start or end your trip.<BR><BR>

Top Jul 2nd, 2002 06:04 AM

TT

Victoria Jul 2nd, 2002 06:22 AM

Add Berlin. We spent three days in Berlin in May, and could easily have spent an entire week. In addition to Holly's suggestion, I suggest the Pergammon Museum, and walking along Unter den Linden and Bebelplatz from the Reichstag to the Brandenburg Gate.

brownie Jul 2nd, 2002 06:27 AM

Oh don't miss out on Berlin. It was one of the highlights of our first trip. We spent 3 nights there.. and really, it could've been 3 weeks. There is so much to do, see and learn. Don't miss out on the walking tours. I think they go for 6 hrs but they are really really good in a city full of history.

kathy pompe Jul 2nd, 2002 06:29 AM

I agree with Victoria, add the Pergamon Museum in Berlin to your list of places. It is definitely worth it.

Linda Jul 2nd, 2002 08:18 AM

Berlin is one of my favorite cities. Checkpoint Charlie Museum is most interesting. The Reichstag, KaDeWe Department Store and Kurfurstendamstrasse, Olympic Stadium, art museums, symphony, opera, Templehof Airfield (Berlin Airlift) are all ones not yet mentioned. Also, Dresden is just a 2-hour train ride south and is a nice daytrip (Meissen is close to Dresden). Berlin is the history of the 20th century.

Sue Jul 2nd, 2002 11:37 AM

I'm an American living in Munich. According to the Germans, Berlin is the only city in Germany. Having spent several days there and having visited many German 'cities', I can understand why they say this. It's definitely worth the detour, especially if you like cities and all they have to offer. (Munich is also nice.)

Mike & Julie Jul 2nd, 2002 01:08 PM

Alright guys\gals thanks so much for the info. Looks like Berlin is a go!! Can anyone suggest a stop mid way from Brussles? Looks like Hanover is close but would prefer to stay out of the city.

Ruth Jul 3rd, 2002 02:05 AM

I don't have a map in front of me, but the Harz mountains are east of Hanover, and one of my favorite parts of Germany. Beautiful little towns (e.g. Goslar, Wernigerode) and great scenery. The old border ran right through the Harz, and the difference between the East and West parts is interesting.