Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   2022 Europe trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/2022-europe-trip-1679877/)

Royejustjoseph Apr 12th, 2020 09:57 PM

2022 Europe trip

i am planning to go Europe in 2022, I am hooping to visit Germany, France and Spain for 4 weeks. I have no idea how to set up a suitable plan for 4 weeks. Is there some one please give their experience if they had done this kind of trip? I will have a limit budget also so not expensive flight or train please.

Traveler_Nick Apr 12th, 2020 10:11 PM

If you can go to a library and get yourself some guidebooks. If not see what you can order online.

The first problem is what are you interested in? We can all give you our favorite stops and methods of travel but you might have different interests.

That means spend some time defining on what you're hoping to see on this trip. Think about why you picked those three countries. Understand that those are three large populous countries four weeks will not let you see everything.

Before all this happened you would have found plenty of cheap flights between the three countries. In the future we can only guess. You can take the train from Germany to France and then to Spain . If you buy the tickets in advance you might be okay with the prices.

Time of year and destination can greatly affect prices. If your budget is extremely tight you will want to consider this.

Royejustjoseph Apr 12th, 2020 10:25 PM

The lonely planet guide book you mean? i am hoping to collect information from here and trip Advisior. I want to go to Frankfurt , Berlin, Munich in Germany. In France paris, marsellie, lille and toulouse then to spain Madrid and Mallora island.

But thank you so much for your information regrading train options are this train i can book when i am there?

Traveler_Nick Apr 12th, 2020 10:52 PM

Trains would be cheaper if you booked in advance. If you wait and pay walk up prices you'll find them much more expensive. But normally you can even buy on the day of travel.

Michael Apr 13th, 2020 12:05 AM

Flixbus is probably cheaper than train or plane: https://global.flixbus.com/
Travel books in used bookstores are not that expensive. They will give you an idea of what to see in the cities you list.

Rubicund Apr 13th, 2020 02:00 AM

The first thing is to look at flights from wherever you are and work out the cheapest routes, flying into your first stop and then home from your last stop. This is called "multi city" or "open jaw" booking. Depending on how tolerant you are of hot weather and when you are going, leave Spain to last or first to allow for rising temperatures.

Once this is settled we can assist with further information on specific places.

kerouac Apr 13th, 2020 02:15 AM

The world will probably be a totally different place in 2022, so be prepared to have all of your planning invalidated.

Odin Apr 13th, 2020 03:07 AM

You can't look at flights and cheapest routes for 2022. In normal circumstances, schedules (but not always prices) are usually available about 333 days in advance. In the current circumstances, flights and routes are not operating as normal so research is pointless at this stage. I would expect several of the airlines to not exist anymore and if they do, I would expect many routes to be stopped.

Royejustjoseph Apr 13th, 2020 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Odin (Post 17093108)
You can't look at flights and cheapest routes for 2022. In normal circumstances, schedules (but not always prices) are usually available about 333 days in advance. In the current circumstances, flights and routes are not operating as normal so research is pointless at this stage. I would expect several of the airlines to not exist anymore and if they do, I would expect many routes to be stopped.

Yep you are correct ! i would see the flights only half of 2021 but wondering about the place where i can find the best spot to see and explore but i agree with you.

Royejustjoseph Apr 13th, 2020 05:16 AM

are this bus good enough to save the time?? i mean Flixbus??

kerouac Apr 13th, 2020 06:19 AM

Even a lot of the bus lines may not be running in 2022. Wait at least until 2021 to begin transportation research.

in the meantime, you can find all of the sights/museums/monuments that you really want to see. Connecting the dots shouldn't be too difficult later.

neckervd Apr 13th, 2020 07:01 AM

Be aware that many bus companies and airlines will no longer exist in 2022..
The exchange rates for EUR, USD, etc. may be completely different too.

Royejustjoseph Apr 13th, 2020 07:03 AM

Yes that is what i am intending for, making the list where i want to go as per my interest...thank you so much for your suggestion

jenmarkolson Apr 13th, 2020 09:38 AM

I personally really liked the Rick Steves guidebooks for Europe. They helped me to plan out how much time I wanted to spend in each location and to find places to visit that I may not have considered before. In Germany, I would look in to Rothenburg and the Romantic Road in addition to the big cities you mention. In Spain, Madrid was our least favorite place. We really liked smaller cities (Toledo, Sevilla, Barcelona).

Christina Apr 13th, 2020 12:40 PM

I don't know where you live, but I always get guidebooks out of the public library for planning a trip. Mine is good, I can choose several for any country. Check it out.

The only obvious thing for planning is the order of these countries. Geographically, France has to be in the middle, of course. So either start in Spain and end in Germany or vice versa. WHen I do stuff like that (for many years now, I do often visit 2-3 countries, but never that far apart), I generally decide order based on maybe weather (ie, for several weeks, is one a lot hotter destination than another maybe) or maybe which place I just want to end up rather than start. For example, I like getting the more difficult stuff done at the beginning of a trip as I run out of steam after a while, so I leave the "easy" destination for the end point. Also, I prefer to pick the end point where I can get a nonstop flight home for same reasons. Upon arrival, I'm out of it for a day or more anyway, so a connection upon arrival doesn't matter as much to me, the whole day is ruined no matter what. Besides, you can't really do anything if you arrive at 6-7 am anyway.

So that's my big overall general comment, to first flesh out that part, begin and end points and the major travel modes.

I took Flixbus from some place in POland to Berlin last summer, it was easy enough and pleasant. I only did that because the main train station in Berlin has some construction and there weren't any direct trains from where I was, anyway, though. Those buses are real cheap, that's for sure, but I don't think it's worth it just to save money as trains aren't that expensive anyway, and I would never do it for a real long trip.

Just a comment, if you really have a budget problem, forget Mallorca, it doesn't make any sense at all in your itinerary and will add a lot of unnecessary cost. JUst the logistics sound like a nightmare to me, trying to tack that on easily. There are obviously no major flights home from there for you (I'm guessing, all this does depend where home is), but getting there from Madrid adds on an unnecessary flight or a train plus ferry combo. Why oh why do you want to go to some resort island, that isn't cheap either. It would make much more sense to take the train fromToulouse to Barcelona, spend some time there, then the train to Madrid and fly home from there.

Michael Apr 13th, 2020 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Royejustjoseph (Post 17093137)
are this bus good enough to save the time?? i mean Flixbus??

Trains and plane will tend to be faster than the bus over long distances. But if money is an issue, the bus will probably be cheaper. Up to you to do the comparison once you have established your itinerary and are ready to order tickets.

Sassafrass Apr 13th, 2020 02:16 PM

I think you need to do a lot, lot, lot more research and, luckily, you have two years to do it. It seems you are just starting and have picked places because perhaps you have heard about them, but others may fit your interests better. Also, combining and grouping places will be more economical, allow you to see more and make more sense logistically.

Examples:
Do you have a big interest in something in Frankfurt or do you have friends there or did you think of it as a cheap entry airport? Otherwise, why go there? Speaking of that, it is nearly always a poor choice to get cheap flights to a place you are not interested in seeing. It takes more money to get from there to the places you want to see and wastes a lot of time.

You mentioned Marseille, which is interesting but probably not the best use of time and money unless you have plans to see more or Provence.

Madrid is wonderful and certainly worth a visit, but while in Spain, do consider other beautiful historic places that are easy to visit by train, Toledo, Seville, Córdoba. Even Barcelona is only a couple of hours by the faster trains.

You will need to allow plenty of travel time between places. Nobody knows what travel will be like in two years, but you mentioned budget. You may have to cut back or change plans to accommodate that.

Are you traveling alone or with family? Where is home?

Jean Apr 13th, 2020 02:51 PM

In my opinion, these 9 destinations in 28 days is too ambitious. That's averaging about 3 days in each place, not counting time lost in transit. There are a few long treks involved in your plan which will, in some cases, eat up entire days.

If it was my trip, I would reduce the number of destinations and try to eliminate the super-long travel days.

Royejustjoseph Apr 14th, 2020 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Sassafrass (Post 17093400)
I think you need to do a lot, lot, lot more research and, luckily, you have two years to do it. It seems you are just starting and have picked places because perhaps you have heard about them, but others may fit your interests better. Also, combining and grouping places will be more economical, allow you to see more and make more sense logistically.

Examples:
Do you have a big interest in something in Frankfurt or do you have friends there or did you think of it as a cheap entry airport? Otherwise, why go there? Speaking of that, it is nearly always a poor choice to get cheap flights to a place you are not interested in seeing. It takes more money to get from there to the places you want to see and wastes a lot of time.

You mentioned Marseille, which is interesting but probably not the best use of time and money unless you have plans to see more or Provence.

Madrid is wonderful and certainly worth a visit, but while in Spain, do consider other beautiful historic places that are easy to visit by train, Toledo, Seville, Córdoba. Even Barcelona is only a couple of hours by the faster trains.

You will need to allow plenty of travel time between places. Nobody knows what travel will be like in two years, but you mentioned budget. You may have to cut back or change plans to accommodate that.

Are you traveling alone or with family? Where is home?

Yes i am travelling solo, Your advice are really helpful, next week i am going to make a draft when i have a time. I found this forum very informative the people are giving their idea very quickly thank you so much

Royejustjoseph Apr 14th, 2020 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Christina (Post 17093353)
I don't know where you live, but I always get guidebooks out of the public library for planning a trip. Mine is good, I can choose several for any country. Check it out.

The only obvious thing for planning is the order of these countries. Geographically, France has to be in the middle, of course. So either start in Spain and end in Germany or vice versa. WHen I do stuff like that (for many years now, I do often visit 2-3 countries, but never that far apart), I generally decide order based on maybe weather (ie, for several weeks, is one a lot hotter destination than another maybe) or maybe which place I just want to end up rather than start. For example, I like getting the more difficult stuff done at the beginning of a trip as I run out of steam after a while, so I leave the "easy" destination for the end point. Also, I prefer to pick the end point where I can get a nonstop flight home for same reasons. Upon arrival, I'm out of it for a day or more anyway, so a connection upon arrival doesn't matter as much to me, the whole day is ruined no matter what. Besides, you can't really do anything if you arrive at 6-7 am anyway.

So that's my big overall general comment, to first flesh out that part, begin and end points and the major travel modes.

I took Flixbus from some place in POland to Berlin last summer, it was easy enough and pleasant. I only did that because the main train station in Berlin has some construction and there weren't any direct trains from where I was, anyway, though. Those buses are real cheap, that's for sure, but I don't think it's worth it just to save money as trains aren't that expensive anyway, and I would never do it for a real long trip.

Just a comment, if you really have a budget problem, forget Mallorca, it doesn't make any sense at all in your itinerary and will add a lot of unnecessary cost. JUst the logistics sound like a nightmare to me, trying to tack that on easily. There are obviously no major flights home from there for you (I'm guessing, all this does depend where home is), but getting there from Madrid adds on an unnecessary flight or a train plus ferry combo. Why oh why do you want to go to some resort island, that isn't cheap either. It would make much more sense to take the train fromToulouse to Barcelona, spend some time there, then the train to Madrid and fly home from there.

Hello

thank you so much yes at first i will look at the map and then draft the plan but your Suggestion is very helpful for me. I have a question is Mallorca is so expensive ?? i heard that you need to go their with the flight and it is one of the top touristic destination of Spain.