Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

20 hr layover in Paris, what to do, where to stay, where to eat???

Feb 19th, 2007, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

In early June we'll have a layover in Paris and want to make the very most of our time. We'll arrive from Milan at 5:30 p.m. and our flight leaves the next day at 1:50 p.m. My hubby and I have been to Paris a few times, but our friends have never been. I'm trying to decide on where to stay.....where to eat ( nothing dressy dressy just nice ).....and what to do. We want to maximize our time.....we'll sleep on the flight home! I'm thinking dinner, Eiffel tower and river cruise that night. Concerned about coordinating the times. I think the last boat ride is 11 p.m.??? And the last trip up the Eiffel tower is 10:30? Arriving at 5:30, I'm guessing it'll be 7 p.m. for dinner after getting to whatever hotel, etc. Also, we've always just taken a taxi into Paris from CDG. We'll have 5 of us. Is that still the best way? Normally we use the Metro, but with such limited time I'm wanting to stay someplace central where we can walk and see a lot rather than being underground. Thanks for tips and suggestions. Melissa
Feb 19th, 2007, 06:34 AM

After reading a recent thread here about CDG, you just might need all 20 of those hours to make your connecting flight!
Feb 19th, 2007, 06:38 AM

It sounds like an okay idea to me. Planning dinner for 7 sounds a little optimistic if your plane isn't scheduled to arrive until 5:30. A lot of places aren't even open that early for dinner anyway, so no reason to do that. With such a long layover, I guess I was assuming you'd have to retrieve your luggage, but if not, that will help a little but I still wouldn't make a reservation for 7. I don't know the last boat ride time currently, but you can probably find that out on the website of the one you plan to take. I don't think most of them do departures until 11 pm, though, it used to be 10 pm for some of those, like Bateaux Mouches. I think the Bateaux Parisiens ran until 11, though.

I'll let others comment on the taxi plans as I've never taken one with that many people and I don't know how easy that is. I know taxis are not required to take that many people. If you don't have to retrieve luggage, I don't see why the RER wouldn't be just as easy as taking a taxi, though.
Feb 19th, 2007, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Christine. We'd be happy with a cafe or brasserie, no set reservation. We would take our bags, check in someplace and plan on staying out late and up early. Thinking, dinner/Eiffel Tower/boat ride/see sights at night. Then, in the morning I figure if nothing else we can wander along the Seine, go to a patissiere and Notre Dame before heading back to CDG.

As for transportation, I guess we just get two taxis unless there's a van. I've done a van for 4, but that may not be available.

Any ideas for a lively cafe or brasserie? Also, a central area good for walking on such a whirlwind race thru Paris?

Thanks again Melissa
Feb 19th, 2007, 07:11 AM
nbujic

agreed. if you arrive at 5:30, by the time you get off the plain, , pick up your bags, take the RER an get to your hotel it will be much later than 8:00.
It still gives you an evening ( night) and the next morning. If you have to chcek your bags count on at least a couple of hours at CDG (if not longer ) and an hour to get to yor terminal.
A hotel close to the RER (airport line) St. Michele station and the river would be my choice.

Feb 19th, 2007, 07:29 AM

Search this forum for "Paris Shuttle." Or "CDG shuttle." (Leave the periods out of your search; I was just being -- defensively -- pedantic.) Anyway for such a large group plus luggage, I would think a shuttle the best -- both directions.
Feb 19th, 2007, 07:41 AM

I usually figure 45 minutes to clear immigration and retrieve luggage at CDG.

Another alternative is the Roissy Bus, which stops near the Opera Garnier. You could find a close by hotel, have dinner at Le Grand Cafe, or better yet at Le Vaudeville, a short walk.

If taking the RER, that was a good suggestion re St Michel station.
Feb 19th, 2007, 07:46 AM

It's no problem getting a taxi for 5 these days in Paris. There are van taxis galore (just make sure it's marked Taxi Parisien) as well as station wagons. There's a taxi staff person at the head of the line who will direct you to a suitable vehicle. Same cost as a regular compact taxi.