20 days in Spain: any last minute tips?

Sep 7th, 2003, 12:56 PM
ady
Original Poster

20 days in Spain: any last minute tips?

Hi Everybody,
It is a pity that I discovered this brilliant website only tonight. I'm visiting (semi-backpacking) across Spain from Sept 10th to 29th. This's a sightseeing trip so lazing on the beaches is out. Within Spain I'll be using trains and buses, not driving.

A large part of the trip will be spontaneous and the exact itinerary will be very flexible. However the skeletal plans are as follows:

--to Barcelona

> Barcelona- 3-4 days

> Salamanca & around (and meeting a friend)- 3 days

> Caceres, Trujillo- 1-2 days

> Sevilla, Cordoba- 3 days

> Granada- 2 days

> Madrid & day trips to Toledo, Avila, Segovia- 4 days
[and if some time left, short trip to Santillana del Mar/replicas of Altamira caves, though this appears unlikely]

--back to Vienna

I'd welcome last minute suggestions/tips of any kind, particularly
*overlooked places near major halts,
*good cheap restaurants,
*bus companies
*subtle changes in intinerary to better connections
... anything actually.

Thanks!

Sep 7th, 2003, 05:22 PM

Just spent a few days in Caceres in June. We hung out near Plaza Mayor and ate tapas and drank a lot of wine and sangria. The old city is a wonderful place to get lost, but we also found a lovely grand boulevard 3-4 blocks north of Plaza Mayor, where we idled away an evening at a retaurant in the park with many Spaniards doing the same.

Two restaurants in Barcelona (from a trip in 2000) las Caracoles and 4 Cats. The first is off Las Ramblas about two blocks to the east - great food and again wonderful wine. 4 Cats is near the Gothic Cathederal, again east of the Ramblas, and is a little more upscale, but worth it. Barcelona has a great tourist information office at the top of the Ramblas.

We flew to Santiago de Compostela (in Galicia) from Madrid (28 Euros one-way/56 round trip on Iberia with a 4 Euro discount if you take an e-ticket). It is a World Heritage city like Segovia, Caceres, Toledo, Salamanca and Avila. Beautiful cathedral and very interesting story of pilgrims and St. James, the apostle. If you go, try to attend Mass when they are using the censor - don't know how to explain it, but it is something else. The cantor has a most wonderful baritone voice also.

Sep 8th, 2003, 02:39 PM
ady
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips GPOTVIN! I'm afraid, with my schedule and timeframe, I won't be able to make it to the north. I have also decided that it'll be impossible to make it to Santillana del Mar, so I have to come back another time to for the Alatmira cave paintings anyway-- so next time I'll start with the north.

Any other tips before I leave on Wednesday?

Another thread about walking tours in Seville, reminds me-- any suggestions for walking tours in the places I'm visiting? In Barcelona, I'm planning to take the walking tour of Travel Bar. Anybody done that?

Thanks!

Thanks!
Sep 8th, 2003, 05:24 PM

Another restaurant suggestion for Barcelona is La Dolca Herminia at Magdalenes 27--2 blocks towards Ramblas from Palau de la Musica. We also ate at 4 Cats and liked it very much, but loved La Dolca Herminia and it was less expensive and had a non-smoking section.

In Seville I highly recommend seeing the flamenco show at Los Gallos!

Get tickets in advance for Alhambra on the Internet.

Have a great trip and report back to us!

Search this Thread