Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   20 day trip of germany and austria (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/20-day-trip-of-germany-and-austria-1072364/)

kamranpower Sep 21st, 2015 05:38 AM

20 day trip of germany and austria

Hi!
I plan to visit germany and austria for 20 days in April 2016. (First Visit to Germany)

We would be travelling by Train.

Starting with Innsbruck(2 days) Salzburg (3 days) Munich (3 days) Oberstaufen ( 5 days), Stuttgart/Black Forest (2 days) Dresden (2 days) Berlin (3 days)

My query is as under:

1. From Oberstaufen can i do Nuremberg day trip, and which other places i can cover in day trips?
2. Any addition or deletion you suggest in our trip schedule

regards

MrsBillT Sep 21st, 2015 05:57 AM

Look at Vienna, Wurzburg, Regensburg if it fits.

Fussgaenger Sep 21st, 2015 06:07 AM

"From Oberstaufen can i do Nuremberg day trip,"

No. Day trip from Munich to Nuremberg instead. Add a night to Munich for this day trip.

Don't schedule 5 nights in Oberstaufen unless you have specific, DOABLE day trips in mind.

2 Days is not enough time to visit Stuttgart AND the Black Forest. Oberstaufen to Stuttgart by train takes up your morning. So you actually have only about 1.5 days for both Stuttgart and the BF.

And you don't have 2 days in Dresden either. You will spend 7 hours on the train getting to Dresden from Stuttgart, longer if you start from a Black Forest town.

And you don't have much time for Berlin either. Berlin typically requires 4 days or so, not including travel time to get there.

My choice would be to cut Oberstaufen and the Stuttgart/Black Forest part. These are time-consuming detours from what is basically a south-to-north itinerary starting in Innsbruck and ending in Berlin. Add time to your other destinations.

If you want to spend more time in the mountains, then do it on the way from Innsbruck to Munich in Garmisch-Partenkirchen and Mittenwald. Then after Munich and Salzburg, travel to Nuremberg - not as a day trip from Munich but as a destination - and stay there 2 nights.

PalenQ Sep 21st, 2015 06:51 AM

As for train info check these sites to help plan your trip - www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.seat61.com - with that much train travel check out the Germany-Austria Railpass that lets you hop on virtually any train anytime - just show up.

traveller1959 Sep 21st, 2015 07:22 AM

As said, your itinerary is a bit unusual and your question reveals that you don't seem familiar with German geography.

Everyone is wondering why you want to spend 5 days in Oberstaufen. If you want to spend some time in the Alps, Garmisch-Partenkirchen would be the obvious choice (between Innsbruck and München) or Berchtesgaden near Salzburg. Both towns offer much more than Oberstaufen.

Second, why Stuttgart and the Black Forest? Unless you want to see the Porsche Museum I would not recommend spending precious time in Stuttgart. And although I live in the Black Forest I would not recommend to go there just for one day. Somehow (is it this Rick Steves?) most Americans have wrong ideas of the Black Forest - it is a quite large mountain chain that stretches for 100 miles in north-south-direction.

This all said, you will get more time for Bavaria, München, Nürnberg and Berlin.

PalenQ Sep 21st, 2015 09:20 AM

Stuttgart has an acclaimed modern art museum and a large grouping of Bauhaus residences - two special interests for some but otherwise I agree with traveller 1959 - a big city with little of interest for many travelers.