Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

2 women for one month trip to unspecified European destination?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend and I, both female medical school students in our mid-late 20's are planning a trip to Europe for one month this spring, probably in Feb-May time frame. We have both been to some major cities,(Rome, Florence, Paris, Venice, Lucern, London) and now we can't decide on a destination. We would like somewhere that it will be easy to visit other cities, but it doesn't have to be a big capital city. We would like to rent an apartment for the month. Any suggestions? It's hard because we are really easy to please, we love the beach, the mountains, good food, sightseeing...there really aren't any limitations. We have some Spanish experience between us, but can get along fine with French or Italian. I would love any suggestions of places, preferrably cheaper and off the beaten path a bit, but not secluded. Thank you all!
Old Jul 12th, 2008, 07:27 AM

How about Barcelona? You are very centrally located for budget flights, and it's easy to go to France.
Spain tends to be cheaper than some other countries.
Of course, in February, it's going to be too cold for lying around on the beach.
Old Jul 12th, 2008, 07:34 AM

For visiting other cities, Bologna makes for a great base. Filled with students and arguably the birthplace of western medicine, you might enjoy the whole feel of settling in there and getting to know an Italian city that is one of the few left that isn't touristy or "gone global."

Sevilla also pops to mind, but it has fewer cities within reach of its train lines. But it also lots of attractions and a unique culture.

If you don't mind perfectly lousy weather but fabulous food, Antwerpen is great and has great train connections to major cities.

Old Jul 12th, 2008, 08:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Venice and Lucerne are two big carnival cities if you're planning on travelling in February.
Old Jul 12th, 2008, 09:42 AM

And if you go around Easter and the spring fair, Sevilla is jammed -- which some like, and some don't.
Old Jul 12th, 2008, 10:00 AM

It depends on when you're going and if you want to use the beach. In Feb there isn;t anyplace in europe with beach weather. By late April or May you can do beaches in southern Spain and Italy.

If I had a month I would probably do May - spending the first 2 weeks in southern Spain - seeing Andalusia and spending some beach time - then fly north - and spend the second 2 weeks in Prague and Germany.

Gives you two very different destinations while the weather is good, places are not yet mobbed with tourists, and the evenings are quite long - giving you more time to do everything.