Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

2 wks in Tuscany - How would you group towns to visit?

Notices

Old Nov 27th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our base is a villa near Lucca.
Lucca one day & dinner at Restaurante "La Mora"
Florence - 2 separate days (1 devoted to Pitti Palace & Bobli Gardens, with lunch at Tratoria ZaZa - other day to see other places)
Chianti - Sunset Stroll dinner at CHIANTI RUFINA, 30 minutes driving South East from Florence. Winery located hills overlooking the town of Pontassieve.
One day - relax @ villa with dinner at L'Enferno just outside of Florence.
One day - Cinque Terra
Then how should I group visiting these towns as day trips.
Pisa, Montipulciano,Montalcino,Arrezo, Siena, Assissi, Orvieto, San Giminganano, Volterra. Any of these not worth seeing or others recommended at most to offer - beauty, architecture, uniqueness...Thank you!! p.s. We will have spent 7 days in Venice and its neighboring towns as day trips outside of Venice.
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

I neglected to add that on the Pitti Palace/Bobli Garden day in Florence after lunch we have reservations for Uffizi (2pm) & Academia. Also what's the correct pronunciation of Uffizi? And is ZaZa a good place?
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 11:59 AM

ZaZa is a fairly good place. In my opinion there are better and there are worse.
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 12:10 PM

I would omit Pisa and add Pienza and Todi. Todi is close to Orvieto and you could visit both in one day. Pienza is near Montepulciano and Montalcino and you could visit all 3 in one day. San Gimignano and Volterra are fairly close to each other and coudl be visited in one day. You might want a whole day for Siena. I am not sure how close Assisi and Arrezo are to each other, but Cortona is near Arrezo and those two towns could be visited in one day.
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 12:12 PM

I think you need to allow more than one day for Cinque Terre.
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

For: ekscrunchy
Where would you recommend for lunch that would be convenient after Pitti/Bobli and before Uffizi? I can happily change.
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

For: BobandBunkie
If we do 2 days.....then you are suggesting that we stay a night there despite our having the villa right? That's your recommendation probably as it is a what couple hour drive from Lucca. We aren't into all the hiking but you'd still recommend 2 days?
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 01:00 PM

Since your base is near Lucca you will need to think twice about some of those places for day trips. Some are 2.5 hours one way driving. Do you have a good map? Do you use viamichelin.com ? I would drop Assisi, Orvieto, and Montalcino as too far. Group Volterra and San Gimignano.
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 07:30 PM

I love ZaZa's. We stopped in one chilly afternoon and had the best bean and crusty bread soup ever - atmosphere is great. I'm pretty sure Uffizzi is pronounced: oo feet' see.
One day in Cinque Terre is too little - two full days is just right in my opinion. Don't miss Montepulciano and the San Biagio Church at its base. There is another church, St. Antimo I believe it's called and its in the area of Montep. and Montalcino. We stopped in when the monks were conducting their Gregorian Chants and it was one of the lovliest moments to experience. San Gim is just a half day visit. A full day in Siena is recommended...the Duomo is wonderful and has one of the best gift shops. I would skip Pisa.
When in Florence if you have time, visit the Medici Chapel and Santa Croce. Don't miss partaking of one of the multitudes of flavors of gelato at one of the shops on the main street of Florence Centre (my favorite is the cantalope!)
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 07:51 PM

Beware of any suggestion that you can "do" two towns in one day. But if that's your plan, make sure you have an excellent map (or GPS) and know exactly where you're going to park (including a back-up lot in case the first one is full).
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 08:58 PM

I highly second Bob's suggestion to preview driving times on www.viamichelin.com It will give you a realistic idea of one-way driving times.
Frankly, I have always viewed Lucca as a somewhat limited base for visits to Tuscany as it is on the extreme northwestern side and a long way from Montelpulciano, Pienza and Montalcino. Check out the driving times.
That being said, I am certain you will enjoy your visit, just don't over-extend yourself on your day-trips. Paul
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 09:06 PM

An excellent place for lunch, right near the Pitti Palace, so very convenient for you, is called Quattro Leoni. They have excellent food, some very unusual first courses (like my favorite - a pear filled pasta with a sauce of cheese and asparagus bits - heaven!!). It is wise to reserve, even for lunch, but we thought it was one of our best meals in Firenze. We also tried ZaZa, it being close to our hotel, and were less than thrilled with it.
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 09:16 AM

Whoa, Gargiulo! did I read correctly that the one day in Florence is to include The Pitti Palace, Boboli Gardens, then lunch, THEN both Uffizi and Accademia that afternoon? That's an awful lot of time spent on your feet for one day, and in my mind it will dilute the impact you would receive from seeing one museum at a time and letting it "sink in" before you saw another - otherwise you won't remember what you saw where, IMO. The most I would recommend (having recently been in Florence) is the Pitti/Boboli in the a.m. and either the Uffizi (pronounced "You-feet-zee") or the Accademia in the afternoon.

On our recent trip, one couple (first-timers in Florence) of our group of six saw both the Accademia and the Uffizi on the same day and were very tired from doing so.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 11:59 AM

For your day trip to Le Cinque Terre, I suggest driving to Lerici (my hometown and very charming) and catching the boat from there. You will also have the opportunity to visit Portovenere, IMO the most beautiful place in Italy. Boats run April-Nov starting at 9:30 and last one back to Lerici is at 6:10.

I think Orvieto and Todi are just too far for this trip. You could do San Gimi and Volterra in a day but it's a long one.

Don't forget to just enjoy some time at your villa! And don't mss Buca di Sant'Antonio for dinner (in Lucca)...

Buon viaggio!