Reload this Page >

Cross Country Road Trip in old car: Need advice

Old Nov 4th, 2015, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys!

Me and a friend of mine currently live in Montreal, Canada as part of a working holiday year.
We want to move to Vancouver in December. We're hoping to make it there by NYE.
I own a 2006 Kia Rio (200.000kms) that we would like to use for this road trip. I just took it on a 6000km trip (Montreal - NYC - Washington DC - Blue Ridge Parkway - Smokies - Memphis - Nashville - Pittsburgh - Montreal) and it managed to do that trip without any real problems.
The trip we have in mind:
Montreal - NYC - Pittsburgh - Cleveland - Chicago - Milwaukee - Minneapolis - Sioux Falls - Rapid City - Badlands NP - Mount Rushmore - Yellowstone NP - Glacier NP - Portland - Seattle - Vancouver
We're hoping to take advantage of the exptected above average temperatures in the northern states due to El Nino, although we realize that no one can really predict the weather for December yet. We are pretty flexible on time so could stay somewhere for a couple of days if necessary due to bad winter storms.
Would love to hear all your advice since I've never driven through the northern states before, let alone in winter.
Do you think it's doable if we take our time?
Would we be able to visit the National Parks in this car or are there any tours we could take instead?
What kind of stuff should we take as sort of a survival kit?
What's the best website to keep track of the weather?
If you think it would be a really bad idea to take this route, what do you think would be a better one?
Can we expect many other drivers on the roads in case the car breaks down?
Will roads be cleared or snow?
Anything you think we should add that would be really beautiful in winter?

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 4th, 2015, 08:35 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Most of it is doable "if you take your time," meaning, you're prepared to spend a day or two in some motel while the roads are plowed for example.

As for the national parks, some of the key roads will be closed for the winter, such as the Going to the Sun road in Glacier, some in Yellowstone, etc.

If it was me I'd stick to I-90 and take detours - Yellowstone, for example, only if "real time" conditions allow. Remember one of the big drawbacks will be short daylight hours. Darkness plus winter plus high altitude = icy pavement, even if there isn't any snow.

El Nino is much more important along the Pacific coast than it is by the time you get to the Rockies. Don't assume it will be either a dry or warm winter anywhere.

Of course there will be other cars and drivers pretty much everywhere. I would probably shoot for something like a maximum of five hours daily "wheels turning," so you're looking at a week to ten days to make the drive comfortably.

I would also probably suggest dropping NYC and save those days for the road; a car is unnecessary in the city and the detour is significant. I'd probably head through Toronto and Detroit instead; if you need "city" time, there are few better places than Chicago for that.

As for Portland, just remember that it's an easy day's drive (or train ride) from Vancouver, as are many scenic areas in the Pacific Northwest and BC, so I'd probably skip it on this trip and make plans to visit when the weather's better.
Old Nov 4th, 2015, 08:59 AM

You should be asking this question about an old car of a mechanic you trust. Do have the car given a thorough exam before departing or have a Plan B for getting to your end destination.
Old Nov 4th, 2015, 09:07 AM

I agree that dropping NYC makes sense, especially since you already visited on your last road trip.

Badlands and Mt. Rushmore will be open for business as usual. Much of Yellowstone will be closed down for the winter but there are some things you can still see.

As for the car, I'd make sure the antifreeze, windshield wiper fluid, battery and oil are suitable for cold weather conditions. You aren't likely to hit serious subzero temps in December but it could happen.

>>What's the best website to keep track of the weather?<<
www.weather.gov

>>Can we expect many other drivers on the roads in case the car breaks down?<<
On major interstates, yes. If you're on smaller highways but headed to tourist attractions, there will be others doing the same thing. But if you meander onto smaller highways that aren't leading to anything significant, you might not see many people.

>>Will roads be cleared of snow?<< Roads are cleared after any snowstorm. Major highways get cleared first, then secondary roads. The exception is roads that are closed for winter (such as some in Yellowstone).

>>Anything you think we should add that would be really beautiful in winter?<<
Niagara Falls?

Keep in mind that even though the calendar says December, there's a reasonable chance you won't see snow on the ground for some portions of your trip. I'm in Minnesota and we can go into mid-December or later without significant snowfall. That doesn't really make for 'beautiful' winter scenery, just a lot of brown landscape, so be prepared for that.
Old Nov 4th, 2015, 09:27 AM

Does the Canadian equivalent of AAA cover you for breakdowns or flat tires South of the Border? I have never failed to get the cost of my annual subscription back, but then I have driven a lot of old cars.

Has your car had the major service that most Asian cars need at 100,000 miles or so? This will cost a lot of money because the timing belt needs to be replaced. If it breaks, it destroys -- there are exceptions -- most engines. They usually replace the water pump at the same time because they have to take it off many cars anyway. Most fluids will be flushed and refilled.

At the least, have good winter tires, change the oil and maybe the radiator coolant and transmission fluid if you can get a good package deal, and not at Jiffy Lube.

If it leaks any fluids (look on the driveway) carry spares and check the levels religiously every morning before you start.

I've been in plenty of areas out west where there has been no cellphone signal, so you need maps ( you can usually get one for the current state at a welcome center), you need warm clothes, hats, well, you know, all the stuff you need in Quebec and enough food and liquid for two days stuck in the car. A sleeping bag, flashlight and batteries, etc. Toilet paper or baby wipes.
Old Nov 4th, 2015, 10:41 AM

I would be very hesitant to drive a car with that many miles - and I know nothing about the general reliability of that car - across the country without a complete check by your mechanic and making sure battery, tires and breaks are either new or close to it.

As for what to carry with you - a complete winter safety kit - snow shovel, ice scraper for windshield. snow brush for the car, extra of all the fluids including gas, and for you extra sweters, blankets, and food and water (yes, in a cooler) in case you get stuck by the side of the road for 24 hours (which can easily happen in a large winter storm).
Old Nov 4th, 2015, 01:15 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Ack's question is my first one - AAA or CAA.
Keep snacks in the car and have a good trip!
Old Nov 4th, 2015, 04:58 PM

Yeah, breaks are important, new or otherwise.
Old Nov 4th, 2015, 08:51 PM

Unpopular opinion: 2006 is not a very old car, and 200k km is only 124k or so miles. Of course, have it serviced, that's essential for such a long road trip, but do you have some specific reason to fear its breaking down??
Old Nov 5th, 2015, 09:08 AM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't answer about your car except to re-emphasize what's been said above. (Though below I can describe the routers.)

You WILL be driving (1) long distances (2) at high elevation, (3) through mountainous terrain with relatively steep grades in part, and (4) you will likely be encountering snow or ice and cold weather during at least portions of your trip. All of the above are hard on any car - especially an older car. I've done similar trips in winter in cars with more than 100,000 miles on them, but when I was much younger, when I could easily stop for lengthy repairs if needed, and was prepared. Definitely either have CAA or AAA, or extra money with you and emergency gear.

Since you are from Montreal you probably are already familiar with driving on snow or ice. So it a bit puzzles me why you'd ask about emergency gear to take. But ... driving in remote areas through mountains *is* different than driving through snow in flater lands. For that, and for one of the best reviews for emergency equipment and of driving on snow or ice in remote areas see http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g1...r.Driving.html

The route you are proposing, even though it is further south, is not much different than the trans-Canada across the prairies (just not *quite* as cold). Even in December during an El Nino year you will likely encounter at least some snow and some cold temperatures (below -10 C or colder). Although El Nino usually is warmer and less snow in the Pacific Northwest, it often provides more snow in the Rockies and Utah.

Try to stay on the interstates as much as possible ... they have less grades, more traffic (hence plowed and maintained better), and more access to help. The two big interstates on your route are I-90 or I-80. I-90 west of mid-Montana is much more mountainous with more grades, more snow, hence harder on your car.

I'd heartily recommend that you plan on using I-80 at the very least west of mid Wyoming. In Utah change to I-84 through Idaho to Oregon, It has less mountainous terrain and less likely to meet heavy snow.

Most of I-80 is through non-mountainous, dry, but high country subject to cold and periodic snow storms. The places you will hit the most mountainous and hardest grades and possibly snow is (a) from the Wyoming/Utah border to Salt Lake or Ogden, and again in Eastern Oregon from Baker City to Pendleton.

Note that this year there have already been some snow storms to Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana.

Almost all roads in Yellowstone are already closed for the winter. See http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/parkroads.htm and http://www.yellowstonepark.com/2014/...access-winter/

At Pendleton Oregon you have 2 choices:
(a) continue on I-84 through the Columbia River gorge to Portland. This is the easy with much less grades (no severe grades). And will be less hard on your car. However, periodically the Gorge gets huge ice storms and is either closed, or dangerously icy with strong winds - December is a common month for them. In that case, you can stop and wait a few days (usually the problem just lasts a couple of days)
or
(b) take I-84, thence I-90 direct to Seattle. This route has *far* greater grades, hence will be harder on your car. And you are more likely to hit snow - even during an El Nino year.

But, in short, you could hit cold and snow throughout your trip, or you could luck out and have just sun most of the way. No way to predict. Keep a close eye on the weather and road reports.
Old Nov 5th, 2015, 11:23 AM

Oh, and since you say "want to move to" ...
Hopefully you don't have a lot of things you want to take in your car with you. Remembering several cross-country moves during my youth - my buddies and I put far more than we should have into the car. That's horribly hard on the car and amplifies the difficulties your car will face and the chance of breakdowns. It's especially hard on the suspension, the brakes, and the engine when trying to pull up steep grades at high elevation. (High elevations suck much of the power out of your engine.) Luckily we made those long moves in the summer ... though even then halfway across we had to get new shocks put in (= $ + time + )
Old Nov 5th, 2015, 09:24 PM

We wouldn't make that trip even in a new car !!
Old Nov 6th, 2015, 07:31 AM

I'm thinking I must be very lucky indeed, because I have criss crossed the country in so-called "old" cars and never once had a breakdown, unless you count a flat tire once on a washboard road in Arizona.

Weather is another issue, of course. But I am finding the warnings about the car to be a bit alarmist. Have it serviced, carry emergency supplies, watch the weather. It's not Terra Incognita, after all.
Old Nov 6th, 2015, 08:57 AM

Let me just throw out a different scenario.

I haven't been able to find a Canadian auto transport company that gives "instant" quotes for car shipping, but I can't imagine they're very different from US prices.

Using US collection and delivery points, however, I can see online prices for shipping a 2006 Kia Rio from Boston to Seattle in the range of US$1100 to $1300, around $100 to $200 less if shipping to LA or San Francisco.

Now, conservatively it seems to me that counting fuel, lodging, incidentals, you'd be hard pressed to stay under $2000 for a 7 to 10 day road trip covering the same distance. Of course you'd have to fly from the drop-off point (could be in the US, could be in Montreal) to the pick-up or delivery point. But for example, say you wanted to substitute a short Pacific coast road trip for the transcontinental one, and had the car delivered in San Francisco. A one way flight from Boston or Montreal to SFO will cost roughly US$150-$200 or its CA$ equivalent, so x 2 persons, all in you're looking at a pretty comparable cost - or less - to the drive, minus all the risks of breakdowns, winter weather delays, all that, that the drive would entail. You could "road trip" under much more favorable conditions - see the redwoods, the northern California or Oregon coasts with much less risk of snow and ice, shorter distances, and some great cities en route to explore if you want.

Just a thought.
Old Nov 6th, 2015, 09:40 AM

Road trips aren't about getting there! It's the journey, not the destination.

The OP doesn't sound like a Trustafarian and what other young person has the kind of money you are talking about?
Old Nov 6th, 2015, 09:53 AM

Will the friend split the cost of shipping the car? Doubtful, right? Whereas splitting the cost of the road trip halves your $2000 estimate...
Old Nov 6th, 2015, 10:15 AM

<i>Road trips aren't about getting there! It's the journey, not the destination.

The OP doesn't sound like a Trustafarian and what other young person has the kind of money you are talking about?</i>

One, don't tell your grandpa how to drink whisky. There are all kinds of road trips.

Two, my point was that there was an alternative way to spend that much money in getting to Vancouver. Why are you assuming (a) the age of the OP, or (b) their means?

<i>Will the friend split the cost of shipping the car? Doubtful, right? Whereas splitting the cost of the road trip halves your $2000 estimate...</i>

I'd assume that costs will be shared regardless of the type of trip. Why would you assume otherwise?

<i>Me and a friend of mine currently live in Montreal, Canada <b>as part of a working holiday year</b>... We want to move to Vancouver in December. We're hoping to make it there by NYE.</i>

So the OP and a friend are living in Montreal as part of a "working holiday." I'm going to guess that means they're not permanent residents of Montreal, or maybe even Canada. And even that's a guess; we don't know much more. That one of them owns a car and the other doesn't isn't surprising, but it might well be a shared vehicle.
Old Nov 6th, 2015, 10:35 AM

Ah ... memories of long road trips winter and summer ... sleeping in sleeping bags in the car in the parking lots of ski resorts, windows and beards and ski boots totally frosted in the morning ... camping near a remote garage while the mechanic and I worked on the car and waited for parts to arrive by bus ... pulling out our sleeping bags in the middle of the night to sleep for a few hours in the high desert and smelling like sage brush for several days afterwards ... living on shared breakfasts because breakfasts were cheaper than lunches or dinner...

... days when the only advice one could get is from word of mouth and rumor from friends or strangers or printed magazines/books ...

It's a lots easier and more comfortable now flying here and there and staying in warm cocoons and getting all sots of advice to enable planning ... man, I'd love to be doing that again (but the thought would horrify my wife - and I'd probably catch pneumonia)

We all have to find our own comfort levels - and they sure do change at each phase of our lives.
Old Nov 6th, 2015, 11:22 AM

<<Can we expect many other drivers on the roads in case the car breaks down?>>

I'm not 100% sure why this would be beneficial- if your car breaks down, you call someone- AAA, etc. You don't get into someone else's car- that assuming that anyone would stop anyway...

If you're moving, your car is going to be chock-full of stuff, since there are two of you. So you will probably have limited vision out the back of your car, plus the extra weight is harder on your car, especially in winter.

Have you driven in winter conditions before? You're in Canada for a year, but since you're moving in Dec, I'm guessing your year isn't up, so you may have not driven in winter conditions before- it's not easy, and it's not a good idea to learn crossing the continent.

El Nino might be making it warmer, but that means more days at 25 instead of 10 or 15, not that winter will be balmy and sunny...

I'd drop NYC, you don't need a car there, nor is it cheap to keep one there.

How long are you planning on driving every day? Is it just you driving or do you have your friend on your car insurance so she can drive too? Remember, the days are quite short up north in the winter, so daylight will be at a premium.