My partner and I are planning a 2 weeks trip to Switzerland and Italy in July-August and will be spending about a week in each country. We picked two bases in Italy; Milan and Rome but have yet to decide on the two bases in Switzerland. We are more or less settled with the itinerary in Italy but are having trouble for Switzerland and we hope any one of you could help us.
1) Our flight will arrive in Zurich in the afternoon, do we stay overnight or do we proceed straight to our first base? This is after about an 18 hours flight. We may be completely exhausted but we should be fine if the train ride takes only about an hour or two.
2) Places we would like to visit includes Mt Pilatus, Mt Titlis, Jungfraujoch, and also we don't mind taking casual hikes (at the Jungfrau Region? or any recommendations for this?) if the weather permits. If possible, we would also like to take one of the panorama trains (Bernina Express or Glacier Express?) or is the Jungfraujoch round trip sufficient?
That being said, should our first base be Lucerne and second, Interlaken/Lauterbrunnen /Grindelwald/Murren/Wengen? Not sure which of the second town we picked is easily accessible to our next destination, Milan.
3) We will need to get the train passes but are not sure which will be the best for us - to take a Swiss pass for Switzerland and Eurail pass for Italy OR just one Eurail pass to be used in both Switzerland and Italy.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Getting around Lisbon
- 2 Lisbon stay - Olissippo Lapa Palace vs NH Collection Lisboa Liberdade
- 3 Greece -- Alternative to Athens
- 4 Overwhelmed with planning! Need help from Italy experts.
- 5 1st Birthday Party in Italy questions
- 6 London: Stunning New American Embassy
- 7 Rome Hotel
- 8 Trains - website?
- 9 First time italy, 12 nights. What to do
- 10 Moscow Hotels
- 11 Winter ... UK Finland Sweden. (Live...ish)
- 12 Drive from Paris to Mont St Michael
- 13 Easter Week in Italy
- 14 Spain.... 2.5 Weeks... Need Help!
- 15 Paris November 2017
- 16 X-mas Eve dinner in Rome
- 17 Spain in 2018
- 18 Can only visit one (maybe two) cities. Which one?
- 19 Planning a Trip from DC to Anywhere in Europe (Budget Friendly)
- 20 Italy: Hotels on the Amalfi Coast; Orvieto; Perugia; Florence; and Siena
- 21 Christmas week in Ireland
- 22 Is the scenery in South Italy worth the trip by train
- 23 Which Aran Island??
- 24 August - Croatia, Italy, Malta
- 25 Help me pick a destination --- Please!