Search

2 weeks Riccione, Bologna

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 weeks Riccione, Bologna

20 July 2010, 13:03
My beloved and I are planning to fly to Italy on 23 Sept to spend about 2 weeks in Bologna/Riccione/Ravenna/Rimini area. We are going Adriatic coast to stay on the beach for about a week, while touring Ravenna, Rimini and any other interesting places anyone may suggest. We heard that Riccione is the place to stay while there...correct or any other advice? The beach is always a nice vacation for us. Sicily, the Amalfi and Ligurian coasts did not disappoint, so we are pretty sure that the Adriactic will be just as great. Is a week too much?...because then we are going on to Bologna for a week and day tripping to Modena, Parma, Ferrara... Should we stay in Modena and day trip to Bologna, Ferrara, Parma? I have bookmarked several Bologna discussions and it seems that Bologna alone could occupy us for the entire time...but while we are there, it would be a shame not to tour around a bit. Our main problem is getting a hotel in Bologna...we were going to start in Bologna and then go on to the beach, however, there is a trade fair there the first week we are there, so everything is booked. We turned the travelling upside down, to start on the coast, but we are still having problems booking the first week of October in Bologna. Thus my query about staying in some other town around there. Any suggestions, or small hotels, that might not be advertised so readily on the trip advisor or fodors forums? And finally, we are thinking of NOT renting a car for this trip. Is that wise? I hear there are fabulous public transport connections from Bologna, and the only thing we might need a car for is the car museums outside of Modena. Parking in the cities, it seems is a problem...I should know, I live in New York City and do have a car which can be a both a convenience and a pain. Thanks in advance for any suggestions, information, or advice.
Old Jul 27th, 2010, 10:49 AM

I don't know anything about Riccione, but the Adriatic coastline with rare exception is flat as a pancake -- which disappoints a lot of Amerian visitors. In addition, most of the recreational area along the long flat coast is built up with sky high hotels condos, Miami-style, and amuseument parks. If you are a Fellini fan, you may have a lot of fun in historic Rimini, and a Leonardo da Vinci fan, in the port he designed in the town of Cesanatico. But you will not find the scenery or the ambience of either Liguria or the Amalfi -- and you may like it better.

Ravenna is one of the rare places in Italy that never disappoints any visitor who goes, at least as far as I have ever heard.

Once the summer is over, chances are slim that you can locate a moment in Bologna when there is not a trade fair going on. If want to give up your car, Modena makes a nice base for day trips, including frequent trips in Bologna (only 20 minutes away by train).

Keeping your car only poses a problem if you have a hotel in central Bologna. You might consider keeping it and staying in an agriturismo, somewhere Bologna or a Modena, and using the car for visiting Parma and other places, including the car museum. Just be sure before you head for a historic city like Parma that you have located a parking lot at the periphery of the city, so you can avoid any risk of traffic violations driving into the historic center. To visit Bologna, do likewise, or park at the airport and take the shuttle bus in and out.

Sorry I can't help you out with lodging recommendations beyond what you see on Tripadvisor. You are right that Bologna could occupy all your time. Maybe a base in Modena, without a car, would be the best answer: Multiple day trips into Bologna/Ferrara, a visit to Parma. See the car museums on your way into Modena, before you give your car.
Old Jul 27th, 2010, 11:13 AM

I don't know anything about Riccione, either, but the map shows that it's between Rimini and Gabicce Mare, about both of which I know a little bit... expect precisely what zeppole described for the Adriatic coast, amusement parks, discos... most probably not what you would call a serene, dignified ambiance, but definitely what an enormous number of people needs in order to have fun during their beach holiday.
Let me add that historic Rimini is not for Fellini fans only - but also for fans of Leon Battista Alberti (like myself)!
Old Jul 27th, 2010, 11:22 AM

Take a look on the SlowTrav website for apt rentals in Bologna and the surrounding area. Maybe they cater less to business travellers?

The food markets in Bologna are wonderful, so we enjoyed eating at home a few nights in the apartment we rented.
We stayed at the Tower Apt from Views of Italy. http://viewsofitaly.com/index.htm

It was wonderful with glorious views from the tower- a perfect place to drink wine and eat salumi. It is on the top floor of a very tall building with no elevator, so not for the faint of heart- we are avid hikers and runners and in decent shape and we found going up a workout but worth it.
Old Jul 27th, 2010, 11:41 AM

Try www.Perfectplaces.com and look for apartments in bologna. We will be there the second full week of Sept. and I know there is no trade show then --- or at least there was none when I booked our apartment, which is just outside the historic center.
Old Jul 27th, 2010, 12:37 PM

<<I don't know anything about Riccione, but the Adriatic coastline with rare exception is flat as a pancake -- which disappoints a lot of Amerian visitors.>>

It also disappoints visitors from other countries.

I agree with others that an apartment in Bologna may work well for you.
Old Jul 27th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the great information. Considering that zeppole, franco, and zoecat seem to think the Adriatic coast is somewhat disappointing in comparison to the other coasts of Italy, is 1 week with day trips from there too much time? should we stay a night in Ravenna so as to have 2 days there? Should we shorten the beachy part and lengthen the Bolognese part? We will NOT have a car, but if it is necessary to have one to visit the Ferrari, Ducati, and Lamborghini museums outside of Modena, we will rent one from Bologna for a day or 2. Out of the blue, I was able to find a lovely, reasonable Bolognese hotel for the time we needed, so that one worry is over. If you know anything about the Paradiso, that would be appreciated. The reviews are pretty good. Again, thank you for input and thanks in advance for any further advice.
Old Jul 27th, 2010, 01:04 PM

I would definitely stay one night in Ravenna - one day is scarce for that wonderful town. And yes, personally, I would shorten the time on the beach, but that's of course your holiday: if you feel comfortable with the description of the typical Adriatic beach given above, don't shorten your time; if you don't, do. I, personally again, would perhaps stick to one week in Bologna and use the time gained by shortening the beach stay in a third location to the west of Emilia-Romagna: perhaps in Parma, which is a great place; or in Modena, which would shorten daytripping times to Parma and other places in the western part of the region.
Old Jul 27th, 2010, 01:05 PM

Fourth location, sorry: Ravenna would be the third, in this case.
Old Jul 27th, 2010, 02:10 PM

The Paradiso in Bologna is fine. I've stayed there. It's not going to be the hotel you write poetry about (and mind the step up and down when you go into the bathroom), but it has a fantastic location on a blissfully quiet little street. Get a taxi from the station or you might not find it.

The Adriatic coastline disappoints *other* people. I'd go there in a flash!

I love true Italian beach culture, in all its manifestations. Besides area is rich with history -- this is where Ceasar crossed the Rubicon! and -- as Franco points out -- it marvelous art and architecture from may eras. The food is fun and uniquely satisfying (especially if you like rich oily fish) and -- and there is Fellini! (Any chance you are flying into Federico Fellini Aeroporto?)

Anyway, I think the basics of your trip are fine, and you'll simply have to work with your booked dates at the Paradiso, and rent a car when you need one and find a place to park it. All the problems are solvable. If you like quirky, off-the-beaten track travel, you'll warm up to the Adriatic (you can get to Cesantico by train, so make it day trip.) Decamping to Ravenna for 2 nights sounds good. It's a lovely place. It may be that the Adriatic disappoints more than Americans, but Europeans pour into the place every year, so be prepared for company.

Rent a copy of Fellini's "Amarcord" and decide for yourself how long you'd like to stay!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlq0l7kuxtQ
Old Jul 27th, 2010, 02:14 PM

This clip will give you a pretty good of the coastal topography:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eid4...eature=related
Old Oct 25th, 2012, 07:46 AM

You can easily daytrip to Ravenna with the direct train from Rimini/Riccione (another popular daytrip is the bus to San Marino). Heck, it's only an hour to Bologna - - daytripping there from Rimini would solve the hotel problem. I think Rimini is more a glaring garish stroller's delight than Riccione, which is maybe better for the club & bar scene. At Rimini you pick up the bus that takes 5 minutes from the station to get to the main drag, and the main drag goes on forever - - (till it gets to Riccione, actually). Rimini has great wide beaches that are a bit of an expansive walk to get to the water, whereas the beaches in Riccione are narrower and the lounge chairs are closer to the surf, (Google Image search Rimini beach and Riccione beach to get a visual comparison).