Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

2 weeks Italy & Provence nedd help with Italy

Dec 1st, 2009, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

We are a couple in our 50s flying into Rome mid May 2010 for 2 weeks(17days), first week plus we would like to see part of Italy & the second week all 4 couples (long time friends)are meeting & staying for 7 days in a Villa near Avignon & then flying out of Paris. Two of the other couples will be in Italy for 2 weeks before we arrive, so we would like to join up in Rome & make our way to Provence(3 couples). We would really like to do the Cinque Terra(sp) & what ever else might be suggested. We have been to Europe a few times but never to Italy. We are active & enjoy art, food & drink. We thought about 2 or 3 days in Rome & then maybe a couple of days in CT. Our last week will be layed back so our first week could be a bit busy. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Dec 1st, 2009, 04:39 PM

Nothing Fodorites like as much as a blank cheque.

Well, if I understand correctly: you have 10 days in which to see Italy and get to Avignon.

How do you travel to Avignon? By train or car?

As we go to Rome for a week each year -- and hunger to return each time we leave -- I cannot imagine limiting myself to 2-3 days there.

It is the perfect city, May is the perfect month for seeing it. How will you tear yourself away?

It is not just the perfect city for "sights": It is, IMO, the perfect city to hang out...shop...eat...wander...just to "be".

Five days would definitely not be too long there, trust me!
Dec 1st, 2009, 05:30 PM

Yup, four or five full days for Rome. It takes a minimum of three just to see the bare basics, and that's if you're pretty businesslike about your sightseeing.

If you pick your departure right, you can get to the heart of the CT in under 5 hours and arrive in the early afternoon. Unless you are big hikers, I'd give it arrival day plus one more, as the villages are tiny, and then head off to France.
Dec 1st, 2009, 07:03 PM

You could rent an apartment in Rome for a week and then take the train to C.T..Easy to do day trips from Rome to Assisi, Orvieto, etc. Or -- You could stay in Rome for a couple of days, take the train to Venice for a couple of days, And then take the train to Florence for a couple of days. Easy to get to the C.T. from Florence. You can't see it all in one trip. If it was me I'd do rome, Venice,Florence, 3 nights each, and then if time permits C.T. for 2 nights. It is very easy to get around Italy on the trains.
Dec 1st, 2009, 08:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks tedgale & artsnletters, I was kind of thinking that Rome was probably not just a couple of days also. Thanks leuk 2 for the apartment idea that might work as well. We have rented apartments in Spain & they really worked out, any thoughts on the area in Rome? The CT is high on our list of places to see, so we have to fit it in. With the 6 of us traveling to France we thought a car would make the most sense,renting in Rome & returning to Nice, any thoughts? We have used the trains on other trips & enjoyed them. Do you think finding places to fit the 6 of will be a problem in any of these places?
Dec 3rd, 2009, 06:58 PM

We stayed at palazzo olivia (sp) in rome. Great apartments in a great location. Highly recommended.
Dec 3rd, 2009, 07:24 PM

A quick note about the car rental - renting in one country and returning in another adds on a drop-off premium (on top of the regular fee)of about $500. (Actually, would you be renting two cars, or a minivan, or what?)

How about Rome, train to Florence, take some day trips in Tuscany (someone can tell you how best to do that, bus or trains), then train to the CT? It's more of a direct line. Then once you're in France, rent the car.

Just my 2 cents. Have a wonderful time.
Dec 3rd, 2009, 08:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all, MAJOR CHANGE OF PLANS, it will now be just DW & myself for the time before Provence. Thanks Iwan2go, Now we are thinking as has been suggested, Rome for 3 nights(I know we will return for a longer visit), Florence for 3 or 4 days (suggestions on day trips?) & then CT for a couple of days, then off to Provence. Because it is now just the 2 of us, B&Bs or small hotels will work better for local info. Any suggestions for places in Rome? How about Florence, is it a good idea to stay in the city or are there places nearby to stay, we will probably use trains or buses (is this doable without a car?) Any suggestions on where to stay in CT ? Any ideas on the most efficient travel between these areas as well as to Avignon?
Thanks for your help.
Dec 3rd, 2009, 08:57 PM

In-city for sure for Florence (assuming neither of you have mobility issues); quite walkable and the walking gives you the excuse to enjoy that much more of the cuisine . Don't have a recommendation for a hotel because we rented an apartment for a week when we were there in '07. Day trip to Sienna, visit the Uffizi if you like art (even if you don't). Climb the Dome.

Train's definitely the way to go unless you particularly want to get somewhere the train doesn't go.

HTH
K
Dec 3rd, 2009, 10:05 PM

We loved staying at La Torretta in Manarola in the CT last May. Charming place, wonderful breakfasts and wine and appetizer served every evening and the nicest host--Gabrielle.

http://www.torrettas.com/
Dec 9th, 2009, 04:46 AM

In Florence, if you'd rather be away from the noise and bustle but still convenient to everything I'd recommend Villa la Sosta (www.villalasosta.com). Host Antonio Fantoni will make you feel welcome in his family home that sits on the hillside above the city. There is a bus stop right outside the gate, or take a taxi to the city center.
Dec 9th, 2009, 05:45 AM

hi wilkie,

you STILL have only 7 days for Italy, as I understand it. if you try to combine Rome, Florence, the CT AND travel to Avignon into 7 nights [or is that 6 nights?] you wil feel very short-changed.

i would suggest that if one of them has to go, make it Florence. May is a great time to be in the CT, and you don't want to spend less than 4 nights in Rome, especailly factoring in jet-lag.

My itinerary would be this:-

Rome 4 nights, CT 3 nights, [it's quite along journey between the two, and tihs would give you two whole days in the CT] then head to Avignon.

the 2010 Fodor's Italy has a great section on the CT.

have a great trip,

regards, ann
Dec 9th, 2009, 06:11 AM

Unless you're really into hiking, I would skip the CT and see Florence instead, especially if you've never seen it before.
Dec 9th, 2009, 08:08 AM

dwdvag..., the CT is a priority with the OP. I think they should skip Florence, unless thay're big fans of Renaissance art and architecture.

So, Rome for as long as you can, then 2 or 3 days in the Cinque Terre, then on to Avignon.

Re: transportation, a car is useless in the CT, so you definitely don't want to drive. Have you checked out the train to Avignon yet? I see a minimum of 2 train changes and 9.5 hours. You might consider stopping off a night in Nice to break that up.