Notices

2 weeks Italy and Croatia

Old Dec 21st, 2005, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 weeks Italy and Croatia

How would you spend 2 weeks between Italy and Croatia with 2 kids (13 and 9)?
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 11:07 AM

Wow--what an open question.

I do not think I would. Italy deserves 6 weeks by itself and Croatia is another 10 days. I just do not see a fit in only 2 weeks.
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 03:26 PM

I have to agree with bobthenavigator.
We spent 2 weeks in Italy a couple years ago, and already planned 4 or 5 other trips to Italy (each in a different region, so no overlaps).
We’ll go to Croatia next year (2 weeks) and I had already trimmed the itinerary to 4 locations only, with day trips. We will not see all the places that I had originally wanted to see….maybe next time.

Now, depending on what “Italy and Croatia” means to you….You could pick 2 Italian cities (choose from Rome, Florence, Venice, etc) and 1 Croatian (Dubrovnik, Rovinj) – that will give you enough to do and see in both countries without rushing it. But if you want to see more locations in one country, you should decide on one of them, and leave the other one for a future trip. Keep in mind, traveling from point A to point B in Croatia takes a lot longer than you’d expect.

There’s another thread on this board on how to choose between Italy and Croatia. Do a search for it, it might help you decide. Wherever you decide to go, you can’t go wrong.
Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 03:41 AM
Original Poster

Iwas thinking 10 days in Rome , florence , and Venice with 3-4 days on the dalmatian coast with a boat ride from Ancona or Train from Venice?
Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 05:32 AM

How do you get to Ancona to meet the ferry? Where do you depart for home?
It is just very tough logistics.
Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 05:39 AM

Bob, is there a problem getting to the ferry in Ancona? We are thinking of doing Split-Ancona by ferry. Would it be better to do Dubrovnik-Bari??
Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 08:45 AM

Based on your post, I'm assuming you have not been to Italy before, at least not with the kids. So I would stick with just Italy and leave Croatia for another time. Two weeks to do the big three, plus Dalmatia would very rushed and exhausting.

If you're wanting to get some beach time, perhaps take the kids to the Italian coast for a day or two. They'd love it. Maybe the Amalfi Coast/Capri? You could then visit Pompeii.

Italy is also easy to get to/from, where as Croatia is more complicated and time consuming. Getting to Ancona itself would take some time, and there is no train service to speak of in Croatia. You could take the train to Trieste and bus down, however. But, that makes for a very long and wastes an entire day on a two week trip.

We are going to Croatia in June, but from what I've read/heard, it seems that Croatia isn't as child friendly as Italy. I'm not sure our kids would enjoy it the same way they have enjoyed Italy. I may be wrong, but we decided to leave the kids behind on this trip! Now that's a vacation!!

Good luck

Old Dec 27th, 2005, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

It sounds like I'm better off staying in Italy the whole time. Is the Amalfi Coast a good to spend the last 3 days of a 2 week vacation with kids? Thanks for the info thus far.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 10:08 AM

Instead of the Amalfi Coast, you might consider the Cinque Terre. It is about a 2 hr. drive from Florence. We just spent a day there, hiking to 4 of the 5 towns, but several days would be even better. The hiking/views are spectacular!