2 Weeks in Sicily, where to stay...

Feb 23rd, 2005, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

2 Weeks in Sicily, where to stay...

Hi everyone, I am trying to plan a couple of months in Italy of which I'd like to spend 2 weeks in 2 different towns in Sicily, maybe opposing coasts. Can anyone tell me where there favorite town in Sicily is? If you had to stay in one town in Sicily for over a week (OTHER than Taormina), where would it be? I'm trying to reduce the bruising pain of the exchange rate by staying in apartments for longer periods of time. So if I get the wrong town, it could end up being a real drag! Can anyone help? Any suggestions welcomed and greatly appreciated! Thanks a bunch!
Feb 24th, 2005, 03:48 AM

I really enjoyed Sciacca on the southwestern coast. We stayed in an apartment at http://www.verdetecnica.com/

It is a convenient base (if you have a car) to Selinunte & Agrigento. The restaurants are wonderful in the area, and the owners are extremely nice. This is a supermarket not too far from Verdetecnica.

Feb 24th, 2005, 03:49 AM

I meant "there"!
Feb 24th, 2005, 04:19 AM

Palermo. We spent a week there & thought it was fantastic - there was so much to see. I want to go back.
Feb 24th, 2005, 05:11 AM

If Taormina is one, then my vote also goes to Palermo. For one thing, Taormina is relaxing and Palermo is frenetic. For another, there is really only the Greek theatre in Taormina, whereas Palermo and its immediate environs are full of fascinating places to visit. Do not miss the cathedral in Monreale (accessible by bus from downtown Palermo).
Feb 24th, 2005, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks for the tips. I've heard a lot now about Sciacca, I'm definately going to check that out. What do you think about home base in Cefalu'? It's quite close to Palermo by train. We are thinking of dumping the rental car idea, it's too expensive for 2 months. I really liked Cefalu' (loved the hiking of La Rocca, what a thrilling view!)and found it to be a sweet little town. Would Sciacca be ok if we didn't have a car? AP6380 was you're apartment comfortable? Plenty of hot water? Air conditioning? Or was it not needed when you were there? I hate to be one of these Americans who whines about the AC, but I was in Palermo in June and thought it was pretty darn hot. Being a native Arizonan I'm addicted to AC, a bad thing if one travels over seas, eh? Thanks again.
Feb 24th, 2005, 08:29 AM

Good morning, Giulia looking at a map of Sicilia, using Agrigento as a base with rail connection to Palermo (141km).to Siracusa 212. Or another thought is Piazza Amerina, which is 84 km from Catania, 181 km to Messina,
164 km to Palermo, 134 km to Siracusa, thus putting most of Sicilia into a 23 hour drive, fairly centrally located...
Richard of LaGrange Park, Il..
Feb 24th, 2005, 08:31 AM

Without a car, Cefalu may be better. I believe there is a train station there, right? We had a car, so I can't speak to the public transport there. I'm thinking it would be difficult as Verdetecnica itself is situated in an area going up a mountain, and there is really nothing nearby that is walkable. The apartment was very comfortable, we were there in late March, so we didn't need heat or air so I can't speak to that.

What months will you be there? If it's the summer, Cefalu would probably be better for beach access, and if it's fall Palermo would be wonderful.

Feb 24th, 2005, 08:47 AM

I think a week on one of the Aeolian Islands like Lipari, Panarea or Stromboli would be great, offering chances to relax and more stenuous activities like hiking.
Feb 24th, 2005, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Oh yes I looooove the hiking in Italy. We will be there in October/November. I did some research and it does seem that you are right, Cefalu' is probably a better base w/o a car. Is there a lot to see in Palermo? I heard it's fabulous if you can "get used to" the way the city looks and sounds, decaying and frenetic! Would you agree? Is it worth a trip or two to see the sights? Can anyone speak for the weather in late October early November? I know this year they had a terrible heatwave. We were in Naples just this past November and it was still 85 degrees and it was even hotter in Sicily! It was a misery because I packed fall/winter clothes. I guess this time I need to be more prepared, difficult to do with two months of clothes in one small carry on bag (a must for train travel). Thanks for all the great advice. This is such an awesome forum!
Feb 28th, 2005, 03:37 AM

As per my previous posting, there is *lots* to do in Palermo. We spent a week there & didn't see everything - didn't even make it to Monreale or any museums. Can't remember everything we did but it included general walks around to take in the architecture, churches, markets (I liked those best !), the Norman Palace, a restored family palazzo, the catacombs, the opera, fantastic seafood & ice cream. You definitely wouldn't want a car if you stayed in Palermo. I actually didn't like Cefalu, but you've evidently been there before and did.