2 weeks in Provence region of France

Mar 3rd, 2002, 12:10 PM
Kathy

2 weeks in Provence region of France

Hi: Need some input from folks who have spent time in the Provence region of France. Will be there 14 days and we would like to see Monaco and perhaps Milan while there. Is this doable? Does anyone have any suggestions? We will have a car and will be based in one town. Thanks Kathy

Mar 3rd, 2002, 12:18 PM
Bob

You can't possibly do the entire trip from one base, as Milan to Provence, or even Milan to Monaco is too far. I don't know Milan, but you could easily spend a few days in the Nice area and use that as one base, visiting Nice, Monaco, Eze, St. Paul de Vence, Antibes, etc. Then move west and find a place in Provence where you can visitto settle. From there, wherever it is, you can easily vist Aix, Arles, Nimes, Les Baux, Pont du Gard, and the MANY other places with a car.

Mar 3rd, 2002, 12:26 PM
Kathy

We could take the train to an area near Monaco, spend the night and return back to base, could we not? Is this feasible?

Mar 3rd, 2002, 01:33 PM
PB

<<We could take the train to an area near Monaco, spend the night and return back to base, could we not? Is this feasible?>>

You can actually drive to Monaco faster than you can get there by train. You don't say where you plan to base yourself in Provence, but for example, I can drive from my house (I live near Les Baux) to Monaco in 2.5 or 3 hours depending on traffic. The train takes around 4 hours and involves changing trains.

I wouldn't suggest driving to Milan - it's a very long drive.

PB

Mar 3rd, 2002, 01:50 PM
Wayne

Kathy---
In 14 days, what you described is doable--that is, going to varous places in Provence from a base such as Nice, then driving to Milan. But I wouldn't advise it unless there is a very strong need to get to Milan. I don't know if the 14 day period is all the time you have, or whether (for instance) you will be flying into a convenient destination such as Nice, then flying out of Milan, or maybe need to get all the way back to Nice from Milan. If you aren't dead set on going to Milan, and if you don't have to go there to take your outbound flight, I would suggest you spend your time more effectively in the south of France, anywhere from Avignon to Monaco; and Nice is certainly a good base for exploring the area.

Mar 3rd, 2002, 08:14 PM
Arlene

What about a bus from Nice to Aix en Provence? Do you have to change busses?
Thanks

Mar 3rd, 2002, 11:12 PM
PB

Arlene,

I don't know much about bus travel for those distances. There are so many different bus companies that I have yet to find a central site for getting information on buses. Sorry !

PB

Mar 4th, 2002, 03:45 PM
Kathy

Thanks to all of you who replied. No, we don't have to go to Milan, and probably won't. We will be staying in a small village, called Pernes-les-Fontaines. And you are right, we will have enough to see in that area of France. PB-is it very difficult to drive in France? Thanks Kathy

Mar 5th, 2002, 11:41 AM
Bob

Driving in France is easy. Suggest you get a good Michelin map, we had the large spiral bound one which showed every conceivable road. We drove from Paris to Bayeux, the Loire Valley, Orange and Aix in Provence and finally to Nice for the return flight. Driving allowed us to explore the smaller villages in Provence and stop at the many wine regions (Gigondas and Chateauneuf de Pape for example). On a previous trip, we visited Monaco and were disappointed as it was very tourist oriented. Likewise on our trip the past summer, we were disappointed in Avignon. I guess our taste ran more to the small villages. Have a great trip.

Mar 5th, 2002, 12:00 PM
PB

Kathy,

It's easy to drive around here... everything is well signposted and there are plenty of traffic circles than you can go round and round in case you miss your turnoff the first time. One tip I give all visitors - plot your route by looking for the name of towns or villages in the direction you want to travel, instead of by road numbers.

Pernes les Fontaines is a lovely village about an hour northeast of me- you won't have any problem keeping yourself occupied in the area. If you enjoy winetasting, I can recommend driving through Chateauneuf du Pape and the Gigondas area.

PB