Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

2 weeks in Prague, Munich and Salzburg - please help

Old Oct 5th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I posted earlier about a trip my husband and I want to take to Europe next year for Oktoberfest. I tried to cram too much in so I have re-planned the trip - please let me know what you think about this new (very) tentative new plan :

Day 1 - Travel from US to Prague
Days 2-4 - Prague (take night train to Munich)
Days 5-8 - Munich (Oktoberfest and a few day trips)
Days 9-10 - Salzburg (train from and to Munich)
Days 11-13 - driving from Munich to Frankfurt via either the Romantic Road or the Mosel River (Trier, Cochem, Mainz, etc)
Day 14 - quick tour of Frankfurt
Day 15 - Travel from Frankfurt to US

Is that enough time in each place? What are some good day trips from Munich? Would you reccomend driving the Romantic Road or the Mosel River area? Also is Cesky Krumlov close enough to be a day trip from Prague?

I have read some great posts on this website so far which have helped me to come up with this plan...hoping for some more great info!

Thanks so much
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 03:11 PM

First of all I'd probably stick to Germany. Second, if you've not done a night train before you may want to re-think that part of the trip. It sounds terribly romantic but sharing a room, er closet w/several strangers & listening to people shuffle up & down to the loo, hardly make for a good nights' sleep. Not to mention, they usually stop... a lot...Cesky Krumlov could be a daytrip but I would allow an overnight or two. I actually prefer it to Prague in many ways. I'll also vote for the Mosel. You could leave out Salzburg as well, unless you are a big "Sound of Music" fan. I have old posts on here about much of your planned trip as do others. You shoulkd be able to gather quite a bit of info.
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 06:47 AM
ira

Hi V,

Are you sure about the night train to Munich?

www.bahn.de shows a direct train at 17:16 arr 23:26.

All later routes require 3 - 4 changes.

Old Oct 7th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Hey ira - thanks for pointing that out. I was originally planning on going the other direction from Munich to Prague and there is a night train for that I think. I am ok with taking the train you mentioned or my husband and I might even consider driving it...we are open to any ideas

And SA - thanks for your input - however my husband and I don't get to travel very often so I really do want to try and squeeze in as much as possible so we want to hit some places other than just Germany. It's strange that you say to avoid Salzburg because I have found it to be the most recommended city on these forums But I am glad to hear you like the Mosel drive - it is the one I am leaning towards

Thanks for all of you input!
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 11:05 AM

How about day trains and a night in Budweis. It's less touristy than Krumnau and very beautiful too!
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Logos! I was looking at Budweis as well. Would you suggest maybe taking a train then from Budweis to Salzburg 1st and then head up to Munich? It seems to break up the train ride a bit and flow better
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 11:41 AM

Sounds like a good idea!
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 06:53 AM

You could actually daytrip to Salzburg from Munich quite easily. Lots of people love it, I'm just not one of those people. Also seems a shame to skip Vienna if you are traveling from Munich - Prague.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 07:02 AM

Days 11-13:

The Romantic Road is right on the way from München to Franfurt, while the Mosel is north of Frankfurt and requires a detour.

So, the Romantic Road would be my choice.

The road is not romantic at all and better take the Autobahn. I would recommend staying in Feuchtwangen which is a quiet charming town with a central location. It makes a good base to visit Rothenburg, Nördlingen and other places.

There is also a good hotel:
http://www.hotel-greifen.de/
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 09:39 AM

I had the same reaction about the Mosel Valley vs the Romantic Road--that the Mosel is not on the way from Munich to Frankfurt. It isn't too far beyond Frankfurt, however and is certainly do-able.

If you are trying to find more time somewhere in your itinerary, I think Day #14 tour of Frankfurt could be eliminated. The city certainly has plenty to see in a day (great museums) but it is a very modern city with a small reconstructed old center and lacks the charm of other places.

Another place you might consider staying if you do the Romantic Road option is Schloss Harburg
http://www.burgschenke-harburg.de/index.htm
I have never been there overnight so can't report in any detail on the hotel, but the setting is great.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 11:03 AM

What strikes me in your itinerary is your idea of day trips from Munich--please spend some time there.
For one thing--your itinerary has you traveling a lot already. For another, I think Munich is one of the underrated European experiences--with too much emphasis on Octoberfest in most guide books.

While you are there you might see

Deutches Museum
Alte and Neu Alte Pinakotek
the various churches around the square
and the Virtualienmarkt

The itinerary you have planned is not heavy on Museums and outdoor food markets. These are European fixtures
(along with castles, which you would cover in Prague and Salzburg)

I also agree that you can do Salzburg from Munich and if you were not going during Octoberfest I would encourage
you to headquarter in Munich and do that. (Just how much do you want to drink beer with throngs of strangers?)

On an somewhat different wave length , since you have an entire year before travelling--I might add that Bamberg and Nurnberg are two German cities (between Prague and Munich as the train goes) that are worth a visit--particularly Bamberg, which is terrific medieval town, less visited than Rothenberg--famous for the number and variety of it's breweries (no factory beer here--all smaller operations). It is one of our favorite European places and if it is the fact that you are beer lovers that has you thinking you want to go to Octoberfest--you might want to check out this town.

Old Oct 8th, 2007, 02:47 PM

Vanmurphys: I am one of those that loves Salzburg so I would not cut that out of your schedule. We went last October to Munich and Salzburg and are returning in two weeks to do Munich, Salzburg and Prague.

I agree that there is much to see in Munich and you may want to consider just one day trip to Fussen to see the castles but spend the rest of the time in Munich proper. There is so much to do there that you could easily fill the time you have right in the city. Englischer Garten, the Residenze (beautiful in my opinion), the viktualmart, Frauenkirche, Nymphenburg Palace, a short ride to Dachau just on the edge of town. There are also museums and plenty of breweries and of course sitting and drinking good German beer and watching the people walk by.
Enjoy your trip. Jackie
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much! This is great information! I will look into your recommendations and see what works
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 04:45 PM

Hi,

I just spent a month in Prague in July and it is my new favorite place. Click on my name to find a long trip report with lots of suggestions dated early August 2007.

We did the Cesky Kromlov trip in one day (see my trip report). We really needed to stay overnight.

I also LOVED Salzburg and Munich. If I had to pick though I would choose Salzburg. I stayed at the Goldener Hirsch and love it and the city!!
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 08:43 AM
MaureenB

The Hotel Uhland in Munich is a few blocks from the Oktoberfest park. It's a wonderful little hotel that will book up really early during that time. We stayed there in their family room and loved it one June They serve a nice full breakfast buffet in a lovely room, and their front desk is very helpful. They even have free bikes to borrow.
>-