Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

2 weeks in Prague & 1 week in Budapest in May 2005- any suggestions?

Old Mar 30th, 2005, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are fairly experienced travelers but this will be our first time in Prague and Budapest - staying in holiday flats in both cities.

I would welcome any advice and/or suggestions for "not to be missed" places and experiences in either city. We will not have a car but will use the metro/bus pass and also would like to take daytrips. We are in our mid-50s and quite healthy.
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 06:42 AM

Two very popular daytrips from Prague are Cesky Krumlov and Kutna Hora.
Companies like Martin Tours and Prague Sightseeing run group daytrips. While we were in Prague last time we took a daytrip to Terezin (former concentration camp) with Wittmann tours.
Wittman and also Precious Legacy also offer tours of the Jewish Quarter in Prague.

We also used the services of a private guide for general sightseeing.
Dana Chaloupka, http://sweb.cz/travelcz
Other guides that have been recommended here are Sarka www.prague-guide.info and Sabine, email [email protected]

As for how to spend your time, what made you choose Prague in the first place? What did you have in mind in terms of interest? One must imo is the Prague Castle.

I have a file on Prague; if you'd like to see it, email me at
[email protected]
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 06:43 AM

I recently posted a prague trip report that you can find here: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...amp;dirtyBit=1

You can do a search to find more detail on other things to do and see in Prague AND in Budapest.

Good luck!
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 07:07 AM

Sorry....wrong link. Here's the correct one or just click on my name:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34586436
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Renee. I just printed your trip report and will read it later on my way home.

Elaine, Prague and Budapest are only a part of our 8 1/2 week European trip this spring. We are revisiting the other places - London, Austria, Germany, and ending in Paris for two weeks in June. We usually go for 6-8 weeks European trip every spring and like to see new places plus revisit some favorites.
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 08:09 AM

You'll love both places , they are
incredible.
i would spend 3 full days in Prage min., just to see the city center, and 3 days for outside travels, Kutna Hora,
Chesky Krumlov and the hot springs town
are 3 great tours,I booked them with
ATHOS.CZ EXCELLENT COMP.-
In Budapest we took a tour with cityrama -great company.
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 08:36 PM

I also used Athos in Prague and Cityrama in Budapest. Both are reliable and helpfull for day trips. Have a great trip.
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 09:16 PM

Two wonderful cities! I have pages of websites for both cities, as well as some other things you might find helpful. If you would like any or all of these, please email me.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 01:06 PM

If you are classical music fans (like us) you will find plenty of excellent free concerts in Budapest, but nothing for less than $20 in Prague. We ended up going to a concert a day in Budapest, it seemed wrong to miss out on so much great free music. Check local weeklies when you get there, if this interests you. At the Liszt Music Academy it's often hard to get tickets, we had no luck during our week stay.

In Budapest we loved the Szechenyi bath in Varosliget/City Park. We rented bikes on Margit Island and enjoyed touring around there. A large concentration of good, reasonably priced restaurants was found in Pest on Liszt Ferenc ter, just south of the Oktogon, and along Andrassy Street between the Opera House and the Oktogon, and on Nagymezo Street in the same neighborhood. The Oktogon itself is full of conveniences, cheap internet access (in the Burger King and an internet cafe next door), post office, ATM's, etc. You'll probably take the obligatory stroll down Vaci utca, I found the Central Kavehaz (off the southern end of Vaci) more to my liking than the more famous Gerbaud. Unfortunately the New York Kavehaz was closed for renovation while we were there, but will reopen later this year.

The House of Terror on Andrassy St. is more than worth the visit, if you have the stomach for it. Also the National Museum near Kalvin Ter is great (and free). We also visited musical sites, like Liszt's house (Pest) and Bartok's memorial house (Buda, a ways out by bus). We had wanted to take daytrips from Budapest during our week there, but we found too much to do in the city that our days quickly filled up.

Of course the castle districts of both cities are great, you could spend several days in each one and not get bored. Prague Castle is particularly gorgeous. I could go on and on but there's really no way you can go wrong with these cities, whatever you do, they're chock full of attractions.
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone, for all of your suggestions. I am finally able to concentrate in gathering all my information together for our trip starting next week - just finished my busiest time at work.
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 06:21 AM

Wow, 8 1/2 weeks in Europe! I guess you really are experienced travelers.
Don't forget to tell us what you especially enjoyed this Spring.

todd42...could you say a little more about where concerts are in P. and B. and any tips?

Thanks...Bill L.
[email protected]