Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

2 weeks in Paris, Italy and Spain - Need Itinerary Help Please

Jul 11th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Good day,

My wife and I are going to Europe for the first time. We found a very cheap flight from Vancouver Canada to Paris and leave July 21, 2012. We have no clue in regards to flights, hotels, etc... and are beginning our research now; with 2 weeks to go.

I was hoping if some of you could help us out by outlining an itinerary based on your experiences. We really want to see Paris, Italy and Spain in the 2 weeks we are there. Our general idea is to spend a few days in Paris, Venice and Madrid (or another city in Spain you highly recommend).

Our hotel budget is around $150/night. We don't mind flying interally or taking buses, etc... Whatever you suggest will be helpful.

We are hoping you can suggest times to stay in each of the cities, hotels that are close by and modes of transport between each.

Thanks a lot for your help in advance.
Jul 11th, 2012, 09:15 AM

With just 2 weeks you can visit the 3 cities you mention by flying between them using the European budget airlines.

Use this website to do your planning then go to the website of the carriers of your choice to buy the tickets: http://www.whichbudget.com/

Give your per night budget for hotel recommendations please.
Jul 11th, 2012, 09:17 AM

Sorry, I see you did in fact give your budget. Recommendations will be forthcoming.
Jul 11th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys. You are the best. I'll be checking this post several times a day for the recommendations.

Thanks for the budget airline website.

Do you think I can fit in a train from Venice to Barcelona? We've never travelled by train as well and would be neat to check out.
Jul 11th, 2012, 09:54 AM

What sort of Dollars??? there are many in the world. Best use Euros when talking about Europe.
Jul 11th, 2012, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, you are correct. 75-125 Euros would be our nightly budget for hotels.
Jul 11th, 2012, 10:00 AM

As his name is canada604 I am guessing he is from Canada (likely Vancouver). Yes giving your budget in local currency is more helpful.

Check out hotel Bonaparte http://www.hotelbonaparte.fr/

Venice to Barcelona is a long way, I would fly given your short time frame.

I would split my time between Paris, Venice and Barcelona rather than Madrid. You should get on hotels reservations immediately!
Jul 11th, 2012, 10:02 AM

Try this b&b for Venice http://www.aitagliapietra.com/

Also you can use www.venere.com to see reviews, prices and availability.
Jul 11th, 2012, 10:05 AM

Taking the train from Venice to Barcelona makes no sense at all given your very limited time span. The shortest route ia bout 20 hours with 2 or more changes of train. It would be ahuge waste of time.

Separately - you can't see Paris, Italy and Spain in just 2 weeks. If you pick one city in each country it's possible - but if you add multiple stops in each country all you will have is a tour of european airports and train stations.

And do ralize that many of the low budget airlines do not fly in/out of the major airports - but often much smaller airports that are farther from the cities they serve. Also, they typically have extremely stringent luggage requirements (much smaller and lower weight than US airlines) and typically these are written in stone. For instance, they usually allow ONE small carry-on. Not one oversize carry-on, plus a personal item, plus a camera bag and jacket and whatever. Also - check-in times are enforced very strictly - so be sure to allow plenty of time to get to airports.

Also - low-cost airlines are cheapest when you buy tickets far in advance - you are so close to departure dates the cheap seats - or any seas - may be gone. I would do the best you can to get tickets NOW - if you wait longer you may be shut out.
Jul 11th, 2012, 10:10 AM

You have left things very, VERY late for finding rooms (especially budget rooms) in places like Venice or Paris. And intra-Europe flights will also be tough. If you can even find seats for the days/time you want, they will most likely be expensive because the cheap fares sell out early. (same w/ many train tickets)

If it was me w/ so little lead time, I'd make this trip as simple as possible -not a lot of jumping around from place to place. Start by finding rooms (whatever you can get at this point) in Paris and one other city and work from that.
Jul 11th, 2012, 10:15 AM

1) Madrid will be pretty hot, though you are close enough now to look at forecasts.
2) I'd also look at each of the city's website to see if there are any concerts on etc
3) 15 days and 3 cities is a bit tight as you will lose two days for the travel and at least another day for the jet lag
4) accomodation at the height of the season will be tight and aircon may not be accessible. Book rooms now as you are very tight on time. If aircon is vital (to you) then keep an eye out to check that it is available. Booking.com is useful. Do not just look at international brands, have a look at local hotels using tripadvisor to see how they are.
5) Barcelona will be cooler than Madrid and, I think, has more cheapo flights
6) other flight info at skyscanner
7) train from Venice to Barcelona, have you seen the timetable, there might be a sleeper
8) I've just re-read, you've never traveled by train !!! well you can do a sleeper Paris to Venice.
9) www.bahn.de is good to get an idea of continental travel then use local companies to book tickets etc also www.seat61.com for overview
10) never traveled by train, mutter....

Paris, you want to be in the centre (for me south of the river is ok) but the underground (like a train) and buses are good, Barcelona has buses and underground and I'd stay inland of Las Ramblas( not in there), Madrid central is walkable and I find the gay area is most interesting and cheaper. Venice is tiny and boat/walking all you can do, either stay a couple of paths back from St Mark's, or in Mestre and catch the train in daily.

Let's see what others say and try surfing this site for each city
Jul 11th, 2012, 10:17 AM

I got interrupted by the phone while posting so didn't see nytraveler's posts. Much the same ideas . . .
Jul 11th, 2012, 10:46 AM

You have just 2 weeks = 14 days. At the very least, your arrival day will be spent recovering from jet lag and lack of sleep. If those 14 days also include your departure day, in reality you have just 12 days.

For that reason I suggest that you restrict yourselves to just two cities.

If it is of any help, there is a direct nightly sleeper train between Paris and Madrid.
http://www.elipsos.com/
Jul 11th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Wow. You guys are awesome. Thanks for the info. I'm looking into all of the sites you've suggested.

Please keep the suggestions coming. CHEERS.
Jul 12th, 2012, 04:33 AM

Booking hotels and flights last minute is never ideal but given your circumstances it can't be helped. Some of the usual websites I use which offer cheap deals (mostly when checked in advance though) are:

www.hostelworld.com (which offers hotels and B&B as well, and you only need to pay 10% to book, and the rest on arrival)

www.easyjet.com or www.vueling.com (for cheap flights around Europe). There is also Ryanair, but I would not recommend it as the service is just appalling.

www.voyages-sncf.com (for trains from Paris)
www.renfe.com (for trains from Barcelona...though this website is really not that great, there are issues sometimes when paying with foreign cards)

Even if 12/14 days is not a lot of time to visit 3 cities, I'd say that you've chosen the cities well. Venice and Paris are probably the most beautiful cities in Europe, in my opinion at least.
In Spain I'd recommend Barcelona rather than Madrid, specially at this time of the year, and even more so if you like going to the beach.

I wish you a great trip!
Jul 12th, 2012, 05:56 AM

Like Strawberries I dislike Ryan**r but they are not offering service, just cheap flights with a fast load/unload time. Their bonus scheme is designed about speed so if you are fit they can be very good value, so think carefully before you cut them out of your plans.