Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

2 weeks in Italy and 4 days in Greece HELP!!

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 11:29 AM
MICHAEL

I am going to spend nearly 2 weeks away in Italy travelling with my friends and meeting up with my girl friend. My friend and I want to go to Greece (Mykanos, etc) for 4 days or so. Any ideas for us and the cheapest/quickest way to go from Italy to Greece/Athens?
Thank you

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 12:12 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

There is no easy way except to fly. Greece is a long way from Italy. It would take you 2 days by train and the ferry boats from Brindisi and Athens just to get there---each way.

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 03:47 PM
Mika

Bob the Navigator is absolutely right - I would say - forget it.

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 04:30 PM
Deb

Where are you going in Italy? If you are going to be in the Northern part, you can take a ferry to Athens, which is about 1 full day., but a nice trip. Mykonos is about 5 hours from there. Would be worth it if you are going to be in North-Eastern Italy.

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 05:05 PM
Lee

From everything I have heard avoid the ferry trips from Brindisi to Greece. Fly. It's fster. Why Mykonos? Check out Rhodes (much bigger and a great old town) and Patmos (like Mykonos twenty years ago.) Ask around or on this forum and see if I'm not right. Mykonos is the Disneyland of the Greek Islands. Ugh.

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 06:53 PM
Sherryl

Michael,

I agree with Lee, Rhodes is the best island by far. A great 5 star hotel there is the Rodos Palace. The price was very reasonable (under $100) when booked thru a Greek travel agency in Rhodes. I don't know if they're still around (I was there was 2 years ago) but their name was Rodos Pigasos Travel, tel.# (0241)73455, 76161 or fax # (0241) 35504
Hope this helps.

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 08:48 AM
michael

thank you everyone...keep the ideas and info coming
Thanks