I will be in Turkey and Greece for a month this summer, basicall all of July. Aside from 3 days in Istanbul, the trip will be centered on Greece (I've revised some previous plans that had me spending more time in Turkey for a variety of reasons).
For the first two weeks, I'm traveling with a friend and our schedules are set for Naxos/Milos/Santorini. After that, however, I have 2 more weeks by myself COMPLETELY UP IN THE AIR. I love being spontaneous, and the only other time I've been to the Greek islands, I had no itinerary, hotel reservations, or the like and it worked out perfectly.
My questions are these
1) Is it likely that I will be able to find some sort of accommodations on most of the Cyclades if I don't have reservations? It didn't seem to be a problem last time, also during late July/the high season, but if there are particular islands I should be wary of going to without a reservation, I'd like to be aware of that
2) For someone who will be spending most of his time alone and likely will want to enjoy beautiful beaches, churches, towns and hiking - what other Cycladic islands (or islands that are easy to reach from Santorini), would any of you more experienced travelers recommend? I think we've selected three great ones in Naxos, Milos, and Santorini, and I have no problem going back to one of them again during the same trip if I fall in love with it, but given what I am looking for - perhaps islands like Sikinos, Paros, or Amorgos might be good?
I thought about switching it up completely and traveling back through Athens to get to the Ionian islands on the west coast of Greece since they have a more lush, green landscape than the Cyclades and might provide more diversity, but not sure how easy and/or worthwhile that is to pull off.
Any suggestions for how YOU would spend 2 weeks alone in the Greek islands if big crowds/clubbing wasn't on your list of things to do?
Thanks so much for your input!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Yahoo Mail 1888 260 2909 Reset पासवर्ड Contact Yahoo Techh Care
- 2 Help me with an affordable hotel in Barcelona
- 3 Honeymoon In Italy - Itinerary Help?
- 4 Connecting trains in Chambery
- 5 London: Stunning New American Embassy
- 6 Moscow Hotels
- 7 Rentals in Madrid , Spain-Select
- 8 Spain in 2018
- 9 Looking for Paris Rental Apt.
- 10 Greece -- Alternative to Athens
- 11 Rome Hotel
- 12 Four Nights in Nice--What should we do?
- 13 X-mas Eve dinner in Rome
- 14 Has Berlin Banned Vacation Rentals?
- 15 August - Croatia, Italy, Malta
- 16 Paris November 2017
- 17 Is the scenery in South Italy worth the trip by train
- 18 Best area to stay in Amsterdam for a first time visitor
- 19 First time italy, 12 nights. What to do
- 20 Barcelona - Rome Viking Ocean Cruise
- 21 Rent in Rome
- 22 Traveling by car Munich to Soelden Austria
- 23 Help me pick a destination --- Please!
- 24 Help me get excited about a week in Portugal
- 25 Is a quick stopover in Bern worth it with 3 kids?