Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

2 weeks in Garmisch w/ 16 year old. Suggestions for day trips and activities?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2008, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In June 2008, myself and daughter (16)will be going to Germany for two weeks. We are flying into Munich and staying in Garmisch. Outside of the "standard" tours offered from my hotel, Edelwiess Lodge. While my daughter says she just wants to "chill", I think that if we can go off the beaten path, her perspective about history, the world and "just chilling" will change.

I would welcome any suggestions for historic/scenic daytrips by train/car. Also, do you think trips to Krakow (Auschwitz), Florence or Prague are too ambitious?

I know that Krakow, Florence and Prague are not doable as day trips, but is it possible to fit any/or all of them into my 15 day itenerary.

Any advice will help. Did I mention we are on a budget.

ST

Old Jan 21st, 2008, 07:37 PM

Innsbruck is about an hour's drive from Garmisch. Hall in Tirol is just a few miles east of Innsbruck and has as much or more to offer in the way of an historic old town. Another couple of miles east of Hall is the town of Wattens and Swaravski's Crystal World which might be of interest to your daughter.

http://www.innsbruck-tourism.at/

http://www.austria-trips.com/Hall_in...allintirol.htm

http://kristallwelten.swarovski.com/...e/homepage.php

Mittenwald and Zugspitze would also made great day trips.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 07:53 PM

With regard to your other question, with 2 weeks, you could certainly spend some time in Krakow, Florence OR Prague. I would look into one of the cheap European flights (www.whichbudget.com).
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 08:17 PM

The Edelweiss features a different themed buffet supper every night, kind of fun and always good. You could shop in Garmisch, take the cable ride up the Zug, and return for dinner and chilling out. Partenkirschen has some old world restaurants where everyone is seated together at long tables, good for meeting interesting people. A daytrip to Salzburg offers shopping, maybe she could buy some Euro jeans and shoes. Would she care for a carriage ride up to Neuschwanstein castle?
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 10:04 PM

Florence has the charme that you do not necessarily have to fly, but can do it also by car (well, technically, you could also drive to Krakow or Prague, of course).
Flying from Munich to either two destinations is not cheap, though, since these legs are not served by low cost carriers.
By the way, from Garmisch, Innsbruck airport is easier and faster to reach than Munich.

With some exaggeration, you will lose almost "half a day" (when you also count prior arrival at airport, train to Munich, suburban train to the airport) to get to MUC airport, and another "half a day" to reach your final destination.

With a 16yo in tow, you could also check if Milan is not more her taste than Florence, though. But that's also an appr. 400km drive.

Besides the hundreds of miles of hiking paths, outdoor activities like renting (mountain) bikes, and the obvious daytrips to see the castles or Zugspitze mountain, there is also a rather big open air museum of Bavarian rural life (a "Museum village&quot, bit north of Garmisch at Glentleiten.

When you consider taking your daughter to a concentration camp, Dachau near Munich is easy to reach, also by train with a €27 day pass for up to 5 people for the Bavarian rail network of Deutsche Bahn.

I'd also second the prior suggestion of Svarowski's Kristallwelten.

I'd say that most people who go to Garmisch (or the Alps in general) in summer, go there to hike & chill (spas) -- so your daughter is not really that far off the mainstream ;-)
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:56 PM

I went to Garmisch last year and stayed at Edelwiess (US Military resort.) However the Best Western Obermuhle was a cute and inexpensive place that I stayed since I arrived one day before my miltary hotel was ready.

I rented a car and drove to Neuschwanstein Schloss, Linderhof, Ettal Monestary- where I drank beer with the monks, Obermmagau (the quaint little wood working place where they do the Passion Play every ten years.)

You can easily drive east from garmisch and hit Ettal, Linderhof and Obermmagau in one day. Neuschwanstein will take a whole day because it is huge and takes about 2-2.5 hours to drive there. There are many great things to see on the way back though. I took a day trip to Innsbruck, Austria and drove over the Alps to Brixien, Italy, stopping by a town that starts with an "M" but I can't remember the name- where the Nazi Gold was hidden. I also did a day trip to Dachau and a day trip to Berchtesgaden. Dachau was worth it, but Berchtesgaden was a long drive. If you do Berchtesgaden, do it overnight and stop by the Chiemsee, as you can see it from the autobahn and it is beautiful. Also, you can't miss the Zugspitze! It costs about 50 dollars to ride the cable car up, but it is so worth it. It was absolutely beautiful!! I then took an overnight train to Paris and spent four glorious days there as well.

I think my email address is posted with each of my threads so don't hesitate to email me if you need more info. I can get you some numbers to the US Base there, should you need assistance.
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:14 PM

Garmish is a beautiful town! The alps are right at you doorstep.

You can take the train inot Munich for the day, see the Lodwig castles that were already mentioned.
Take a tour of the Parnachklamm Gorge, Take a tour of Innsbruck, Hall im Tirol, visit Mittenwald.

that should get you started

John
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 08:21 AM

Just to clarify: Ettal and Oberammergau are more north of Garmisch and Linderhof more northwest than east.

The tour of Neuschwanstein Castle is timed and takes 35 minutes, though you will need time to get from the ticket center to the castle (about a 30-minute walk for most people, or you can take horse-drawn buggy or motor bus with a 5-10 minute walk at the end). You'll probably also want some time to look around; e.g., Marienbrucke (Mary's Bridge) area. You can easily see both Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau castles in a morning or an afternoon--especially if you buy your timed tickets online in advance.

It took us about an hour to drive the 35 or 40 miles to Hohenschwangau (where Neuschwanstein castle is located), not 2-1/2 hours--but this would vary by route, weather conditions, and driving style. If you did travel to Hohenschwangau via Ettal, Oberammergau, and Linderhof, then the driving time would increase to about 1-1/4 hours plus whatever amount of time you stop to see each place.
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 08:39 AM

Right at Garmisch-Partenkirchen, the "Klamm" hikes are great. I find the Höllental Klamm more exciting and adventurous than the Partnach Klamm:

http://www.allgaeu-ausfluege.de/klammhoelltal.htm

A short (15 minute) walk from the end, you will find the hut, where you can stop for refreshment. There is an alternate (higher) path for your return, if you don't wish to go through the gorge again. But we love to take the gorge route in both directions.

You can also hike or ride a lift up to the top of Wank, the mountain above the Partenkirchen side of town, and watch the paragliders take off. If you ride the lift up, there are nice nearly level walks on the mountaintop you can do. The restaurant up ther has a nice sun terrace for lunch.

Munich is a short (and inexpensive) train ride away and makes a good daytrip. The Deutsches Museum is fascinating---I could spend days there. There are a number of other very good museums for art and archeology in Munich.
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 08:45 AM
Brutforce

You'll probably have to 'connect' in Munich to go most places...but...places I would consider via train (besides Munich). Rothenburg, Innsbruck & Salzburg all come to mind. Of your other choices, I would choose Prague. Check on flights from MUC. It may actually be easier (& cheaper) to spend some time in Munich & day-trip from there, depending on your schedule.