Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Overnight in Lucerne before flying out of Zurich?

Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If catching a 10:30 AM flight from Zurich to US should we stay in Zurich or have time to travel by train from Lucerne?
THanks!
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 12:52 PM

I don't sleep well knowing that I must be up by 5:30 a.m. to get the train to get me into Zurich by 8:00 to check in for 10:30 flight, etc. We once got up at 3:30 in Marbella to catch a flight to Malaga to connect in Madrid -- yikes -- I did not sleep at all. But, no traffic to airport and return of rental car! But presumably it means one less hotel to check in and out of for you. Check the SBB website for times to Zurich and hopefully you're within quick walking distance to station in Lucerne. I'd pick a train no later than 6:30 a.m.; then you just walk upstairs to check in at airport from train station which is connected below. Good luck.
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for insight---think I wouldn't sleep well either.
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 02:16 PM

Ask your airline when you are supposed to be at check-in in ZRH.
If you are flying Swiss, 2hrs before departure should be enough (but pls check!).
Security and passport control works smoothly in Zurich. No comparison to the "zoos" you have elsewhere.
Check sbb.ch for connections.
I guess you'd need to take the IR train leaving Luzern at 7.10, arriving at ZRH at 8.13am
Could be more comfortable to spend the last night in Zurich...
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 02:38 PM

heck, I get nervous just getting to the airport when I stay in the city where it is located, if it's a big city. I would never stay in a completely different city that involved taking a train trip there given possible train scheduling problems or delays.

However, you can get a train from luzern direct to the airport, right? And it only takes about an hour, as I recall, as I took it the opposite direction. That isn't really much worse than worrying about big-city traffic. I would always be at an airport for an international flight 3 hrs ahead myself. But I do think the 7:10-8:13 is the most logical direct train. No way would I do that, but I worry about that kind of stuff. The earlier one leaves at 4:55 and gets there at 6:13.

Neither are the best times.
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 04:19 PM

It's only about an hour from Lucerne to the Zurich airport direct - so my only concern would by how early you have to get up and if you will reliably do this for the right check-in time.

I have done this many times from Basel when we had a morning flight from Zurich - but we were on a VERY early train - which was packed - as in holding luggage on your lap.
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 05:25 PM

There are numerous hotels near the Zurich airport. We always leave Lucerne (but we are driving) the day before our 12:55 flight on Swiss out of ZRH. In the past 8 or 9 years we have stayed at Holiday Inn express, Park Inn and Movenpick. Park Inn has rather strange shower facilities in the room. It's a round tube sort of configuration, and it feels like it is out in the middle of the room, so not very private! Other than that, they are OK. This hotel has a McDonald's on site. No free breakfast. Beds are like hospital beds in that you can raise the head and feet to various positions. Beds are twin sized.

Holiday Inn Express has somewhat nicer rooms and a good free breakfast. We started staying here when the place was brand new, and rooms were 89 Swiss francs. It was an excellent value. The price has risen steadily and no longer qualifies as a bargain IMO. But it is still a good choice near ZRH airport. Rooms are now closer to 200 francs. The bed is a king made up of two smaller beds together.

We have been staying at Movenpick for about 2 years now, and it is our favorite ZRH hotel. The breakfast is not included, and is expensive, so we make sure we have a pastry or yogurt or fresh fruit to eat in the morning, while packing to leave Zurich. Rooms are much nicer and have two queen beds (or a king). Two full sized beds in a room is rare in Europe! The Movenpick is more expensive than Holiday Inn Express or Park Inn, but we much prefer it for comfort.

A brand new hotel will be opening in March, and it is almost next door to the Movenpick. This new hotel is the Dorint. It would appear to be slightly more costly than the Movenpick, and we may decide to try it at some point. They may have grand opening special rates, but I have not seen anything in this regard yet.

All of the hotels I have mentioned have free shuttle service to and from Zurich airport. I would stay at anyone of these hotels before staying in Zurich city.

If you were to stay by the airport and you wanted to go into Zurich city for dinner orsight seeing, it is very east to do. Take the hotel shuttle to the airport and take the train into the city. Very easy!

We look forward to staying at Movenpick at the end of March.
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 05:57 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
The only time I'd stay at the airport is if a city/nice town was over two hours away and I had a fairly early morning flight.
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 06:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
check WWW.SBB.CH for train schedules from
Luzern Bahbhof to Zurich Flughafen.

The last time I took the train from Luzern to Zurich Flughafen it took about an hour and fifteen minutes.

I am pretty sure I took the 9:05 train and got to Zürich Flughafen about 10:20.

I flew Swiss and knew to go up two escalators to get to Departures because I have been to Switzerland many, many times.

Zürich Airport is efficient but you do have to get on the Moo Cow Train to get to your gate.

If you take a train from Luzern Bahnhof around 7-7:15 AM to Zürich Fluhafen, you will
have plenty
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 06:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
of time.

Tschuss,
Thin
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 08:41 AM

If you can count on a train being on time in any country, that country is Switzerland. However, I'm also not in favour of getting up in the middle of the night to get to an airport. Just not worth it in my opinion. Spend the night in Zurich.