Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Austrian Lakes and Salzburg- what do you think of this trip?

Old Apr 24th, 2006, 12:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all! I began my trips travelling solo and I came across what seems a very interesting trip: a week in Upper Austria, near Salzburg, Hallstat, visiting this region and staying in Weiregg. I am considering booking it for September. I was never in Austria so I am wondering if any of you who were in this region could tell me it is a good bet.
Thanks in advance

Teresa
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 02:49 AM

I assume you mean the village of Weyregg ( not Weiregg) Weyregg ia a small village on lake Attersee.

September is a good month to visit this beautiful area but you give little information about your tour.
No way that one can make a judgment good or bad.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 05:08 AM
ira

Hi T,

Good idea.

We need some details on your tour.

What accomodations?

What's included?

Costs?

I haven't yet found a tour that costs less than DIY for an equivalent visit.

Old Apr 24th, 2006, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Molker for your input and you're right, I should have put more details about this tour.
It's a tour from Travelsphere, flying from London to Munich and staying for 7 nights in Weyregg at the Gasthof Sonne in halfboard.
Included in the trip are :
- A full day tour to Salzburg
- A full Lakeland tour, visiting Mondsee and St. Wolfgang.
- A visit to Hallstatt
- A full day trip crossing the Danube into the Czec Rep. visiting the old town of Cesky Krumlov.

This trip will cost me almost 800 euros,flights included, which I don't find expensive.
I am only wondering if it's a nice trip and worth the money.
Thanks for your replies in advance.

Teresa
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Sorry Ira, I hadn't noticed you also posted but I already answered you in my previous post
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

topping
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 07:50 AM

On your way from Munchen to Salzburg, maybe you will want to stop on Herren island, to visit New palace (one of the king Ludwig II palaces) in Herrenchimsee.
It is a replica of Versailles, with a mirrorss hall larger than this in Versailles. The French garden is very nice, with a lot of statues and fountains.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 08:04 AM

I too think this trip could be easily done on your own, but the trip does sound fantastic. We loved this area, and I'm sure September would be a lovely time to visit. We stayed in Schonau, near Berchtesgaden and Salzburg (but on the Germany side) for a week and also drove to Cesky Krumlov for a day. Loved everything about the trip. C. Krumlov is neat and very worthwhile, and the lakes in the region are just stunning.

Tracy
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies

Tracy, do you really think I could make it on my own? I think for that I would have to rent a car to do all the tours that are included in the trip and I don't want drive, it's ok to travel alone but driving by myself in a different country is already too much for me, lol.

Old Apr 24th, 2006, 10:27 AM

The Sonne is a 3 star Gasthof-as described on an austrian hotel directory website- www. tiscover.at
As you descibe the tour- the price seems OK.
If you would arrive on your own- i would assume a per night cost of 50-60 euro half board would be a fair price for the Gasthof. The town is not big - nightlife limited.

Breakfasr would usually be a buffet. The evening meal 3-4 coures with a choice of main entrees ( perhaps 2-3) Although this may vary by hotel.
Lake Attersee is a beautiful area and September is a good time to visit- usually less tourists.Weather is normally still good.
I assume the tour includes all transfers such as that from airport to hotel and return.
For a first time visitor to this area who perhaps does not wish to drive - this is a good alternative.
Of course. the tour is only as good as the tour company. Assume this to be a UK based company- look to its reputation and if the clients are those that you would wish to travel with.
Also, a single traveler usually pays a single supplement . Is this included?

Arranged day tours can be very good as getting to some of the places you mention take several transfers by train to reach if traveling alone.
A tour saves this time and trouble.The places listed to visit are probably among the nicest in the area.

The only thing that matters - is that you be pleased with the tour.

Old Apr 24th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your helpful reply Molker. The price I put is already with the single supplement included, which is 75 GBP . I also have to add to that price the ticket from Lisbon to London and return, of course, so the trip will cost me around 1000 euros.
I checked Travelsphere and it looks like a nice reliable company based in the UK with many years already.
The trip looks gorgeous and , like you say, it saves me a lot of trouble getting in trains from one place to another if I do it on my own. Everything is included, the transfers, tours, flights from London to Munich and return.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 10:45 AM

Tere, we did the trip alone and had no problems at all, but I think it all really depends on your comfort level. We found the driving in the area to be very similar to driving in the U.S. The road system is terrific and the signs are easy to read. We even managed Czech without any problems. And as mentioned above, the guest houses in the area are all very inexpensive, especially for the quality most of them have.

That being said, I think the price of your tour sounds quite reasonable and if you are more comfortable going with a tour, I say go for it. You're sure to have a fantastic time either way.

Tracy
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 11:11 AM

I like it!
I am a big fan of that region and that will be a good time to see it. Have fun !
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all