Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   2 weeks in August (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/2-weeks-in-august-72288/)

M B May 16th, 2000 12:49 PM

2 weeks in August

I realize that August is a busy time in Portugal, but that's when we'll be headed there. We have our airline tickets, but are still planning the trip. We plan on spending approx. 3 days in Lisbon, 3 days in Seville and the rest of the time in the Algarve. My husband and I are in our thirties, like to see sights but also find a place to veg-out for a while in the sun. Any suggestions for an out-of-the-way place to soak up the rays, and get some peace and quiet?

frank May 17th, 2000 02:56 AM

You might consider Tavira, on the Algarve coast east of Faro.No beach at the (nice old) town, this keeps the hordes away, instead get a ferry (cost negligable) to the sansdspit where there are bars, campsites, even occasional tourist police! <BR>The sandspits (Ilahos) are busy in parts but easy to find private areas.Seaward side for Atlantic rollers/bars, landward side for small discreet nude beaches. <BR>Stay in campsite or in Tavira hotel. <BR>Town has quite good restaurants & good atmosphere, market.

Melissa May 17th, 2000 05:11 AM

Thank you, we had actually considered Tavira, and olhau ?sp?. Any other suggestions are appreciated...on places to stay(clean,reasonable)...

Melissa May 17th, 2000 05:16 AM

things to do, cool places eat, other places of interest. Also, our wedding anniversary falls in the middle of our trip (we'll be in the Algarve), we'd like to do something extra special and memorable...any ideas?

MB May 17th, 2000 07:19 AM

any suggestions are welcome

mb May 17th, 2000 09:04 AM

SP May 17th, 2000 09:17 AM

My parents are from Algarve and I used to go there for the summer during many years! They are actually from Olhão and I definitely recommend to stop there! It remains quite traditional and is a very calm little place to rest! You can take ferries to several tiny islands such as "Ilha do Farol" (my favorite)! As you go further towards the west in Algarve, please don't miss "Sagres"!!! You'll be amazed by the landscape of the "Cabo de São Vicente" (a cape)! Tavira is a very good suggestion as well (very close to Olhão)! If you want to avoid tourists, please avoid "Albufeira" and "Quarteira" in Algarve. Even though those towns are very charming, they are overpopulated with Tourists mainly from England, Germany and France! Unfortunately, I never had a chance to go to Lisbon, I'm anxious to hear your impressions! As for Sevilla in Spain, I never had a chance to go there either! However, I heard a lot of positive comments about it! <BR>Please keep me updated on your trip! <BR>Have fun!

mb May 17th, 2000 09:29 AM

Thank you SP. It sounds like we are on the right track. Any ideas on something or someplace memorable for our anniversary? <BR> <BR>Anyone else?

mb May 17th, 2000 10:53 AM

our wedding anniversary falls in the middle of our trip (we'll be in the Algarve), we'd like to do something extra special and memorable...any ideas? <BR>