Trains and luggage

Old Jan 9th, 2015, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trains and luggage

How is luggage handled on trains? We plan on 1rst class. Do you take your luggage to your seat? Or check it in like for airlines? We are taking a train from Venice to Florence, but want to make a stop for lunch along the way to see some WWII monuments... are there places to secure luggage at all train stations?

Thanks.
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 11:13 AM

You take your luggage with you. You are responsible for dragging it onto and off the trains. Make sure that if required, you can lift it onto an overhead rack. Sometimes there is space behind your seat to store it or at the end of the carriage. It varies a bit. Some stations have luggage storage, some don't. Where are you planning on stopping?
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 11:26 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>Sometimes there is space behind your seat to store it
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 11:29 AM

In first class there is more room for luggage because there are fewer people - about 25% less - riding in the same-size train car as 2nd class and IME of umpteen thousands of rides in first class there are usually empty seats that you can also put bags on - I usually find one near me - if putting luggage by doors keep an eye on them at stops when folks get on and off - but generally in first class you have no problem finding space in overhead racks, etc.

And yes there is virtually no checked luggage anymore - used to be but not now. Seems like you may be a train novice - check these sites for lots of ins and outs of European train travel: www.ricksteves.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.seat61.com.

At Italian train stations there is a luggage depot but only in major stations like you will be using probably - you pay per the first six hours per piece - there are no lockers TMK in use byut ony manually staffed luggage counters.
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 11:39 AM

Whatever you do store your luggage properly. Too many Americans - and I am afraid they are generally Americans - hog the train seat next to you as well as the one opposite as well as the floor space around them with their immense suitcases.
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 11:47 AM

Well yes when I say I put my luggage on an empty seat nearby me often if folks come on and there are no seats I certainly take it off - don't be a bad American.

But really all except regional trains that don't have seat reservations at all Italian train tickets come with an assigned seat and when the person for that seat comes it is there's - luggage or no luggage on it.
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 11:47 AM

And don't let anyone "help" you get your bags up the stairs and onto the train. They are NOT train personnel and will come looking for money once they put bags on the train. And they will be persistent, 5 euros won't be sufficient. Don't ask my husband how HE knows this; despite my warning. I of course was p.o'd and was sure the guys would take the bag back off the train if he didn't give them more money.
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 12:18 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You handle your own luggage. You do not "check it in". Some train stations have lockers or a left-luggage, some don't.
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 01:39 PM

>>>Some train stations have lockers or a left-luggage, some don't.
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 01:49 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You take - you schlepp it.

And don't put your bags on an empty seat. It just causes hassle when other passengers are in the aisle trying to sit there.

Small bags go behind your seat or in the overhead racks, large bags go in racks at the end of the car.
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 02:56 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
As you read here, do not take large suitcases if you're planning on using trains.
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 03:06 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
People are giving a good reminder. For train travel, one small suitcase on wheels really works best. (You'll thank us later, haha).
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 04:41 PM

Also note that you need to be ready to depart the train as soon as it arrives - with your luggage at the train door. If you wait until the train pulls in to get out of your seats you will be fighting the people trying to get on and will make a nonsense and delay everyone.
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 04:47 PM

If you wait til the train pulls in, it will pull out with you still on board; they don't stay long in a station.
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 09:13 PM

Which WW2 monuments do you want to see?
Old Jan 10th, 2015, 03:01 AM

I've never been in a first class intercity car in Italy that wasn't pretty fully booked. All seats are reserved. There were no empty seats on which to put luggage. I have always had to leave it at the end of the car or put it into the overhead or very occasionally behind the seat, but these spaces are almost never available if you join the train en route, only at its originating terminal..

On regional or local trains, hope for a pair of facing seats with your luggage on the floor between you.

Critical point from nytraveler and Deb: when the train rolls into the station, be standing in the vestibule with all your stuff. It may well stop for 1 minute. You don't have time to schlep your stuff after it stops.

As Cathies says, you will lift your own bags up three steps onto the train. Carry your bags up three steps at home. If you can't do it, repack. Ditto with lifting your smaller bag overhead. I haven't seen lots of people leaping up to help the short or elderly. My fellow passengers on Frecciarossa trains have usually been business women and men, fully occupied with their laptops.
Old Jan 10th, 2015, 03:41 AM

I've had to do trains many times with too much luggage (don't ask!). All the advice so far is great. My recommendation is do the research to figure out where your car will be located when the train pulls in, but be prepared to move (very!) quickly if it's not what you expect. If you have more than one person (sounds like you do) send one person onto the train to receive larger bags that the second person hands up. Everyone be responsible for their own small bags that ideally should be strapped onto your body (cross body purse or backpack computer bag, etc.). Don't worry about stowing anything until everyone and all the bags are on the train, then you can sort it out.
Old Jan 10th, 2015, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all!!
Old Jan 10th, 2015, 05:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Some of those trains ALSO have luggage racks in the middle of the First Class cars.

My advice would be to get to the platform BEFORE as in at least 15 minutes the train is scheduled to depart so you can be one of the first people to board. Since you are leaving from Venice (and assuming Santa Lucia) that means you will be boarding at an origination station which makes things easier.

There will almost undoubtedly be plenty of other people hauling what some here would say is "too much" luggage on board; it happens ALL the time. Take as much luggage as you want but as everyone else has said, you get to handle it.

And please, don't do the "lady in distress" number on any of the potential make beasts of burden, OK? It makes you look kinda selfish and that's being charitable about it.
Old Jan 10th, 2015, 08:40 AM

>>>Some of those trains ALSO have luggage racks in the middle of the First Class cars.>>Since you are leaving from Venice (and assuming Santa Lucia) that means you will be boarding at an origination station which makes things easier.>>If you wait til the train pulls in, it will pull out with you still on board; they don't stay long in a station.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -