Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   2 week Spain/France trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/2-week-spain-france-trip-1082868/)

Jsteph274 Jan 4th, 2016 11:26 AM

2 week Spain/France trip

Hello everyone,

So my girlfriend and I are headed for a trip in Europe, both of our first times (we are both mid 20's). We land in Madrid (August 17), and fly out of Paris 14 day later (August 31). I planned on doing 3 nights in Madrid, 5 nights in Barcelona, and then 5 nights in Paris. I may switch some of the nights around as well. I am trying to see museum's and historically relevant place while also exploring some nightlife. I really enjoy the architecture of the area that I have seen as well. We will probably do a day trip to Versailles or something while in Paris but I am not 100% sure. At the end of the trip I plan on proposing in Paris, so I am trying to make it pretty special. I got the flights paid for with miles, and so I have a decent budget to spend ($4-$6K or so). I also plan on using my Hilton points to pay for 70% of our hotel stays so there is money to be spent. Any helpful tips, and places to go (including a nice proposal spot in Paris!) would be appreciated. I am thinking like an Eiffel Tower type of thing but maybe there are better place I don't know of.

Thanks for your help,

John

PalenQ Jan 4th, 2016 12:17 PM

Versailles'parks and gardens could make a sweet proposal spot too. You taking the train between Madrid and Barcelona? If so go to www.renfe.com - spanish Railways site to score deep discounted fares if you book far enough in advance to get those limited in number discounted ducats. Ditto for Barcelona to Paris by high-speed train - check www.voyages-sncf.com for that - rather than flying see the countryside of France in between and a lovely town to stop off in for a day would be Avignon - one of the nicest oldest cities in France and at the heart of Provence - Barcelona to Paris trains go right thru it- experience one smaller town - you'll love it.

For general info on trains check www.seat61.com - good info on discounted tickets; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com. There is also an overnight train connection Barcelona to Paris that entails a day train to Perpignon where you switch to a night train to Paris - couchettes available - berths with pillow, blanket, etc. check sites I give above for night train info- save day time travel time and the cost of a night in a hotel.

Lexma90 Jan 4th, 2016 01:57 PM

Think about a proposal at the end of your trip. You may be somewhat distracted on your trip up to that point, thinking of your plans. Will you have the ring with you? What safe, secure place can you hide it without your GF seeing it? Perhaps a proposal near the beginning of the trip - then you and she can enjoy the rest of your vacation, discussing wedding ideas and the lovely years you have ahead of you as a couple.

Note that vacations at that time of year, in those locations (especially Spain) are likely to be quite warm (hot). And in France, at least, the French will be on vacation. Sight-seeing spots should still be open, but some restaurants will not be.

kja Jan 4th, 2016 04:14 PM

"I planned on doing 3 nights in Madrid... I am trying to see museum's"

If museums are of interest to you, then you might want at least one more night in Madrid -- it can easily take 3 full days just to see the highlights of that city's major art museums. I, personally, would take the night from Barcelona, but that's just me. (Nothing against Barcelona, which I loved -- just my preference.)

"We will probably do a day trip to Versailles"

FWIW, I did not like Versailles -- I found it repulsively ostentatious. Of course, other people love it....