Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

2 week Scotland Trip ...want to make sure all my ducks are in a row :)

May 26th, 2019, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

We are leaving on the 4th for 2 weeks and am nervous as always Traveling with my husband and 3 girls that are 18, 14 and 12. We have 14 nights and already have accommodations so they cant be changed

just want to make sure Iím not forgetting something or overlooking! Any suggestions on things not to miss are greatly appreciated!!!

fly into Glasgow and rent a car (we have rented in the U.K. before..coming from the US)

staying at a farm outside of Stirling for 4 nights
reserved falconry and alpaca trekking so far. Plan on zip lining and seeing Stirling castle (Doune also?) and shopping in stirling

leaving there and taking the Jacobite train one way (my husband is not taking the train but driving to Maillag to meet us) Taking the ferry to Skye (booked the ferry already) Staying 4 nights in Skye. Booked a boat ride to see puffins but nothing else planned (going to do a lot of walks and hikes weather depending)

Leave Skye and stop to take a boat ride on Loch Ness (My husband canít leave Scotland without doing that &#128580 on our way to Straloch Estate for 4 nights (near Pitlochry) Lots of things to do onsite but will also go to the dam and Scone palace. My oldest wants to bungee jump nearby as well 😳. Unsure of other things (have a list....hikes and such) Anything not to miss in that area?

last 2 nights are in Edinburgh (stopping at the zoo on our way in to the city) Will do a Harry Potter walk and some shopping Then off to Glasgow airport!

Amy input or thoughts are appreciated (well maybe it negative ones lol!)
May 26th, 2019, 04:14 PM

>>fly into Glasgow and rent a car (we have rented in the U.K. before..coming from the US)<<

Stirling isn't all that far but driving right off an over night flight can be a big problem. I know you say none of your accommodations can be changed but unless you've pre-paid non-refundable most any booking can be changed. If possible I'd stay no farther from GLA than maybe the south end of Loch Lomond

>> seeing Stirling castle (Doune also?) <<

Yes, Doune for sure. And even more so -- Inchmahome Priory.

>>my husband is not taking the train but driving to Maillag to meet us<<

That's a great solution. That's about the only way the Jacobite would work for most visitors trying to get to Skye

>>Anything not to miss in that area?<<

Dunkeld/Cathedral.
May 26th, 2019, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

When we flew into Rome we had a 5 hour drive to our first stay (delta had canceled our flight from Milan so had to switch airports) It’s only a 45 min trip this time (as per our hosts) which is doable. We will be stopping to eat and to the grocery store as well on the way there That 5 hour trip was awful!!!

I will put inchmahome Priory and the cathedral on the list...thanks!!!
May 26th, 2019, 04:50 PM

Just take it really easy - It isn't the jet lag as such, but the 'micro sleeps' that one doesn't even know they are experiencing. That combined with the other side of the road etc -- just be really careful.

At Doune see if you can borrow the coconut shells (Terry Jones narrates the audio guide )

Curious - where is the farm? I've spent a lot of time in the area and know most nooks and crannies

Does your accommodations in Edinburgh provide parking?
May 26th, 2019, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Yes we are staying at Old Leckie Farm And yes to the parking...it limited our choices but was a must for us!
May 26th, 2019, 07:13 PM

I know exactly where that is -- just down the road from Kippen. You'll be just a short drive from both Doune and Inchmahome/Port of Menteith.

Not sure if this fits in your 'image of Scotland' but about 5 miles down the B8075 from the farm is the Blair Drummond Safari Park which is only about 4 miles from Doune Castle https://www.blairdrummond.com