Notices

2 Week Honeymoon in France

Mar 19th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

2 Week Honeymoon in France

Hello!

I am searching for some advice on an itinerary for my honeymoon from 6/21-7/7 in France. Our first week in France will be spent with my fiance's family in Aix-en-Provence, as we are tagging along on a family vacation in hopes of saving some money

The family vacation ends on 6/30, which is a Saturday. A family member has generously offered to treat us to a stay in Lirac for 3 nights. We are planning on renting a car and driving from Aix to Lirac and spending the 3 days at a B&B there. We are considering spending 1-2 nights in a chateau (recommendations are welcome) in the Loire Valley or just heading to Paris and spending the rest of our trip (Tues-Saturday) there. I am curious to know the following:

1. What is there to do in Lirac? Suggestions for sights, food, activities, etc. would be wonderful.
2. Is it worth it to drive to the Loire Valley to spend 1-2 nights before going to Paris or should that be a different trip so we could spend the most time enjoying Paris?
2a. If the Loire Valley should be included...any recommendations for Chateau? Food? Sights?
3. Ahhh, Paris...would love any and all suggestions. Hotels, restaurants, shops, sights, etc.

I hope this isn't too broad and I really look forward to reading your suggestions. Many thanks in advance for any assistance offered! We just want to make the most of our honeymoon and enjoy France

Thanks again!!
Mar 19th, 2012, 07:24 PM

Five days is certainly not too much for Paris - I would consider is the minimum for a first visit. For suggestions for hotels you will need to give a budget - specific - in euros or $.

The Loire is certinly worthwhile - we spent 6 days there and still have a ton of things we want to see. But that was in conjunction with 3 days in Paris (my8th visit and his 5th). One night in the Loire won;t give you time to see much - I think you need to do 2 at least. We stayed at the Chateau des Reaux near Chinon - which was lovely and had charming hosts - and was modestly priced.
Mar 19th, 2012, 07:49 PM

I think staying in Paris after Lirac is a good idea. But then, I think Paris is always a good idea. We have been going every other year for the last 12 years, and it isn't enough for me.

Hotels: price range, please?

Many of us stay in apartments in Paris, and you can find endless recommendations on the Paris apartments thread, but there are also Left and Right Bank Hotel threads.

If you are staying 5 nights in Paris, you can easily get an apartment.

Search this Thread