2 week France itinerary with kids

Feb 8th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

2 week France itinerary with kids

We will be arriving in Paris early and taking the TGV to Avignon the first day. We will then spend one week near St Remy with a rental car and tour around the region. We then have 3 days to fill in before we head back to Paris for the last 3 nights. We are considering heading to Carcassonne since we think the kids (ages 5 and 7) would love to see a neat midevil castle, like the ones in their books. If we do, would you recommend driving with our rental car or taking the train from Avignon? Is there anything else to do there or along the way? Thank you so much!
Feb 8th, 2009, 06:02 PM

If I were staying in St. Remy, I would visit Les Baux. I have seen both Les Baux and Carcassonne and I think your children would like both BUT I would go to both- one or the other. If you should choose Carcassone, there are many things the children might enjoy between St. Remy and Carcassonne, but I think I might have them see Les Baux and do domething that might make a bit more geographic sense if you wish to drop your car in Avignon though there isnt usually high cost in picking up a car in 1 city and dropping it in another if the cities are within the same country.
Feb 8th, 2009, 06:03 PM

whoops..should read I would not go to both just one or the other
Feb 8th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

We definately want to visit Les Baux but it looks like it is a fairly easy day trip from St Remy so we thought we could do that during the week we are staying there. If we did Carcassonne, would you recommend driving there instead of taking the train? Sounds like a car isn't really necessary in Carcassonne anyhow.
Feb 8th, 2009, 08:40 PM

..I know that the drive one way to Carcassonne is a good 4 hours of solid driving and as you dont know your way count on more.
Feb 9th, 2009, 04:07 AM

Hi heidikona; With seven days, I would see all the wonderfull cities/towns in the St. Remy area, including Les Baux. However, the approach to Carcassonne will excite 5 and 7 year olds. Go to Carcassonne. The travel time on the motorways is only 2 1/2 hours and an easy drive. If you stayed inside the walls, that would be special for the kids. Usually, staying inside the walls, your hotel has a van outside the walls and will take you to the hotel. Will also park your car. If you did stay three days, there is much to see in southern France, with a car, within easy reach of Carcassonne. Then you could drop the car in Toulouse [one hour from Carcassonne] and take the train back to Paris. ENJOY Iris
Feb 9th, 2009, 04:23 AM

4 hours Avignon to Carcassonne? Via autoroute, it's 238 KM so about 2 1/2 hours.

We were there last summer for the second time and enjoyed it. Our hotel was just a few hundred feet from the Cite. Also in the area and
worth a look are Foix, Mirepoix and
Mont Segur... the kids can sure get a good dose of castles!

Rob