Looking for a REAL Swiss Village.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2014, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for a really old-world Swiss village to stay in for a few days. It will be during snow season, so obviously I don't want to be too far from some good ski slopes. However, I also want to be near some Grade-A cheese and chocolates and maybe some yodeling. I want to be submerged in culture up to my neck... any ideas?
Old Dec 12th, 2014, 09:54 AM

Hi Cmf512,

Saanen
Rougemont
Chateau d'Oex
Zweisimmen
Zuoz
Scuol

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Dec 12th, 2014, 09:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh, please, by all means get yourself to Zermatt. Why? Well, it is IN Switzerland so how could it not be "genuine?" It has everything Switzerland wants to be known for: EXPENSIVE Swiss timepieces for sale, snow, snow, snow, at least one rather famous (and unless they've moved it completely into Italy() and fully genuine mountain peak, that man they hire to herd the sheep or goats through the center of the village, genuine DEAD mountain climbers in the cemetery, and a bunch of electric vehicles made in Japan!
Old Dec 12th, 2014, 01:08 PM

It seems to me that Swiss culture varies by the proximity to the neighbors---Germany, France and Italy.
Old Dec 12th, 2014, 02:38 PM

Hilarous. Do you think they keep some Swiss villages in time capsules? Every Swiss village and resident is as modern and up to date as any village in your home country whatever that might be. I'd like to hear where you are from actually. Maybe it is a 'real old-world village' people could visit in your country.

As for being in culture 'up to your neck' try an agritourismo stay at a dairy farm perhaps. The farmer could probably get you up to your neck in something.
Old Dec 12th, 2014, 04:08 PM

Um, you're going in winter - so Heidi and the cows will be indoors and the wild-flower starred meadows will be covered with white stuff.

And you can find cheese and chocolate in every single town in Switz.

If you want to see what Switz USED to be like you might want to go to the Ballenberg museum of Swiss Life - but not sure what days/hours it is open in the winter.
Old Dec 12th, 2014, 08:55 PM
Original Poster

I meant no offense...just something off the beaten path of tourists and really interesting. Haha and I'm actually from Texas and people have their stereotypes about us too BUT there are places in Texas where you can stay on a dude ranch and live like a cowboy and go on trail rides, go to saloons...etc. Haha who knows maybe Texans are just weird
Old Dec 12th, 2014, 09:04 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Cmf512, don't apologize.

Many of the people on this board just live to make insulting and snide remarks. They need to get a life!
Old Dec 12th, 2014, 09:31 PM

Hi Cmf512,

I personally don't think that Zermatt fits what you want . . . at all. It is truly overcrowded with buildings and people. There's not much territory there because it's at the end of a valley, but they keep building chalets and chalets and chalets. The result is a kind of hodge-podge of buildings jammed in together, and it makes me feel claustrophobic. And the people -- yes, crowds of folks on the streets. The shopping is pretty upscale. I really don't think it could be called "old-world" by any stretch.

s
Old Dec 12th, 2014, 11:36 PM

Swandav gave the best suggestions, IMO. Maybe add Appenzell to that list, except for the ski slopes part. Plenty of snow, though.
Old Dec 13th, 2014, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Yes in was reading about Appenzell and it sounds great! Thanks!
Old Dec 13th, 2014, 07:25 AM

There is no equivalent to a 'dude ranch' in Switzerland. That kind of nonsense is not tolerated in Switzerland. Those who know Switzerland will understand what I mean when I write 'tolerated'. The Swiss do not tolerate nonsense as a general rule.

The closest thing would be as I have already suggested an 'agriturismo' stay somewhere.
https://www.google.ca/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=...mo+switzerland
Old Dec 13th, 2014, 07:58 AM

Well, farmstays in Switzerland, Germany or Austria come in all shades.

There are "working farms" which rent rooms but otherwise keep everything business as usual with hardly any extra gimmicks or activities for the visitors but to join the work - from milking (or driving) the cows to preparing the meals in the farmhouse kitchen.
And there are "dude farms" which offer a multitude of activities from pony rides for the kids to all terrain segways excursions and can have many no typically farm-style amenities like jacuzzis, sauna and such.

In winter, working farms come pretty much to a rest. The cows have to be milked and fed (and cleaned up after). But otherwise it's mostly some indoor activities like minor repairs of equipment. So there is not exactly that much exciting stuff to do for visitor - compared with spring to fall.

The small towns and villages that swandav and WeisserTee mentioned would give you a good dose of "swissness", though, with enough restaurants and pubs without the artificial Alpine mass tourism you find in Zermatt or in many places of the Berner Oberland.
Old Dec 13th, 2014, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

I'm not looking for a dude ranch. I'm just looking for something other than a tourist trap like Zermatt. I was just giving an example of something we have here. And don't knock it till you try it. Spending multiple days on horseback with a cowboy guide is a good time. It makes for great stories, good company, and gives you a lot of insight on a dying breed that still exists in some parts of our state and country and makes a living off of this cowboy "nonsense". It is also a chance to surround yourself by miles and miles of countryside.
Old Dec 13th, 2014, 08:11 AM

P.S.
If you are still interesting in staying on a farm in Switzerland you should take a look at the official Swiss TI's website at farm.myswitzerland.com

If you want to search locally after you decided on a specific region or canton you want to stay in, you will get more results to search Google in the respective language:
"Ferien auf dem Bauernhof" for German-speaking parts of Switzerland,
"Vacances à la ferme" for the Romandie/ Western Switzerland -
or the English phrase farmstay or holidays on a farm.
"Agriturismo" will give you only good results in Ticino - the only Italian-speaking part of Switzerland.
Plus the name of the respective canton or region, obviously.
In the Rumantsch-speaking parts, try any of the other languages. As that language is spoken by hardly anyone else, I would not know of any tourist-oriented website that was not translated into German, English or French.
Old Dec 13th, 2014, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Feeding, milking the cows, and participating in chores, however does sound like something I would enjoy.
Old Dec 13th, 2014, 08:23 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
>>>Those who know Switzerland will understand what I mean when I write 'tolerated'. The Swiss do not tolerate nonsense as a general rule.<<<

I confess to not "knowing" Switzerland, other than as a tourist many years ago (and as the sil to a Zurich born-and-bred woman who has lived in the USA since she was 20, but returns to visit her family at least twice a year), so I would like to know what you mean. The way you've written it, you make the Swiss sound a bit rigid, if not an outright drag to be around.
Old Dec 13th, 2014, 08:28 AM

Trust me from my juvenile experience - these chores are not even that much fun in summer.
But at least you'd already have sunlight at 5 or 6 (depending on how the cows are "conditioned").
In winter you'd do that work while it was still pitch dark outside (and not exactly warm inside the cow barn). Milking is done by machines, so you'd have to grease up the udders, apply the suction thingeys and wait. It's more like factory work - even in smaller farms these days. Nothing excessively romantic.
While you were exposed to the smell of the droppings and farts of 50 cows - on your empty stomach. And shower again afterwards again because you will stink...
It sounds better in stories than in real life.. but it is somewhat of an experience.
Old Dec 13th, 2014, 08:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
"That kind of nonsense is not tolerated in Switzerland"

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Locatio...wiss_Alps.html

http://farm.myswitzerland.com/on-the...mony%22-340672

Hay flower baths and saunas are amongst the nonsense these "dull" people can offer
Old Dec 13th, 2014, 03:11 PM

"dude ranches" aren't "nonsense", in fact. I've been to one for a week in Durango, CO which was just a relaxing trip spent at a place in the hill/mountains where you stayed in cabins, had great homecooked meals at night, sat on the porch with great views reading, and could ride as much as you wanted. There was nothing "nonsenscical" about it, it was very nice and the owners were very serious about horses, and riding. The name maybe makes them sounds silly but it's just a week in the country where you can ride all you want for people who don't live on ranches, that's all.

Saw lots of things just as nonsensical in Switzlerland, such as in Lucerne where they have those boats that take you on trips, that train with fancy decorated cars, and in Verbier, a ski resort.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -