Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   2 Star Hotels - Are they scarey? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/2-star-hotels-are-they-scarey-309939/)

ann_budci Apr 23rd, 2003 10:18 AM

2 Star Hotels - Are they scarey?

Hi all -<BR><BR>I'm looking for a hotel in Rome this May. I would like to spend no more than 150E a night. All I can find for that price is 2 star hotels. Has anybody stayed at a 2 star that they actually liked and thought was clean? All I can picture is the Bates Hotel...

Alice_Twain Apr 23rd, 2003 10:32 AM

Usually 2 star hotels are decent enough. Unlike the 1 star hotels, that are quite a mixed bunch qwith decent places and quite depressing places, two stars are usually very simple and basics but all rooms must have a private bathroom and similar stuff. Usually the best coice if you decide for staying on the cheap side but have not seen the place before arriving.

cruelbee Apr 23rd, 2003 10:33 AM

Alot of the restrooms are down the hall in two stars, so Norman may be using the same shower (hopefully at a different time, lol).<BR><BR>The hotels vary, the stars just mean what they have to offer, not cleanliness. You have to rely on word of mouth for cleanliness and attitudes, etc.<BR><BR>

suze Apr 23rd, 2003 11:38 AM

As mentioned, the 'star' rating system reflect certain physical attributes of a hotel (do they have an elevator, for example). It in no way measures cleanliness.

I'd suggest you post again and simply ask for recommendations for a good hotel in Rome for under 150E. And take it from there.

Plus your question is really impossible to answer... because what is 'scary' for some, may be simply a normal budget hotel for others.

Kate_W Apr 23rd, 2003 01:01 PM

Two suggestions. The first is have a look at the book &quot;Cheap Sleeps in Italy&quot;, which has very detailed descriptions of inexpensive hotels (often room-by-room descriptions of the smaller ones). I've found the &quot;Cheap Sleeps&quot; series to be reliable (although my tastes don't always coincide with the author's, I've never had a bad surprise). Then make a reservation (of the type that you can cancel without having to pay a fee). (Note that &quot;Cheap Sleeps in Europe&quot; doesn't give detailed descriptions.)

Two - Then check out &quot;cheaprooms.com&quot; and other discount hotel services (eg Laterooms, etc), because you might find a last minute deal (usually on the larger hotels, and chain hotels). I would be reluctant to make a booking with one of these organizations too far in advance, since they charge you in advance (and may charge you to cancel, or the reservation might be non-cancellable).

Zoe Apr 23rd, 2003 01:23 PM

We stayed in one star hotels in Rome, Florence, Venice in 2001. Our criteria is cleanliness, safety and location and all met these requirements. Cost is of greater concern to me than luxury. No elevator, carpet or tv, shared bathroom is down the hall but all had a sink in the rooms. The biggest nuisance is lugging your suitcase up all those stairs! Hope this helps.

LJ Apr 23rd, 2003 01:35 PM

Quite by accident (i.e. we didn't check out the number of stars in advance) we stayed at a two star hotel in Rome last year for just under 140E per night.

It had an elevator, nice outdoor/indoor bar/breakfast room on the roof, clean though dull furnishings, with TV (no CNN or BBC, though, all Italian) and private, quite spacious bathroom with tub and shower enclosure. It was a 2 star, I think, because of locale, in this case very near Termini which is considered, by some, dicey. It worked for us then and would again and we would recommend the Hotel Columbia to others who aren't allergic to the neighbourhood.

However, I would suggest you check out the individual room before final acceptance at check-in time at 2 stars. We did speak to other guests, paying the same, who got much less spacious accomodation, squishy pint-sized bathroom, no tub and no TV.

nocinonut Apr 23rd, 2003 01:38 PM

Ha, Cruelbee, I like the idea of using the shower after Norman, maybe he would leave his rubber ducky for me! Now Mother would be a different story!

Lesli Apr 23rd, 2003 01:40 PM

Just noticed you said you're looking for accommodations for THIS May, as in a couple of weeks from now.... Suggest you do a search by dates on venere.com and book something quickly! (You can text search here for feedback re specific hotels that you're considering.)

Well-located hotels in Rome that are within your price range and receive good feeback here include the Hotel Navona, Hotel Primavera, and Residenza San Pantaleo. All are small and are usually booked well in advance.

Buona fortuna!

SaraL Apr 23rd, 2003 02:03 PM

Have you tried www.itwg.com we booked through them last November, they had lots of hotels. We stayed at a 2 star North west of the Termini called the Baltic Hotel it was spotlessly clean, private facilites and included breakfast. It was 65 Euros (off season)

uncle_sam Apr 23rd, 2003 02:48 PM

Of course they are not scary, we stay in them all the time!

Grande Hotel Leveque on Rue Cler in Paris is a perfect example of a ** hotel. Nice clean rooms, clean bathroom ensuite, decent breakfast and friendly staff.

No ballroom, no restaurant and no ridiculous prices for the room either...btw, you're only going to be there to sleep, clean up and change clothes anyway...why pay for the ballroom and the busines meeting rooms when youy don't use them?

US

capo Apr 23rd, 2003 03:14 PM

Two star hotels are never clean. In fact, the last two star hotel I stayed in had just a big pile of dirt for a bed and a mud bath.

Bootman4U Apr 23rd, 2003 03:34 PM

Capo: that's only because they KNEW you are Italian!

RufusTFirefly Apr 23rd, 2003 04:04 PM

We almost always stay in no star, one star, and two star places. But we do a lot of research first. As pointed out above, stars are not awarded for location, good service, cleanliness, views, etc. Things like conference rooms, restaurants, a formal lobby, valet parking, a swimming pool, etc. get hotels additional stars. If you don't need these items, why pay extra?

Christina Apr 23rd, 2003 04:24 PM

I think one star hotels could be scary, two stars maybe just not so nice, but they vary. I don't agree that it's mainly an issue of ballrooms, restaurants, business rooms, etc; that is really exaggerating as 3* hotels don't have those either. I care a lot about my surroudings and where I sleep and shower, I just don't like staying in dumps or places that are crude and ugly and remind me of college dorms or worse. I find a nice hotel to contribute a lot to the general enjoyment and pleasure of a trip. They can make things a lot more comfortable and pleasant. In my experience, on average, 2* hotels have smaller rooms, cheaper furniture and less nice decor; mattresses and other things may be worn, stuff like that. A lot more &quot;basic&quot; as the euphemism goes.

Jim_Tardio Apr 23rd, 2003 04:37 PM

I've stayed in some 2 star places that where nicer than 4 star ones.

Mainly, they were smaller, better located, friendly and more helpful. From what I understand, more stars is a reflection of more services...not cleanliness.

And by services I mean elevators, mini-bars, air conditioning, internet connections, etc.

Most 2 star places have small, clean rooms with bathrooms...but you may have to walk up a few flights of stairs to get to your room.

Research is the key. There are lots of great, inexpensive hotels.

lweber Apr 23rd, 2003 05:22 PM

I am not sure about Italy, but in several European countries stars are awarded not on the basis of cleanliness, comfort, and hospitality but rather simply on the existance or absence of a specific set of amenites. For example, if you have a pool, [even if it is green with algae], you get extra credit. If you have a banquet room, [even if overrun by vermin], you get extra credit.

Bottom line: Don't assume that the star system in Europe convey the same confidence that you may get from it here in the US. Many 2 star hotels are super clean, very comfortable, and very hospitable. As noted earlier: Go at it on a case by case basis.

RufusTFirefly Apr 23rd, 2003 05:31 PM

It depends on the particular 2 star hotel. Many are very, very nice. I have stayed in no star pensions that had large rooms, modern bathrooms, and excellent decor. Room size and decor have little or nothing (depending on the country) to do with stars. Are you more likely to get a larger, nicer room in a 3 star than in a 1 star? Yes, but it is not a rule. Again, research is the key.

chrisp Apr 23rd, 2003 05:40 PM

Dont be afraid to use Priceline. Learn more by looking up bidding for travel on google and checking out the various sites.

kismetchimera Apr 23rd, 2003 06:39 PM

ann_budci, When I go to Rome i always stay at the Hotel Parlamento..Frommers highly recommend it... Is off Via del Corso, excellent location, walking distance to all the major sights, Trevi Fountain, Roman Forum, Pantheon, etc.., I super clean, decent, modern bathroom etc..,the e-mail is
[email protected],
kismet