Reload this Page >

Tell me everything about SEVILLE Spain.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 06:46 PM
richardab

I am planning a trip to Seville. Please share your experiences! Hotels, restaurants, sights, shopping, day trips, etc....

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 07:08 PM
julie

A lovely city: watch your pocketbook.!!

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 10:19 PM
richardab

I don't carry a pocketbook.

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 12:36 AM
julie

Rich, I spent a week in Seville this June. Loved it! Here are my recommendations <BR>Expensive Hotel: Alphonso xlll <BR>Medium, central hotel: Los Seises <BR> <BR>A genuine flamenco bar, open till 4am: La Carbonera on Levies Street. <BR> <BR>Go to The Macerena section and visit a convent and buy marmalade from them. (can't remember name of convent) <BR> <BR>There's a central shopping area with a warren of streets filled with lovely shops. <BR> <BR>Take a day trip to Ithaca -- one of the best preserved Roman towns in the world. (only 5 miles away) <BR>Also,the Roman town of Carmona is a good day trip. If you go there, go to the hill top parador for a drink and a stunning view of the countryside. <BR> <BR>Have fino (sherry) at a tapas bar to start the evening. <BR> <BR>The bull ring is a 'must see'. <BR>As is, obviously, the cathedreal and the not-to-be-missed Alcazar. This is Seville's answer to the Alhambra, and you can spend a whole day there. Gorgeous. <BR> <BR>Finally, get some sleep in the late afternoon so you can take advantage of the late night culture! <BR> <BR>Hope you have as good a time as we did. It's a lovely, friendly city.

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 03:08 AM
Julie

Don Alfonso and Los Seises are my preferred hotels as well. Very hard to find Los Seises if you're driving, though. It's a lovely hotel, a restored palace practially in the shadows of the cathedral with some rooms having views of the Giralda tower. Has a breakfast room with frescoed ceiling. The cathedral is the largest Gothic cathedral and the 3rd largest church in Christendom--after St. Peter's in Rome and St. Paul's in London. It's very ornate. I like the Pavillion de Espana from the 1929 World Fair. Take a carriage ride to it and it's surrounding park. Alcazar is fabulous with very relaxing gardens. Barrio Santa Cruz is the most fun, lots of narrow streets with little shops and great bars with painted tiles and hams hanging from the ceilings. Another good hotel is the San Gill. Our friends stayed there. Had two story room with downstairs sitting area and upstairs bedroom. Nice pool. A bit further from the action but only a hosrt cab ride to area by cathedral. Probably a little less expensive than Los Seises. Seville and Barcelona are my two favorite cities in Spain, very different but both very fun. Enjoy

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 11:53 AM

to the top

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 01:18 PM
Hadrian

Richardab: If you like Roman ruins by all means visit the place of my birth, Italica, not Ithica. Take the bus to Santaponce and get off at the ruins. Restaurant across the street if you'd like lunch before touring the site. Not much there compared to other sites, but very nice mosaics and a great arena. <BR> <BR>You might also enjoy a river cruise on the Guadalquivir. <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 05:09 PM
Erica

Sevilla is wonderful! Flowering trees everwhere, full of history and charm. We stayed at Dona Maria Hotel, right on the central square with breathtaking view of the Giralda at night. The city is very compact and can easily be toured on foot so take in as much as you can! We loved the Casa de Pilatos - off the beaten path, beautiful and serene gardens. Plaza de Espana is magnificent. The Alcazar is also interesting. Bullfights are on Sundays only (at least when we were there.) We enjoyed nice dinners at Enrique Bercerra, Casa Robles and Rio Grande (on the river - great view of the Torre d'Oro.) Enjoy!

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 06:05 PM
Charles

We thoroughly enjoyed Sevilla. The highlights were the Alcazar (must be what Eden was like), and of course the Cathedral. Flamenco should not be missed.

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 08:28 PM
steve

Loved Sevilla. <BR>Check out my web site for more detailed information. <BR>http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/5733

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 08:21 AM
richardab

It all sounds so great. I am starting to get excited. One downturn. Seville is not easy to get to from Los Angeles! It requires a double connection which is a drag. I know the best wat is to go via London where there is a non stop connecting flight to Seville, but unfortunately I want to go via Munich because I want to spend a couple days there. Maybe I will use my miles to fly business class to Europe, that way it won't be too awful...