2 questions-meal cost and film

Mar 15th, 2000, 02:08 PM
Brynn

2 questions-meal cost and film

I have two unrelated questions for all you European travelers. I am taking my first trip to Europe in September and have read 2 things in guidebooks that I'd like to get some feedback on. First, the general European guidebook I have says to budget $22 per meal. I will be in Paris, Munich, Florence and Rome. Does this sound fair? Also, my guidebooks have said that putting film in luggage or a carry on that will go through an X ray will ruin it. I have traveled in the US and don't recall this ever happening, but I want to be extra careful with this film since it may be a once in a lifetime trip. Anybody had this problem before? Thanks for the advice.

Mar 15th, 2000, 02:17 PM
elaine

Dear Brynn
I always leave film and my camera
in my carry on luggage and I've never had a problem, at least not in Western Europe or the UK. I have seen advisories not to put cameras and film in checked luggage because apparently the xray is different.
Food budgets are a very personal thing.
With much research and careful browsing I'm sure you can find lots of places to eat dinner for $22. Paris and Florence are pricey places, but there are neighborhood places, in Paris particularly some of the ethnic places, where you can eat cheaply. You certainly needn't spend $22 on breakfast or lunch--buy some bread and cheese, or
have a roll and coffee in a corner cafe.
With what you save on daytime meals, you may be able to "splurge" on dinner here and there.
Do buy the Cheap Eats books for
Paris, Rome and Florence, I don't know if there's one for Munich. The recommendations are very reliable, although not many places in the books will offer dinner for under $22.

Mar 15th, 2000, 02:35 PM
Rex

Brynn,

Budgeting for meals in Europe differs from budgeting for meals in the US in a couple of ways.

First, you often don't have to budget for breakfast at all. It's included with the room, even though it may in some cases be a separate (typically fixed) price for those people who never eat any breakfast.

Second, the 3 dollar burger and fries lunch scarcely exists in many parts of Europe (and why would you want to find it even if you could?) Even where there are cheaper lunches, they tend to be 6-15 dollars.

Third, it's almost the nature of traveling that you may choose to snack during the days - - all those delicious gelati in Italy, pastries in Vienna or Paris, and so on. I don't usually even call those part of the meals budget, but it's amazing how readily a person goes through $10 a day that is hard to account for.

And finally dinners - - this ressembles the U.S. the most, I think. 22 dollars is as good a number as any. If you set your mind on staying at 10 dollars for each dinner, you will be able to do it. If you throw abandon to the wind, you are likely to have some 50 dollar dinners, and maybe more. And some nights you may hardly feel like dealing with a restaurant at all.

A lot depends on your preferences and style of choosing restaurants. Ask yourself what you would spend on meals if you were making a trip from SF to LA to Las Vegas to Phoenix; or Boston to NY to Philadelphia to Washington. There is a very broad range of what you might spend in any of the above-mentioned groups of cities, and a similarly broad range in the four that you have listed.

If your goal is adequate nutrition for feeling healthy and having sufficient energy to be a tourist, $22 per DAY will get you by, with no problem. If experiencing the cuisine is your passion, a major part of the reason you are going to Europe, then spend every penny you can afford, and consider yourself lucky.

Mar 15th, 2000, 02:39 PM
Steve

Brynn - I once tried putting my film in one of those light weight lead-lined bags on a trip to Europe (to protect it, I thought). The staff at Charles DeGaulle manning the x-ray machines made me take the film out so they could run it through the machine seperately. The couldn't see inside the bag.

I've heard professional photographers say they don't bother trying to circumvent the machines anymore, and their pictures look OK, they feel. Elaine's food advice is excellent. In Paris, for example, depending on the price of your hotel, you can get breakfast (fresh bread, pastry, butter, coffee) for $5-10. The more expensive the hotel, the more expensive the brekafast, generally. The bagette sandwiches (cheese, chicken, vegetable, tuna, etc.) you buy from little shops or street vendors in Paris are great; the bread is much fresher and better tasting than in the U.S. Have a wonderful adventure!

Mar 15th, 2000, 02:47 PM
Emily

Brynn, I was worried about my film being ruined in x-ray machines also. When I thought of it, I asked them to hand-check my film and camera but even then, I was refused in London. In any case, none of my pictures were damaged. I was told not to worry unless I had very high film speeds.

Mar 15th, 2000, 05:11 PM
greg

Regarding film, it depends on at least three factors:

1. speed of the film, faster the more sensivite

2. number of times you pass your film thru the machines.

3. and the type of scanner used. The checked baggage is believed to get more dosage than the carry on, thus the recommendation to put in carry on baggage. Some high security airport use more powerful machines than the others.

A sample of picture said to have been damaged by ctx5000 scanner is at:

http://www.f-stop.org/sample_photograph.htm

Mar 15th, 2000, 06:30 PM
dan woodlief

As others have said, speed is important. Anything 800 and over is more likely to be damaged. Always ask for handchecking. Put your film in a clear ziplock bag, so it is easily checked. In the U.S., airport personnel are supposed to check by hand when asked, and I have never been refused. In other places, you may meet with outright refusal. I have encountered this in Europe before. Don't worry too much, as a few passes are unlikely to damage most film.

Mar 16th, 2000, 03:20 PM
alan

Hi! Just wanted to respond briefly to your food question. In Munich I have always stayed in hotels where breakfast in included. It is substantial and includes meats,cheeses, cereeal,m fruits etc. It is a buffet. In Italy and France breakfast is lighter. In France croisoints and rolls and in Italy I have had probably my worst breakfasts. Packaged rolls on occasion and butter. For lunch you can always get a wurst or some fast type food. In Munich check out the Victualmarkt near the center. It has many places to eat outside and drink the beer in a friendly atmosphere. When I am there I check out a fast food type place called Nordsea. Has wonderful fish plates and sandwhiches. I look for them whereever we go in Europe as they are a large chain. In Paris lunches are no problem either.
At supper we eat pizza in Italian restaurants often. They are usually very good and inexpensive. We also look for the foreign restaurants such as Turkish or Greek They are usually more inexpensive and very good also. We also eat local cuisine and usually don't spend as much as the guidebook suggest. Check out lonely planet or roughguides they have some good suggestions also. alan.