COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

2 or 3 good bases for seeing Andalucia arund March 1 fro people who prefer smaller towns

2 or 3 good bases for seeing Andalucia arund March 1 fro people who prefer smaller towns

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 11:51 AM
julie

I think we are going to finalize a trip to Spain for 2 weeks around the 1st of March. I've been doing a lot of reading about the area and have some ideas about where we'd want to visit. We'd be flying into Mardid, but don't really think we want to spend any time there. Probably not interested in the Costa del Sol either as we don't enjoy overbuilt coastal areas. We've learned that we really prefer smaller places where we can be more a part of the local culture rather than being a catered to tourist. Yet, we want to do some of the highlights of the area too--Seville, Toledo, Granada, pueblos blancos. Maybe also Cadiz for a day of Carnival(or is that mainly just a drunken bash) and Arcos. We very much enjoy local markets, local inexpensive cuisine, festivals and concerts, beautiful gardens, historical sights, real coastal villages, and beautiful natural areas. We are not into souvenir shopping, the nightlife scene, tourist traps, the beach, pricey places or resort areas. I know I want to spend the night in Granada because I've read that the Alhambra is magical at night. Other than that, I don't know. I'm thinking of perhaps Carmona as one option. If we did this, we'd visit Seville from there on day trips. Our ideal would be to establish 2 or 3 bases from which we could operate (we'll have a car) and do day trips. As for bases I'd like places that are conveniently located so we could visit the things I've mentioned and others too. My goal would be to be located in places that would give us maximum flexibility in choices of things to do and places to visit so that we aren't moving all the time and aren't tied into x number of nights in each place. Ideally what I'm looking for are charming, but inexpensive to moderately priced, apartments/cottages/houses that would have a kitchen or fridge so we could get food from local delis if we wished and keep breakfast supplies and drinks handy. Would prefer to be in an interesting and historic locale. I know that we don't want to be so far into the mountains that it would be a hassle getting in and out of the base. And, at this time of year are the more mountainous village going to just be cold and muddy and unpleasant? Also, I'd prefer to be in a small town or village where we could walk to the local bakery, stores and restaurants. Am I asking for the impossible? Do you have any thoughts on locations that might meet my requirements? Thanks.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 03:17 PM
duke

Try Ronda

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 05:20 AM
tom

any others out there with comments?

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 09:28 AM
Davidx

Your e-mail address does not work. Please e-mail me if youwould like some notes and URLs

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 09:54 AM
Carol

March can be cold and rainy or warm and sunny; we've had plenty of both in our last two trips. You might check out the Priego de Cordoba area. Easy driving to Granada and Cordoba, plus many other small charming towns. Idyll, Inc. (www.untours.com) offers a two-week package in a house or apartment, plus rental car, plus onsite coordinator, at a very reasonable price. They can do air, also, flying into Malaga, with car transport to your final destination. Just make sure that whatever you rent has heat! Some of those old places rely only on fireplaces.
Have fun. We love Andalucia.
Carol