Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

2 nights in Madrid advice on a 'great' hotel i.e. location location...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We leave in 7 weeks (yay) and after some 'detours' and 2 and a half weeks driving around Spain, we will have two nights in Madrid before flying home.

I'm looking for somewhere really nice, say 4* (?) central to the very <i>heart</i> of Madrid for wandering, eating, people watching and just relaxing before the long flight home. I know everyone always says "what price range?" but we're open to any suggestions whether it be a chain hotel, quaint hotel (preferred) or some sort of B&B just as long as we can walk out the door and be in the 'thick of it'.
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 04:00 PM

I recently stayed at the Westin Palace. and you can walk everywhere. Other people on this forum like the Europa, which is also in a great location. I saw a parador near the plaza Mayor. it was a 4 star, but I did not go in.

Have a great trip.
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 04:25 PM

I stayed at the Preciados Hotel (#2 rating in Trip Advisor) at the end of April and was more than happy with my stay. The location is central - 2 mins from the pedestrian shopping area and 10-15 mins stroll to the market and restaurants around there. No problem with street noise. The hotel is clean and furnishings are modern. It's not a luxurious hotel but it's still very nice and good value for its central location. Didn't try the breakfast. The staff are friendly.
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 07:07 PM

If you dont care about cost you might consider the Ritz. Easy walking to heart of city, great museums and one helluva hotel experience.
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 07:31 PM

Hola

The Inter Palacio - http://www.hotelpalaciosanmartin.es - gets a mention in the past.
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

Thank you thank you.........I'll have a look at all the suggestions, even the Ritz ;-)
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 08:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
ME Madrid Reina Victoria in Plaza Santa Ana. The Plaza doesn't sleep until dawn. We loved it, tapas bars all over the square.
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 09:44 PM

Hi Aussiedreamer
My sister and I stayed in June'12 at a 2 star hotel in a great central location in Madrid called Room Mate Mario.The service by all staff was outstanding, buffet breakfast included,rooms large and very clean and nothing was too much trouble.It was located within walking distance to the metro, tourist bus,Puerta de Sol and shopping streets,markets of San Miguel,Plaza Major and the most fantastic shoe shop called Casa Hernanz.Our 4 day stay in Madrid in our 6 weeks trip around Europe was a highlight mainly because of the location.
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 11:22 PM

Hi Aussiedreamer, I was on a home exchange so didn't stay in a hotel but I have a little suggestion for a restaurant that I DIDN'T get to because I didn't know about the upstairs section. There is a converted market hall called Mercado San Miguel that has the most fantastic range of food. Most people eat downstairs and there isn't much room but there is a restaurant on the top floor where my daughter has eaten a couple of times which is really great. Enjoy.
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 11:27 PM
Original Poster

you guys are great, thanks travelnut265 and surfergirl I will check them both out.

AussieFrance, the San Miguel is on the list (dd was there a year ago and still talks about the amazing food they ate there) its great to have the upstairs 'tip'.

Much appreciated.

Ps: The Ritz is out
Old Nov 27th, 2012, 02:45 AM

I second Surfergirls suggestion of ME Madrid Reina Victoria in Plaza Santa Ana. As in the thick of it as it gets, I always stay around here. The hotel gets great reviews: http://www.booking.com/hotel/es/meli...ctoria.en.html

On the plaza itself there are lots of cafés, bars and restaurants long into the night, and the best jazz and flamenco clubs in Madrid are on your doorstep: Café Central (jazz, live performances with top artists every night at 10pm, 15€) and Casa Patas and Cardamomo for the best flamenco performances. Legendary flamenco club Villa Rosa from 1910 is also 50 meters from the hotel. The culture and nightlife of the Barrio de Las Letras/Literary quarter is also right outside your door. http://www.barrioletras.com/

About Plaza Santa Ana: http://www.gomadrid.com/sights/plaza-santa-ana.html
Old Nov 28th, 2012, 05:12 PM

Hi,
If it not too late, we spent 3 days in Madrid in the hotel Husa Paseo del Arte @ 123 Atocha, Madrid by Atocha train station and Queen Sofia Art museum.

Lily