Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   2 nights in Highlands/Scotland (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/2-nights-in-highlands-scotland-1025134/)

kiwinz Sep 9th, 2014 08:41 PM

2 nights in Highlands/Scotland

Just fine tuning this part of our itinerary. We have 2 nights spare north of Scotland

Have I got it right for 2 nights. Travelling up from Glasgow.

1 night Glencoe, 1 night Mull then drive to Edinburgh for 2 nights. Ferry from Mull to Oban or should I stay in Oban instead of Mull.

Any recommendations for accommodation. There is 2 of us with car.

Thanks

Gordon_R Sep 10th, 2014 03:13 AM

Wouldn't describe this as "north of Scotland" at all, but more to the point this sounds a bit rushed to me, though not totally impossible. I think you'll be pushed to fit Mull into this due to the ferry times and the long drive back to Edinburgh.

adrienne Sep 10th, 2014 07:04 AM

To clarify, you're looking to spend 2 nights in northern Scotland in addition to the above itinerary? Do you have 3 days? When do you want to fit in the extras time, after Mull/Oban or after Edinburgh?

I've been to Skye and Ullapool (and various places between Edinburgh and Ullapool) but that would be a lot of driving from either Mull or Edinburgh. How far north do you want to go?

janisj Sep 10th, 2014 07:57 AM

I 'think' you are just asking about the two nights, and not about Glencoe/Mull plus two additional nights . . . right?

The confusion is because you mention the north and Highlands - and neither Glencoe nor especially Mull/Oban are 'northern' Scotland. And only Glencoe could be considered the highlands.

So please clarify - if you only have 2 nights (which is really just one full day plus a bit) I probably would not try to do Mull but stick to the mainland. Glencoe and the Trossachs and then on to Edinburgh. The Trossachs is gorgeous area between Glencoe and Edinburgh -- rivers, lochs, waterfalls, pretty scenery plus Stirrling/Doune castles would be on the route to Edinburgh.

BUT -- if you actually meant 2 additional nights not counting Glencoe and Oban/Mull, let us know and we can help you more.

kiwinz Sep 10th, 2014 08:19 AM

Thanks we just have 2 nights after Glasgow or would you recommend to stay in glencoe for 2 nights only

janisj Sep 10th, 2014 08:31 AM

>> would you recommend to stay in glencoe for 2 nights only<<

Depends on what you want to do there. Are you into serious hiking, climbing? If so - then sure -- 2 nights n Glencoe would be great.

But if you are mainly on a sightseeing trip, only one night . . . or even NO nights in Glencoe would be more than adequate. If you are on a driving/sightseeing trip -- you can drive through Glencoe and spend 2 or 3 hours there max., maybe have lunch at the Clachaig and move on.

kiwinz Sep 10th, 2014 11:03 AM

Thanks janisj. So if you moved on where would you head and stay for the 2 nights

bvlenci Sep 10th, 2014 11:34 AM

We recently spent two nights in Oban, and visited Mull and Iona (well, mostly Iona). I had originally planned to drive on to Glencoe after leaving Oban, but at the last minute, I changed the plan and decided to spend two nights in Oban. I was glad I did, because Iona was our favorite place on the whole trip, and I would have hated to be in a rush to get somewhere else.

janisj Sep 10th, 2014 03:34 PM

>>Thanks janisj. So if you moved on where would you head and stay for the 2 nights<<

You have 2 nights/maybe 1.5-2 days and you could head any direction. Ayrshire, or Oban/Mull, or Glencoe/the Trossachs, or Stirling/Perth, or the Borders, etc. But just one of them. Each area has enough to fill several days. All are my favorites (I know, that doesn't help much :) )

It mostly depends on what sorts of things you hope to see/do.

For convenience to Edinburgh I might suggest staying your 2 nights in Callander or nearby. You'd drive up to Glencoe and then down to Callander the first day (w/ a short detour to Killin & the Falls of Dochart on the way). The second day you could visit Inchmahome Priory, drive through the Queen Elizabeth Forest Park, see waterfalls/lochs - maybe a boat ride on Loch Katrine. Then the next morning visit Stirling castle and drive on to Edinburgh.

kiwinz Sep 28th, 2014 03:41 AM

Hi all thanks for your comments, actually spent 2 nights in the glencoe area and loved it.