Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

2 nights Copenhagen start of trip and 3 nights before departure.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2019, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

Its time to start filling in some gaps on our trip to Denmark, Norway and Iceland. We arrive into C'hagen lunch time May 24, we will have 2 nights to 'recover' from the long haul flight from Brisbane & Melbourne ( 2 x couples) As we will also have 3 nights before our departure on June 19, there wont be the mad panic to rush to see 'everything'. I'd love to hear suggestions on a great hotel 4* with a great location for just waking up and wandering those first 2 days (day and a 1/2 )? On the return to Copenhagen it will just be DH & I as our travel companions will be departing before us. So again location (maybe the same?) and also some restaurant recommendations, Noma is a little over the top.......even for us hahahaha. As we will have two full days, is it worth going further afield for a day trip?

After Copenhagen we fly to Iceland for 9 nights, we will do the full 'circle' in RV's. We do need to book a hotel for our arrival night into Reykjavik? Any suggestions gratefully received, old hands at RV's but great to hear first hand experiences.

Then its to Oslo for one night, then the NIN with one night in Flam before arriving into Bergen (porter service booked) for 2 nights. We then collect cars to 5 nights, Jolster, Geiranger and Alesund and down to Stavanger for two nights, before our flights back to C'hagen.
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 02:40 PM

All of these are walking distance to the centre in Copenhagen
The Admiral
The Square
The Marriott - bit further out
Babettes Guldmeden
Nyhavn 71
Hotel Alexandra
and many others

Restaurant Radio is really great if you want to try Nordic cuisine, I really enjoyed it.
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 11:46 PM
Original Poster

Radio looks fantastic.... thank you so much.
Old Jan 15th, 2019, 07:40 AM

Hotel suggestions for Scandinavia

Happy Travels!
Old Jan 15th, 2019, 07:52 AM

I constantly advocate multi-destination air travel, flying into one city and out of another. But I only know the advantages trans-Atlantic (these routes always save time and sometimes a little money). Can a multi-destination search function duplicate the strategy for travel from Australia? They have to be booked through a multi-city search function.
Old Jan 15th, 2019, 08:49 AM

We stayed at Nyhavn 71. You cannot beat the location! Breakfast was just incredible!!! Copenhagen a fun place!!! You will enjoy!
Old Jan 15th, 2019, 09:53 AM

ABSALON HOTEL
Helgolandsgade 15
DK- 1653 Copenhagen V

Tel: +45 3324 2211
Old Jan 15th, 2019, 12:49 PM

From my trip report:

Two restaurant meals stand out. One was Restaurant Bror ($257), across the street from our first apartment, which is an upscale restaurant that specializes in lesser pieces of meat—chicken hearts and bulls’ balls (their terminology) when we were there. Prices are comparable to the same type of restaurant in SF. We had the 5 course menu which was excellent, as was the service. The credit card did not work so we used our debit card. BROR restaurant

The other one was a brew (www.noerrebrobryghus.dk/en ) pub just down the street from our second apartment which offered good fish dishes ($108).

To these two I would add the eating area inTorvehallerne:
Old Jan 15th, 2019, 02:07 PM

My husband and I also enjoyed Restaurant Radio, which I probably learned about from Odin's recommendations.
Another restaurant along the same lines (new Nordic/Contemporary Danish cuisine) that we liked was Marv & Ben. The small streets around Marv & Ben were lively and fun for strolling, lots of shops and cafes. I think this area is also known as Strædet.

If you enjoy musuems, I recommend visiting the Glyptoteket Museum in Copenhagen. Don't miss the view from the rooftop.
https://www.glyptoteket.com/
Outside of Copenhagen, you might enjoy The Lousiana Museum of Modern Art. The collection is excellent and the grounds are scenic. To get there by train, takes about 35 minutes from Copenhagen’s Central Station or 10 minutes from Helsingør.
You'd get off at Humlebæk Station, and then walk 10-minutes to the museum. The way is clearly marked.
https://www.louisiana.dk/en/visit-louisiana. .
Old Jan 15th, 2019, 04:28 PM

<<As we will have two full days, is it worth going further afield for a day trip?>> Yes it is. You can visit Roskilde to see the Viking Ship Museum although you might see examples of this in Norway. If you go to Louisiana Museum, you can also visit Helsingør and Kronberg Castle or visit Gilleleje which is a traditional fishing village where you can get smoked fish lunch by the water or Hornbæk which is a seaside town with nice boutiques. You can go easily by train, even better is by car, you can drive northwards on the coastal road which is picturesque. Karen Blixen's House is on the way to Louisiana. You could even take the rental car to Sweden on the 15min ferry crossing at Helsingør to Helsingborg and have a nice lunch at Sillen & Makrillen or Sofiero Castle. If you don't have a rental car, you could have lunch on the Aurora ferry, a typical Swedish/Danish thing to do. The ferry is only 15mins but you stay on board for upto 2 hours back and forth between Denmark and Sweden having lunch

Meny - Sillen & Makrillen
https://sofiero.se/en/
https://www.forsea.dk/ombord/restaurant/waves/
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Fantastic, thank you all.

We've booked https://hotelsktannae.dk/?lang=en for arrival and a lovely apartment in the same area for departure. We'll have 3 nights, so its nice to spread out and re-pack for the long trek home.

We will definitely be going to Restaurant Radio, bookings are not open yet for June.
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 02:35 AM

Don't miss the pastries and breads at Copenhagen's bakeries.
Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 09:29 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Diamantina
Don't miss the pastries and breads at Copenhagen's bakeries.

Oh we wont.............