Notices

2 month Itinerary Ideas (summer)

Feb 8th, 2016, 09:05 PM
Original Poster

2 month Itinerary Ideas (summer)

My Brother and I (ages 24 & 22)are wanting to backpack through Europe and are looking for ideas. our time line is from around may 30th to early/mid august. we have a passion for nature and beautiful scenery but also want to see some iconic cities and villages. we are interested in the Camino De Santiago but want to make sure we get off the beaten path as well to find solitude and scenery. looking for a good balance of cities and wildlife. we are wanting to stay in a combination of hostels and camping. our starting point is in Barcelona, and have a week long Iceland trip for week 4.
looking for any suggestions on around a four to five thousand dollar budget.
Thanks!
Feb 9th, 2016, 12:03 AM

The Camino Frances is over 700km and although you don't need camping equipment, you need a moderate level of fitness and some decent shoes. It is perfect for young people your age, who have lots of time and are keen for an adventure. I would, however, suggest that you start as early as possible - on June 1st if you can - as the longer you leave it the hotter it gets. Take a look at this amazing forum for some ideas and help.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/comm...no-frances.12/

I would recommend starting in St Jean rather than Roncesvalles as you get to walk the pilgrim path over the Pyrennes. St Jean is a beautiful town and a great place to start your Camino.

http://www.caminoadventures.com/cami...-roncesvalles/
Feb 9th, 2016, 06:38 AM

You tagged this post with "Belgium , France , Germany , Italy" but not with Spain but it looks as if you would stay mainly in Spain and maybe on the French side of the Pyrenees and not at all in Belgium and Germany. Right?

If this is the case, be aware of climate. Be aware that summer gets very hot in certain parts of Spain and Southern France and that hiking with a backback on hot mountain trails might not be much fun. In June, the sun is highest, but July and August are hotter.

The plains south of the Pyrenees, especially the wine region Rioja,gets extremely hot in summer. On higher altitudes in the Pyrenees, the heat might be bearable, but the trails are very steep.

In Northwestern Spain, north of the mountain chain around Picos de Europa, the climate is generally cooler, but also with a higher chance of rain. You might consider taking the train from Barcelona to Donostia, Bilbao or Santander and start there.

Search this Thread