2 month Europe Trip

Search

2 month Europe Trip

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2019, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 month Europe Trip

Hi All, I am planning a 2 month trip to Europe. I am leaving the first week of March and then returning May 8th. Housing is not my issue nor is budget, I want to make sure all the places I want to go is doable. Some stipulations are though that I am flying in and out of Paris and the last ten days of my trip are in Paris. I also want to be in Rome during Easter which is April 12. I am trying not to backtrack too much so anyone that can help me plan an itinerary that makes the most sense, thank you. My one non-negotiable is the last ten days in Paris as that is when my mom is flying in.

Fly in to Paris
Lourdes- I am thinking 3 days
Avignon- I am thinking 3 days
Lyon-either 2 or 3 days
Liseux- about 2 full days?
Strasbourg- I am thinking 3 days
the cities I want to see in Italy are as follows:
Cinque Terre- 2 or 3 days
Assisi- 3 or 4
Rome- I want to be there over Easter which is April 12th
I also would like to go to Luxembourg- 4 days? I probably will base myself in Luxembourg City since it's a smaller country and just do day trips
I also would like to go to Munich- 5 or 6 days?

Is this doable? What order should I go in? I am young and doing majority of this trip by myself besides the last 10 days where my mom will be with me.

Thank you

Old Dec 12th, 2019, 09:42 AM
mjs

Is this your first trip to Europe? What is it that you wish to accomplish with your list of travel destinations? You can accomplish a lot in two months including visiting all on your list. Plant to travel by air, train or car as options?
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 10:04 AM

My recollection is that Perugia would be a better central location than Assisi:

https://flic.kr/p/7pdXzT
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

This is not my first trip to Europe. I went to Spain a few years ago. Earlier this year I was on a school trip to England and France. In France I went to Paris and Normandy. I only had 3 days in Paris and it has been my favorite place I have ever been to which is why my mom and I are spending so much time there. I have no plans at all to ever get a car. I am planning to mainly due trains but I am also considering a couple flights to save time as I have found some cheap ones in between Rome and Munich and Rome and Luxembourg. All these places are places that have been on my list for years which is why I have chose them.
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

I am religious and love St. Francis and Clare of Assisi which is why I want to go there. My same reasoning is for Lisieux and Lourdes
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 10:22 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think your plan and planning is fine. And about the right amount of places for an 8 week trip. As far as not backtracking, just print out a paper map and figure out what kind of circle makes the most sense, starting and ending in Paris. And like you already said mostly train rides but a couple flights for the longest distances. Once you have your cities picked and confirmed, people can help with suggestions for each. But I think you basically have the outline of the trip you want already done
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 10:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You have enough time, but how to use the days is really your call based on your interest in each destination, whether you plan excursions to other towns/sights, etc.

Just based on geography, Lisieux seems a bit out of the way for a short stop, and you might consider visiting Luxembourg and Munich before heading to Italy. I don't know what this change in the itinerary order does to your plan of being in Rome for Easter. And you don't mention where your mother will meet you which I assume would dictate where you need to be on a particular date. And you don't mention if you need to return to Paris to fly home which might also might influence the itinerary order.

You need to study train timetables and possibly intra-Europe flights, understand how long some of the journeys between points will take and how travel eats into the amount of time you want to spend anywhere. You might want to write down your schedule for each day, noting what you want to see/do and how long that will take, and then note the travel time to the next destination, etc. Museums tend not to be open 7 days a week, so if any are priorities you should investigate the hours and adjust your schedule accordingly.
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 10:36 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
"I am flying in and out of Paris"
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 12:41 PM

Let's see, you have roughly a month to get to Rome by Easter, than you have about 2 weeks to get back to Paris and spend the last 10 days there.

I'd start by heading south to Italy, because it's more likely to have better weather in early spring than France(especially northern France) and Germany.

I'd go Lyon - Avignon - Cinque Terre - Assisi - Rome. You have nearly 1 month for this(depending on how long you stay in Rome) so you can add a few other destinations along this route.

After Easter you can start to work your way up north to Germany(If you had enough of Italy, you can even take the direct night train from Rome to Munich, but it would be a pity to miss the nice views of crossing the Alps by daylight.)

From Munich you can easily get to Strasbourg(there is even a direct train), than to Luxembourg, than Paris. Lisieux could be an easy side trip from Paris, perhaps combined with some other nearby city(Rouen?).

Lourdes is the outlier here. You either squeeze it in to the last 10 days in Paris or in case you don't mind a potentially cold weather you could start with Lourdes in March and leave Lyon for the end of you trip.

Last edited by BDKR; Dec 12th, 2019 at 01:00 PM.
Old Dec 13th, 2019, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you much for the help in figuring out my itinerary.I have decided to cut Luxembourg and have added on Florence. I have given myself one full day to get to each place even if it is only a few hours away to help plan for unforeseen seen issues. Does this sound doable:

One day of travel to Lisieux from Paris, 1 full day in Lisieux
1 day travel to Lourdes, 2 full days in Lourdes
1 day of travel to Avignon, 3 full days in Avignon
1 day of travel to Lyon, 3 full days in Lyon
1 day of travel to Cinque Terre, 2 full days in Cinque Terre
1 day of travel to Florence, 6 full days in Florence
1 day of travel to Assisi, 3 full days in Assisi
1 day of travel to Rome, 6 full days in Rome
1 day of travel to Munich, 5 full days in Munich
3 extra unassigned days
1 day to travel to Strasbourg, 3 full days in Strasbourg

I have about 3 days of wiggle room after Munich but also those days could be attached anywhere else. Anywhere I should add extra days? Would it be worth it to add those days to Munich and do an overnight trip Salzburg or should Salzburg only need a day trip? I also was wondering favorite day trips from any of these places as I have some ideas but I would love to hear from others what day trips are actually worth it.

Thank you.
Old Dec 13th, 2019, 02:05 PM

You're looking for a few long and complex journeys between

Lisieux - Lourdes

Lourdes - Avignon

Lyon - CinqueTerre

I'd ideally add at least 1 stop between these city pairs

Lisieux may be better done as a side trip from Paris. The fastest and easiest way from Paris to Lourdes is to take the direct TGV(high-speed train), but that doesn't stop anywhere between Paris and Bordeaux, so you have to return from Lisieux to Paris anyway.

Alternative options for the Paris - Lourdes trip:

Night train Paris - Toulouse or the slower, but more scenic classic trains Paris - Toulouse via Limoges.

Between Lourdes and Avignon you could stop at Carcassonne, Béziers, Narbonne, Montpellier.

Between Lyon and the CinqueTerre you could stop in Turin or Genua.

From Rome to Munich you can take the direct night train or make a stop somewhere in the Alps(Bozen, Innsbruck) and travel by daylight. On weekends you can take a night train from Rome to Bozen/Bolzano.

Last edited by BDKR; Dec 13th, 2019 at 02:08 PM.
Old Dec 13th, 2019, 04:54 PM
kja

Much better!

I'm not sure what in particular draws you to Avignon, but you might consider adding some time there so you can also visit some of the places nearby -- you would have a wealth of interesting and different options.

I wanted more time in Lyon that you are giving it, but what matters is whether you are giving it enough time for YOUR interests.

As for Salzburg -- I loved seeing it at night and found more than enough to justify an overnight stay. YMMV.
Old Dec 22nd, 2019, 04:46 PM

Hi,
It looks like you are well on your way to make a reasonable infinitary. and you are leaving a little room for change. I agree with just making dots on a map and then double-check it the order makes sense and check how to travel from place to place.
Old Jan 6th, 2020, 01:54 PM

Your plan looks great for me. But to be honest, Italy may take a little longer. If I were you, I would like to see Cattedrale di Santa Maria del Fiore in Florence. And it can take another 2-3 days. But up to you, my friend. Again, your plan looks good even withot Florence
Old Feb 6th, 2020, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Hi everyone. Thanks for all your help. So far I have booked my first three days in Paris, train to Lourdes, Lourdes, train to Avignon, Avignon, train to Lyon, Lyon. After Lyon I have a 4 day open period before I have to be in Florence as that is booked. After Florence I have Assisi booked and then Rome for Holy Week and Easter. I’m thinking of either going to Milan or Turin in between Lyon and Florence. After Rome, I’m flying up to Munich. Any recommendations for cities between Munich and Paris? Thanks everyone for the help.
Old Feb 6th, 2020, 02:58 PM

I am sorry I came to this thread late - if you are interested in Lourdes then you might be interested in Nevers (which is in the Loire Valley). St Bernadette's preserved, waxed body is there and it attracts a lot of tourism. Maybe next trip, or an alternative to Lourdes.

Lavandula