Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

2 moms and 3 teens and one toddler and 4 days, leaving from Rome?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. I am having a very hard time figuring out an itinerary for myself and my friend. We will be staying in Umbria for a week, then heading to Rome to drop off the husbands at the airport,and visit for the weekend with friends. Then we will have 4 or 5 more days -- maybe more -- to travel with our 3 teen sons and one 4 year-old. We thought trains would be a good way to get around with all those boys. I had been thinking a train to Florence, one night there, then on to Venice, but many many people (Italians as well) are telling me to stay away from Venice in the summer. We will be traveling the last week of June.
Any advice?
Old May 16th, 2010, 01:57 PM

From where do you fly home? With you group, I would pick one, perhaps two locations, with your second location close to your departure airport.
Old May 16th, 2010, 02:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
ok - this is what we've got so far -

one week umbria [where? town, country, doing what?]

weekend Rome [have you been before, what will you be doing over the weekend?]

then ??? 4-5 days...

1. Are you sure that you don't want to stay put in Rome. you could rent an apartment, do the sights, a day excursion or two.

2. if not Rome, as it will be summer, why not the coast? train to naples, take in Pompeii, then onto the amalfi - beach, vesuvius, capri...

3. Venice. No more smelly in June than any other time. could be lovely. loads to see and do for all ages.

4. One night stands in Florence, [or elsewhere]. no, no, no. please, no. not with all those kids.

5. my idea - [unless you did this in Umbria] - rent a villa somewhere with a swimming pool for those boys to work off their energy. even better if they have bikes for the lads as well.
Old May 18th, 2010, 11:34 AM

I agree don't go to Venice in the summer. I have been to Italy many times. Each time I love to go to Rome for at least a few days. I have taken my teenage boys and my daughter as well. What they will love there: The coliseum and the food! Nino by the spanish steps is a great restaurant. If you can stay close to the spanish steps it is a good location for them to walk. I second the Amalfi coast - take a train to Naples I believe and then taxi the rest of the way. I love Positano. Le Sirenuse is fabulous http://www.sirenuse.it/ The next time I couldn't get a room at Le Sirenuse and stayed here Mira Mare http://www.miramarepositano.it/english/hotel.php My kids love just hanging out at the pool, beaching it and going to the cafes. We went to Pompei and it was another highlight of the trip. You will need to get driver or taxi try to get a tour if you can they point out many details that are fascinating that you will not notice on your own. Stay 2 days in Rome and 3 days in Positano. If you go to Positano be sure to try the lemoncello and go to this great cover up shop on the beach front walk. They are handmade great little cover ups made on sight all very inexpensive 30-40 dollars. My friend who met me in Positano had just bought the same ones at a spa in Sisily for 100 dollars.
Old May 18th, 2010, 02:26 PM

Hi,

I think after a week in Umbria your teens may be really thrilled to be in Rome. I would rent an apartment there and stay put.

In summer, there are two great daytrip destinations for a group like yours, easily reached from Rome:

One is Ostia Antica, which many people consider more enjoyable and historically vivid than Pompeii. It is all flat and shady, and catches a sea breeze. Any good guidebook will give you specifics about getting there with public transportation. But with a group your size, a car service would not be all that much more. Pack a picnic and -- another tip if you have a stroller -- when you enter past the ticket booth, take the black-topped modern road to the right of the ticket booth, which will bypass a lot of cemetery monuments and more easily bring you right to the areas of main interest.

The other good day trip might be Sperlonga, a beach town with lots of fascinations. Again, any good guidebook to Rome will tell you the particulars of getting there by public transportation. You can read up on Sperlonga here:

http://www.italyheaven.co.uk/sperlonga.html

Rome is filled with no end of interesting things to do for teenage boys -- you might find this useful:

http://www.deliciousbaby.com/journal...ed-tour-guide/