Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

2 for 1 travelcard - does everyone need to be present to purchase?

Old Feb 11th, 2014, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mom is in the UK now and can go to a rail station to pick up our travelcards for us if that is possible. It would save us time when we get there as she is going to meet us on arrival. It will be for 2 adults and 2 children 11 and 12. Do any of us need to be present to purchase or can she purchase on our behalf?

Next question is to confirm where to pick them up.

I will be staying next to the Westfield Shopping Centre near the Stratford station. I looked at the link below that jamikins posted in another thread.

"Ok if you go to http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/statio...s/default.aspx and enter the station name and hit search on the left hand side if the page it tells you who operates the station - if it says Network Rail you can buy tickets valid for 2for1. If it says London Underground you cannot!"

Frrom what I understand, I cannot pick up the 2 for 1 travelcards from Stratford Underground, but can walk over to Stratford International station to pick them up. According to the website:

To travel between Stratford International and Stratford Regional station, passengers are advised to walk through the Westfield shopping centre (access is available through the Lower Ground Floor) which is about a ten minute walk and does not involve steps, lifts or escalators. Alternatively, you can use Docklands Light Railway services which are a 2 minute walk from the High Speed station entrance), which take passengers directly to Stratford Regional station (a charge is payable) or further onto the London Underground network.

Is that correct?

Thank you all so much!
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 07:20 AM

Yup that is correct!

I don't think you need to be present...but you need passport photos for 7 day travel cards. 1 day travel cards do not require a photo.
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 07:24 AM

You don't need to go to Stratford international...greater Anglos runs that station and is part of network rail.
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 07:25 AM

I mean greater Anglia operate Stratford and are part of national rail netword.
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 07:27 AM

Ok one more time to be super clear - you can buy national rail tickets at the regular Stratford station, no need to go to Stratford international. But not at the Stratford underground station...the train station.
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Hmm..I'm going to think if I can get my mom passport photos easily. In the US it is easy to upload photos online to have them printed for very cheap (under 30 cents) at a photo centre (most major chain pharmacies have them). Is it like that in the UK? If it is too much hassle for her I will just pick it up when I get there.

I will arrive at Stratford underground station (taking the tube from Heathrow). Is it an easy walk over to the rail station with luggage in tow? I will then be walking to my flat next to the Westfield Shopping Centre.

Thank you all for your awesome advice.
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 07:58 AM

Yes she can email them to a place called snappy snaps although I don't know the cost if that!
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 08:01 AM

In fact one of the TfL and the only Greater Anglia ticket counters are adjacent to each other at Stratford. Go back to the search page, enter Stratford and the page that comes up includes the phrase "station map". When this comes up, click on "view larger version"

All is then revealed.
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

OK - I think it finally penetrated my thick head. I examined the maps and everything. When janikins said: "But not at the Stratford underground station...the train station."

He meant that there are 2 ticket counters adjacent to each other - one for the Underground and one for the National Rail (with a sign saying "Greater Anglia"). I got confused thinking it meant I had to go to a different building.

This is perfect. Sounds very easy now. Thank you all so much.
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 11:16 AM

That's right (although I am female!!).
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 11:17 AM

I don't know that there will be any sign saying Greater Anglia though...it may just be the symbols or you may just need to ask.
Old Feb 12th, 2014, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

That's actually what the sign says. I went to that website link, searched the station and checked out pictures. Amazingly, they had a photo of the actual booth so you know what to look for! I was impressed at the level of detail