2-for-1 offers in Edinburgh

Old Jun 7th, 2017, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

2-for-1 offers in Edinburgh

Hi friends,

We are two adults traveling to UK this week. We will be coming to Edinburgh from London on 9th June using National Rail train service. I just found out regarding 2-for-1 offers available on several attractions in Edinburgh.

I understand that for using these offers we need to have train tickets both in and out of Edinburgh. We already have an inwards train ticket from London but don't have any return ticket (as we will be traveling from Scotland to England by rental car).

Kindly suggest which is the cheapest available ticket (throwaway) to purchase from Edinburgh to a nearby place which can be used to avail the 2-for-1 offers?
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 08:00 AM

Buy a R-T ticket to Linlithgow covering the dates you are in Edinburgh (and use it to visit the Palace). Will cost about £5 each way.
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks janisj that's really helpful.

And would you suggest buying the ticket online now itself or but it over the counter at Edinburgh station? Or it doesn't matter either way?
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 10:01 AM

no reason to buy them now. Same cost on the day. Do realize if you actually do visit Linlithgow (as opposed to just using the tickets to qualify for the 2for1's and 'eating' them) you will need to by another one way ticket from Linlithgow back to Edinburgh.
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 01:00 PM

My understanding is that the 2 for 1 will work on your day of arrival with your arriving ticket. Is this not true?
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 02:18 PM

The 2for1's work for any day for which you have a ticket. So yes, absolutely, if one arrives by train the discounts are available for that day.

But if one wants to use the 2for1's on additional days, one needs a R-T ticket covering all of the 'in between' days (or a separate ticket for each day which would be more expensive/inconvenient)
Old Jun 9th, 2017, 12:12 PM

Thanks Janisj, I'm glad my understanding is accurate. We'll be arriving in London from Glasgow by train and I was hoping to take advantage of the 2 for 1 at least on that day.