2 Dilemmas; 6 options (Southern Italy)

May 3rd, 2007, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

2 Dilemmas; 6 options (Southern Italy)

Ciao again!

I already have a message about an itinerary I'd like to do in southern Italy.

This is the deal: I want to spend 16 nights in Italy, but, so far, I have an itinerary of 14 nights (4 in Naples, 3 on one of the Aeolians, 3 in Taormina and 4 in Palermo).

First Dilemma:
I can't decide what to visit on the other 2 nights left. These are the options I like:

1. Noto
2. Tropea
3. Ischia

Second Dilemma:
I want to spend 3 nights on one of the Aeolian Islands, but they all seem beautiful, so I still don't know where to base and what other island to visit for the day. These are the options I like:

1. Lipari
2. Vulcano
3. Stromboli

Would you help me decide?
May 3rd, 2007, 06:54 PM

Lipari, for sure! Vulcano was a fascinating day trip, quick and easy from Lipari (although the hydrofoil is faster and more reliable than the ferry to get there- I learned the hard way!). The strong sulfurous smell is part of the whole experience, but you would not want to be breathing that for three days and nights! Also, besides soaking in the mud, climbing to the crater, and marveling at the pumice floating in the water while you rinse off, I'm not sure what else you would do there.

Stromboli was the same-a spectacular experience for the volcano itself, but not a lot to do there besides marvel at the volcano for three days. Lipari town, on Lipari, is an excellent base for getting to all of the islands (you can get to Stromboli as a day trip)and the beaches were gorgeous and the town was filled with cafes and shops.

In fact, I wish I had had an extra day to explore Lipari and one less for Taormina.
May 4th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I'll base on Lipari and spend 2, instead of 3, nights in Taormina since it seems small.
May 4th, 2007, 04:41 PM

I'm glad that information was helpful! But it also sounds like you want to see and experience volcanoes- are you going to Mt. Etna? If so, Taormina was a great base for the day trip there. But that would still give you one full day on the beach and to explore the town. If at all possible, if there is ANYthing scheduled to be performed at the coliseum there; go! No matter what it is, it will be magical in that setting (assuming it's not raining!)Rather than touring it by day (and using time to do so), that was a perfect way to enjoy it, as it has been for so long. Also the puppet show. You will have such a great vacation- good luck!
May 4th, 2007, 05:44 PM

Lipari is you best base.
If you want beach time then Cefalu is on your route with easy train connections. Noto is too far off the path.