Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   2 Days Split and 2 Days Hvar Croatia ??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/2-days-split-and-2-days-hvar-croatia-775161/)

Maggey Mar 25th, 2009 05:53 PM

2 Days Split and 2 Days Hvar Croatia ???

I'm struggling with this part of our trip to Croatia in September.
My plan is 2 nights in Split . Then the ferry to Hvar and 2nights on
the island before making our way up the coast to Dubvornik. My
question - is 2 nights in Split too much time or are we better off
spending an extra day in Hvar ? Split seems to have such mixed reviews !!!
Any thoughts or suggestions for these 4nights would be greatly appreciated !
thanks Maggey

aprillilacs Mar 25th, 2009 06:10 PM

When do you arrive in Split? Our flight arrived in the evening, so 2 nights in Split were perfect. We loved it. If you have extra time, you can take the 30-minute bus ride to Trogir to explore that lovely little town.

On the other hand, we loved the 3 nights we spent in Hvar.

I think this is a win-win situation!

Maggey Mar 25th, 2009 06:33 PM

Hi Aprillilacs ! (what a pretty name!)

Thank you for your reply. We arrive into Split around 10.00am which will give us at least 2 full days in Split. This is why I wondered if that was too much time? I would love to visit Trogir - how much time would you suggest to set aside to visit Trogir - thanks again! Maggey

Maggey Mar 26th, 2009 03:32 PM

I

babsNYC Mar 26th, 2009 04:38 PM

I think 1 night in Split is enough. Split is striking and worthwhile but it is also very bustling and somewhat gritty. You'll have enough time to wander the Diocletian Palace and that's really all you need to do there.

Hvar is fabulous. I would highly recommend spending the extra time there. You can hang out in Hvar Town (especially at night when it is pulsing), take the time to explore the nature of the island and don't miss a 20 minute water taxi to the Pakleni Islands- Palmizana is beautiful.

Maggey Mar 27th, 2009 01:57 PM

Thanks babsNYC!
I think I'll take your advice and spend extra time in Hvar!
Kind regards Maggey

nukesafe Mar 27th, 2009 02:40 PM

As someone advised you earlier, the bus from Split to Trogir only takes about a half hour. If you only intend to walk the town (it's quite small), and have a bit of lunch, a few hours should let you see the charm of the place.

One of the charms of the bus is the people. On our trips we had really interesting conversations going both ways. All that was necessary was to ask someone which island we should go to if we could only travel to one. Each time we had everyone within earshot who spoke English (almost everyone) chiming in with all sorts of information on "their" favorite place. Lots of fun!

I second the suggestions for maximizing your stay on Hvar, rather than in Split. Walks along the seaside paths, and up to the castle make it a memorable place. If you are a yachtsman, be sure to have a drink down by the harbor in the afternoon when the boats are coming in; each trying for the few moorings. Looks like a polite game of bumper cars.

:-)

Maggey Mar 28th, 2009 08:00 PM

Thanks nukesafe !
I look forward to extra time in Hvar ! Regards Maggey

viking Mar 28th, 2009 08:51 PM

I found Hvar a somewhat minor attraction compared to Korcula (half way to Dubrovnik) and was glad I spent most of my time there. Don't shortchange the palace in Split; it may superficially look cluttered, but get to know it in depth (basement museum and all) and you will be amazed.