Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   2 days in zurich in april (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/2-days-in-zurich-in-april-879137/)

anksmanuja Feb 23rd, 2011 12:00 AM

2 days in zurich in april

Hi
My sister and my brother in law will be there in Zurich from April 05 (08 AM) till April 07 2011 (have flight to catch on 07th morning) on their way back from US to home. Can you suggest the things that must be done in Zurich and around in these two days. Was going through the suggestions by Cicerone but I wonder if they would be applicable for the dates that they are visiting.
Thanks

Dukey1 Feb 23rd, 2011 02:33 AM

I'm waiting for someone to tell you to go to Luzern instead

Cowboy1968 Feb 23rd, 2011 02:59 AM

Dukey1 LOL, yes that seems inevitable.

anksmanuja,

I don't know what Cicerone suggested, but you should look at Zurich Tourism's website at zurich.com to stay updated with events and exhibitions when your relatives will go there.

The Kunsthaus Art Museum is a gem. So is the Landesmuseum.

You will find impressive upscale shopping around the Bahnhofstrasse, and the famous chocolate shop of Sprüngli on Paradeplatz.
Quirky little shops and pubs in the old Niederdorf quarter on the other side of river Limmat.

NOt sure if the boats are already running in early April, but if so you go do a nice cruise on the big Zurichsee.
Or take the S-Bahn up to Uetliberg (mountain) and enjoy the panoramic views.

If they must, Luzern is an easy day trip by train from Zurich.

anksmanuja Feb 23rd, 2011 03:49 AM

Thanks for replies dukey and cowboy!!
Yeah wherever I read Luzern seems to be an obvious destination. How far is it from Zurich and what is the best mode of travel? Can they go and come back the same day after visiting Luzern??
Can u guys also suggest where all they should go in Luzern?

More importantly can u guys also suggest some authentic local dishes and the best places to have food?

Excuse me for too many questions but I only want to make sure that they should not miss out on things which are exclusive to Zurich or Switzerland!!

Thanks

mokka4 Feb 23rd, 2011 06:06 AM

Although Luzern is only 45 mins to an hour from Zurich HBF, I liked Zurich enough to spend several days exploring it last year (click on my name to read trip reports).
There is a city tour daily (starts April 1st) at 3 pm (and also, at 11 am on weekends too), which is a nice highlight of the cathedrals and neighborhoods,to get oriented. Be sure to explore the southern (lake) end of town, easily walkable from the RR, straight down Bahnhofstrasse. The old town section (Niederdorf) has a wealth of cute shops to visit and cafes to eat in. Take the regional train up to Uetliberg local mountain for great view, and climb its open, metal tower!
I know it might be considered heresy, but I say, "spend your time in Zuerich" for a treat!

mokka4 Feb 23rd, 2011 06:43 AM

If yo opt for Zuerich, You will find the Touris Info Center in a large corner office of the Hauptbahnhof (train station).
They are immensely helpful, provide free maps and can route it out for you.
Don't miss my favorite 'streets' of Augustinergasse and Napfgasse.
As for local specialties: any kind of Wurst in onion sauce, Schnitzel nach Zurchner art (veal made the Zurich way) Calanda beer, a Panache (i/2 beer and 1/2 Sprite-refreshing),
HOT CHOCOLATE (the real thing!), or the carbonated drink Rivella (made from all that leftover curd whey from cheesemaking). Schober's Komditorei (cafe-bakery) is famous, as is Felix's Teuscher Cafe, in addition to the aforementioned Sprungli cafe.
PS: ONE Boat making a 2 hr 45 min Roundtrip begins service on April 3rd from Burkliplatz Lake end of town) each day at 12:30 PM Mondays through Saturdays (change boat in Richterswil), returning at 3:15 PM.
Check www.zsg.ch if interested