Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   2 Days in Paris Sun/Mon (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/2-days-in-paris-sun-mon-143253/)

deb Jan 18th, 2002 10:20 AM

2 Days in Paris Sun/Mon

On our way home from Germany we have two days in Paris. However,most things are closed Sunday and Monday, any suggestions for something to see and do? Sightseeing and shopping are always a plus. It will be middle of February. thanks for the help.

Wendy Jan 18th, 2002 10:42 AM

Deb have you been to Paris before? What are some of your interests?

deb Jan 18th, 2002 10:45 AM

Never been to Paris, sightseeing is fine, street markets, interesting different things to see.

Bob Brown Jan 18th, 2002 11:02 AM

Deb, I went to Paris the first time as an amateur. Failed trip in many respects. I think you are wise to gather information. But Paris is like not other city. Seeing it fairly well in two days requires a good scouting report. <BR>The Louvre is open on Sunday; so is the Rodin Museum. So is the Musee d'Orsay.<BR>Notre Dame is open if a service is not in progress. So I think the question of "Where do you interests lie?" needs a more precise answer. <BR>Otherwise you are going to thrash about.<BR>For two days, why not start with a boat ride on the Seine and then take in one of the world's greatest art museums?<BR>

Wendy Jan 18th, 2002 11:13 AM

The first time I went to Paris I was only there for 2 days and this is what I did- I'm still exhausted from it! haha!<BR><BR>Stayed in the latin quarter so we walked down R. Mouffetarde (great street market) towards the Seine and went to Notre Dame. Went in, walked thru the gardens in the back then walked over/around both Isles and over to the Right bank. Went to the Hotel du Ville (gorgeous!), then walked back across Pont Neuf and up to Blvd. Ste Germaine. Had lunch at Les Deux Magots. Walked down Ste. Germaine then cut along the Seine to Pont Alexander 111. From here walked over to the Eiffle Tower, went up to the top- amazing views!! Exhausted! Back to our area for dinner.<BR><BR>The next day we went to the Lourve and got in right when they opened. Spent a couple hours there- picked our main interests, had champagne in the cafe then walked thru the Tuilleries up to Pl. Concorde. From here we walked up the Champs d'Elysee. Caught the metro and went to Montmarte- got lost and headed back home. Shopped along the Seine at the booksellers. Went back to Rue Mouffetarde for dinner.<BR>Time to put those feet up!! ;)

Grasshopper Jan 18th, 2002 11:25 AM

Wendy, Great itinerary as always! I'd like to travel with you. The only thing you left out was Bateau Mouches. A good time to sit and put your feet up and a great way to orient oneself.

deb Jan 18th, 2002 06:48 PM

Thanks for the help, as I said before, this is a small addition to our trip. Believe me, I am not going to try and "do Paris" in 48 hrs, however, I was concerned because the two days we are there are sunday/monday. So now I have some ideas to see and do while there, appreciate all the advice!