2 days in Paris!

Apr 25th, 2001, 06:56 AM
Sarah

2 days in Paris!

Hello! I have 2 days in Paris in the beginning of June and I wuld like to know if there are any "must sees"! I will be staying in a hotel very close to the Eiffel Tower and the Champs de Mar. Any fabulous AFFORDABLE restaurants nearby? All help is greatly appreciated!

Apr 25th, 2001, 08:37 AM
Sandi

Sarah,

Have you done a search on Paris in this forum? There are endless threads about it, specifically some about one and two-day visits.

I was on a tour last spring in France and we had about 21/2 days in Paris. Got to see a lot in that time, but not nearly enough. One of my favorite experiences was the evening boat ride down the Seine. Take the Metro to see Sacre Cour. If it's a clear day, you will enjoy the view of the city from the huge hill that it sits on. The inside of the church dome is very beautiful.

I wanted very badly to see the inside of St. Chapelle, but couldn't get there.
If and when I get back to Paris, this will be my first place to visit.

Happy planning!

Sandi

Apr 25th, 2001, 04:22 PM
Alice

We ate 3 times at the Brasserie Ecole Militaire on avenue de Tourville. We had broiled trout, escargot, great (huge) salads, cote de boeuf w/ potatoes, the ever-present green beans, and desserts to die for (some people seemed to come in just for dessert). The most we spent one night (appetizer, main dish, dessert, glass of wine) was about $65 total; the other nights we spent less. The staff was friendly, including the 'bird woman'... (you'll see

Apr 25th, 2001, 04:26 PM
Alice

Also, I would think 'must-see's' for 2 days would be: Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, Musee d'Orsay (Impressionist art), Notre Dame, Jardin de Luxembourg, and a walk around Montmartre (around Sacre Coeur, Place du Tertre, the vineyard, etc). Don't forget to take time to just sit at cafe, sip wine/coffee, and watch the people go by.

Apr 25th, 2001, 04:54 PM
Anne

Le Louvre is closed Tuesday and d'Orsay on Monday. or is that vise versa? Check before you go. The advice to watch the people go by is especially good. If you can take a quickie bus tour - Red double deckers don't quite fit in but there you have it - you may be able to see some sights that would be impossible by foot. I have been twice and my "I've got to come back and see that" list keeps getting longer. Definately walk over the Seine -beautiful bridges - and there is a huge Ferris wheel up for the new millenium.

Anne

Apr 25th, 2001, 05:09 PM
s.fowler

You're right Anne -- the Louvre is closed Tues and D'Orsay closed Monday.

Apr 25th, 2001, 06:53 PM
StCirq

Sarah:

As someone who is in the area of the Champs de Mars and Eiffel Tower a few times a year for the past 10 or so, I would not recommend the Brasserie Ecole Militaire for anything other than a drink and good people watching. Places I have come to enjoy a great deal better in the neighborhood include La Fontaine de Mars, l'Auberge Bressane, Thoumieux, Le Bistro de Papa, Le Florimond, d'Chez Eux, and Il Duomo (Italian).