Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   2 days in London, what should I not miss (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/2-days-in-london-what-should-i-not-miss-390187/)

patty307 Jan 21st, 2004 03:16 PM

2 days in London, what should I not miss

I will have two days in London. What are the must see. Is riding the tube fairly easy. Has anyone stayed at the London Euston Thistle? thanks.

tudorprincess Jan 21st, 2004 03:58 PM

My #1 must do is The Tower. I've been there both times I was in London and I'm going back to The Tower in two months. I even spent all day on my 35th birthday there.
As for the tube, I think it's incredibly easy once you understand how to read the map. I wish I had a stop at the end of my driveway! Have fun.

djkbooks Jan 21st, 2004 04:29 PM

Click on Destinations here on Fodor's to determine what you would find most appealing.

The buses are just as "easy" at the Tube, with the advantage, especially from a front seat on the upper deck, of the glorious scenery all along the way.

See Tripadvisor.com for reviews of Thistle Euston.

bojack Jan 21st, 2004 05:06 PM

With only 2 days, I agree with the Tower. Would also include the British Museum and Harrods (yes, it's only a store, but it is unique). I also agree with using the bus rather than the tube -- not as fast, but a lot more interesting.

Underhill Jan 21st, 2004 07:44 PM

I would put Westminster Abbey--especially the Royal Chapels--at the top of the list. Then the Tower of London, St. Paul's Cathedral, the Palace of Westminster, and tea at Brown's Hotel.

Fundoctor Jan 21st, 2004 11:51 PM

Don't miss a boat trip down the Thames. If you start at Westminister Pier and let it take you to the Tower then you could walk back along the river seeing things like Tate Modern and London Eye. National Gallergy is (free) and awesome. In Kensington you have the best Museums in the world and I also enjoy the Imperial War Museum. To see the exclusive shops try Bond Street. A show, though expensive, is terrific. Lion King? Tube is good - Taxis are expensive if used all the time but of course you can look out the windows.

Keith Jan 22nd, 2004 05:34 AM

The Tower of London, a show, either Westminster Abbey or St Paul's (probably Westminster since it is close to many buildings you should see the outside of), a pub, an Indian restaurant, a ride on the Thames.

Keith

mclaurie Jan 22nd, 2004 06:22 AM

You've gotten great advice, but what not to miss should depend on <b>your</b> likes &amp; dislikes. Isn't there something <i>you<i> always equate with London?

Many people like doing the &quot;hop on hop off&quot; bus tour. It offers an opportunity to see many of the highlights. They also have discounts to get into the Tower &amp; other places Check out

http://bigbus.co.uk/uk/html/uk_home.html

This is not the only company to offer this type of tour.

Thistle hotels are generally well regarded. Check tripadvisor.com or epinions.com for specific reviews</i></i>

mamc Jan 22nd, 2004 06:39 AM

Depending on your interests, you will have to make some decisions with only two days. The 'hop-on-hop-off&quot; bus tour is a good idea since it will take you past all of the major sights and give you a quick look. Parliament and Big Ben are great to see in passing but it isn't necessary to visit them. My very favorite things in London are the Tower, Westminster Abbey (take the vergers tour) and the British Museum. If you like art, the National Gallery is wonderful. If you like shopping, Harrods is like nothing else you will ever see (don't miss the food halls). The tube is a life-saver if you have to cover a lot of ground and is very easy to ride. London is just wonderful and you will want to return for a longer visit once you have had a taste!

GSteed Jan 22nd, 2004 07:25 AM

Tate and National. The local. Ask your host. How about either a bus trip or a tube? Best..Fish and chips, lots of vinegar...Sea Fresh near Victoria on Wilton. Maybe the Chinese area. Certainly a show, or the South Bank..

patty307 Jan 22nd, 2004 08:36 AM

Thank you all so much for the information.

telly Jan 22nd, 2004 01:26 PM

We have been in London many times and there are a few suggestions I can make. Of course it depends on the kind of things you enjoy. The tower is great - be there by 9am so you miss some crowds. If you have some extra spending money take the hop on hop of river boat that leaves from the dock by Westminster. It is a great ride, they give you an informal 'tour' and you can get off at the Tower. If you have a day pass for the tube you get a percentage off of your boat trip.
If you enjoy theatre go to leicester square and cue up in the morning for reduced priced thater tickets. My favorite is &quot;Les Miserables&quot; at the Palace Theater. - everyone should see it. If you like markets and you are there on Saturday take in the Portobello Road Market Amazing antiques, clothes, jewellry oddities just about everything you can imagine. You can spend all day. The Sheperd's Bush market is good as well it is right by the sheperd's bush tube station - great ethnic area. The coven garden market is famous and very central Buy your tickets in Leicester square then walk to conven garden. There is usually lots of entertainment at coven garden as well buskers, singers, musicians etc to enjoy lots of shopping around that area and great pubs. Westminster Abbey is great. If you don't want to spend money or don't have time to go in to the church itself you can go downstairs and do a 'brass rubbing' of a name plate or headstone They make a nice souvenier. The london Eye - the huge 'ferris wheel gives terrific views of London - It is across the bridge from Big Ben - the line ups often look very long but they move quite quickly. The best time to go is at twiglight so you also get the sparkle tour as the lights of london come on. The sunset is awesome from the eye. There are also excellent museums if that is your thing.
Best bets - the 'boat ride' the tower, coven garden, a play, a pub ride a double decker bus through central London. Do not go to the London Dungeon tourist rip off. Enjoy it is a great city.